3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share Your Hunt of Dreams  (Read 4214 times)

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share Your Hunt of Dreams
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2016, 12:27:00 AM »
Gosh where do I begin

Elk
Sheep grand slam.. I would love to be back in Alaska on a rare sunshine day chasing a Dall sheep

Argentina duck

My idea of a perfect day...
Flooded timber hunt - full limit of mallards and Woodies with a banded black duck in the mix..
Take a nap
Work out ... Lunch consisting of elk flank steak sandwich

That afternoon massive 10 pt whitetail in rut via the ivory hunter followed with either venison chilli or venison bacon wrapped jalapeño tenderloin and sleeping in front of the wood burning stove
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2016, 06:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
There have been several Dream hunts already and they lived up to my expectations.  Two that have been on the dream hunt list are Dalls Sheep (after reading Jack O'Conner's accounts in Outdoor Life) and Red Stag.

Sheep are out now.  At 67 neither my body nor my wallet is in shape to do sheep.

Stag on the other hand is still a full on glimmer.  I'd love to chase them in Scotland if or when they allow bow hunting, or Eastern Europe.  Been to Argentina once for birds and would love to go back for Red Stag.  Last and likely the most expensive would be New Zealand.  A couple of months roaming the countryside fishing, hiking and ending with a Red Stag hunt during the roar would be superb.

Oh wait, forgot about Alaska.  Always been on my dream hunt list and I've never been - yet.  Moose and Caribou float hunt - yep.
New Zealand is not as unattainable as you'd think. I spent two weeks in NZ in 2015. Hunted Sika DIY on north island and reds guided on South Island for less than what a western guided elk would cost, including airfare. Although I hunted with my bow success came with a rifle so can't post any pics. Crown land is almost free to hunt. As long as you can settle for something less than Friends monster, you can hunt reds on the cheap in NZ.

Offline Haydenj7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
10days canoe trip through the Top End of Australia, chasing pigs, scrub Bulls, and fishing for Barra. It has been done before on the Mary river by some well known aussie bow hunters. It is a Total outback adventure.

I am currently planning this for 2018 with 5 mates, 3 x2 man canoes, it will take considerable time to acquire permissions from land owners as the trip will span about 100km by river.
Chillin Downunder

Online memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »
Pete McMiller,
NZ Red stag is easy to do on the cheap. For the price of an airfare and otc license you can be hunting public land and staying in their backcountry huts.

Haydenj7,
Would love to do a Northern Australia canoe trip, will be done the next time my mates go down the Mitchell, I'll be there.
I'm also keen to do a float trip down here in Victoria for Sambar and trout. I have another mate who tells me of canoeing down and picking up a pair of 30 inch casties out of the river and 5lb trout in an isolated stretch of river in the high country

As for my dream animals , I've decided to bite the bullet an go for Tahr this year. Will be a spring trip and can't wait to join the likes if Clint and Mark in hunting these mountain monarchs.
Banteng are another animal I can't get out of my head and will get done in the next few years.
In North America, Elk and Black Bear are at the top. Coues and Aoudad are also very strong desires to pursue .
Can't wait to get out there.

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
Got two. Alaska for brown bear and moose;buffalo with a longbow.
Revelation 3:20

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
I just like to chase the whitetail deer with friends.  No big dream hunts here
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
I am going to do a fly-in to Cold Fish Lake in the Spatzisi before I turn 40.  Still have a  couple years to pinch pennies.  Don't care what I hunt once I get there, sheep, goat, caribou.  the quarry is truly secondary to the experience of walking the same trails as Fred.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
Any hunt with my late brother. He passed while planning a trip to our camp during the 2014 whitetail season. It would have been his first season with a longbow after a few years off from hunting in general.

Hitting a big caribou migration would be incredible as well, since I'm dreaming...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
I have always thought that sheep hunting was greatest I could ever do. That would truly be a dream hunt for me. Dalls or Stones always enthused me. But that will never happen.
I have always thought that on of the most magnificent trophies that I could possibly achieve is a big muley buck. I think those horns are awesome.
NRA Life Member

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
Lots of them for me. I'd love to go back to Africa and suspect I will one day. Luckily for me a lot of my dreams involve whitetails. I'd like to have access to 500 acres in Iowa for at least one full season and be able to hunt as many days as I want. That one will probably have to wait till retirement. I'd also like to take a B&C whitetail on public land. THAT one may be getting close to impossible these days.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
Would relish an opportunity to actually return to the North Island.

My most unlikely dream fulfillment would to be harvest a superb whitetail from my own developed property and from the ground.

Hundreds and hundreds of hours of love in  planning, strategising, labor and in the field have provided tremendous reward.

The score is merely a reflection of the challenge. I have only seen two booners in Kentucky and neither time was I actually hunting whitetails. Perhaps, it will miraculously occur as a fortuitous culmination of circumstances since at least two booners are harvested yearly in near proximity.

The burning flame of desire of just taking in the gifted full hunting experience alleviates the desire to having to loose an arrow. The seemingly unrealistic endeavor provides ample opportunity to return to the field?

Did pass on three 3 1/2 yr olds this past season at ~15 yards and had two 4 1/2 yr olds at approximately 35 yards...well beyond my effective  hunting range.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
At my age (will turn 70 in Nov) most of my dream hunts have been discarded, or turned into memories. These days I dream of hunting whitetails on our property in NC and chasing pigs and javelin in Texas. I guess I can't complain as my longbow and I have shared some great days afield from Africa to Alaska with lots of stops in between.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
To Hunt with my father (which never did) and brother

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2023, 09:31:50 PM »
For me the dream is less about what I hunt and more about where I hunt, perhaps a strange thing to say but to have the opportunity to hunt anything with a bow in New Zealand, Scandinavia, or Peru would be extremely cool.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2023, 07:45:56 AM »
  all elk or bear     :archer:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2023, 08:23:25 AM »
Interesting thread. This will be my third response over the years.

Some of my dreams have been fulfilled. I’ve hunted big bear in Manitoba and was fortunate to take a Pope and Young bear. I’ve hunted elk with my son in Colorado a few times. Also got a chance to elk hunt in ND.

Time may be running out, but I still look forward to a sheep, moose, or antelope hunt  in ND.  I am looking forward to a whitetail hunt in Iowa perhaps next year with an old friend, if we can get drawn.

I’d still like to try pig hunting, but haven’t been able to make it happen yet.

If I won the lottery, I’d like to hunt with Ben Maher, on the other side of the world.

Anticipation is a wonderful thing.
Gary

"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2023, 09:46:57 AM »
Bull moose.
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2023, 03:19:22 PM »
I've thought about this subject for a couple days now and have to say after 58 yrs in this game most of my dreams are memories. My dream hunt was in 1979 to BC where Fred hunted with Bill Love, Bill was still outfitting then and my hunting buddy and I booked a 14 day Moose, Mountain Goat and Caribou hunt with him staring Aug 15th.

The trip of a lifetime, I shot a P&Y moose the first afternoon! It was a great start but being able to sit around the supper table for the next few days with Bill relating tales of Fred's adventures was really an experience. My buddy shot a P&Y caribou next and a few days later I got one also. We both passed on Mountain Goats that our guide said weren't big enough.

We got into situations that were quite interesting, walking on a grizzly trail in the dark, jumping from one cliff to another and almost crashing a boat into a huge boulder come to mind. One day after spending a night on the open mountain we had to climb some cliffs hand over hand with our bows over our shoulders to get within shooting range day of 2 goats. Ater the goats left we couldn't climb down so up we went again to the top and circled the mountain to get out.

I've been fortunate to be able since then to hunt from Alaska to Newfoundland and in between and from California to  Mississippi to Washington state to Michigan and one trip to Africa but have never found any place more beautiful than that area in BC.

I guess my dream hunt now would have to be for a Big bull elk, I've hunter elk 29 times but they still get me going.

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2023, 04:26:28 PM »
In my hectic life, full of work and family obligations, every hour hunting is a dream.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2023, 09:30:09 PM »
Wake up early to bacon, eggs, and hash browns.  The weather is mild and the skies are clear.  I'm surrounded with loved ones and heading into pristine wilderness.  With my bow in hand and loved ones in the truck we go out to watch the sunrise through the trees.  The action is good and we all get quality meat.  Prayers are sent up, the fire is stoked, and we eat like kings in the company of loved ones with a loyal K9 companion at my side.  The species doesn't matter.  The location doesn't matter.  The side or class of the animal doesn't matter.  But the time spent with and memories of loved ones does.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©