3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gold Tip Glue  (Read 568 times)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gold Tip Glue
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
I have not tried Big Jims glue yet, it is on my to do list. I use golf shaft epoxy from Golfsmith. It is made to take shock. It does have a serious drawback, not reversable. For tuning I glue up point end of shaft. If I need to cut shaft I do it from nock end.

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Use regular low / dual temp hot glue sticks from any store. That is what I use and it works better then any glues I tried. Plus you can get a bag with a lifetime supply for a few dollars.

Online acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
I am sure there are several glues that will work.  However when I started using Gold Tip shafts many years ago, I also started using GT glue.  I have never had an insert pull out.  It might be a sales gimic, but the manufacture knows what works on their arrows.

Do you want to put Chevy parts on your Dodge?  Go with the manufacture's recommendation and all will be well.

Just my opinion

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
I just lost an insert that was put in with GT Glue. It was put together by my brother. I shot three arrows at my neighbors target. One still had the GT Glue and the other two had already come loose and been glued with hot glue stick.

Unbeknown to me, the target was made with a few layers of cardboard and then plywood behind that. The arrows went deep into the plywood and only one came out, the last insert that had been glued with GT. So I dug out the insert and reinstalled it with hot glue stick. And it is still in place.

I do not know if this was because my brother used too little or too much, or it was from the impact into the plywood, but I do know that none of the three inserts stayed in with the GT Glue. I have yet to loose one with hot glue though.

Maybe this is because I am shooting in sub zero weather and the GT Glue gets more brittle then the hot glue? I don't know. I would be curious what others think about this.

Dave

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
It's always a possibility a point will pull out with hot melt on any shaft. Small price to pay versus epoxying in your points and buying new shafts when u want to try something new. Rough insides with rolled up sand paper, clean well with acetone and a Q-tip, hot melt them and go.       :jumper:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©