3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barry and Gene Wensels occupation  (Read 1599 times)

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Barry and Gene Wensels occupation
« on: January 15, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
I have long respected and studied how Barry and Gene hunt. October whitetails was the first time I saw hunting on tv.  I was curious about what occupation they were in when they were younger. I know they guided in Montana and Africa. I mean no disrespect with my question,just curious ! I would like to meet them someday. I think their love for bowhunting and commitment to the sport is stellar
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barry and Gene Wensels occupation
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
I may be mistaken, but I think they both are Chiropractors.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
Yep, Back Strappers and Back Snatchers    :D
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
Thanks guys! They and so many others on this site are the real deal. Both are quick to thank their families first for all the time they spent away from them while pursuing their lifelong passion.
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
Those guys are my hero's.  I have been reading their stories since I was a little kid.  The first hunting I ever saw on video was October whitetails. Generations before us had Howard Hill, Fred Bear, and Glen St. Charles.  My hunting hero's have been Barry and Gene for as long as I can remember.  Thanks so much to both of them for selflessly sharing their knowledge and being fantastic stewards of our sport.  They'll probably never know how much they have done for one adventurous kid with dreams of being a great bowhunter, and a whole bunch of others.  I'm also for a place like this, where we can interact with such fellows.  Great thread!!!

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 05:33:00 PM »
EXXXXXXXXACTLY !
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
There are 5 bowhunters whose word I take as is and two of that small group are the Wensel brothers.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
Interesting comments....I use to watch the 'Bowhunting October Whitetails' and 'High Noon Bucks' every pre season growing up....and I would have never dreamed those boys would be posting on a web site I started.  No web sites back then to even think about starting.

I read and hang on every word they say or write.

My hat is off to them and they are a feather in the cap of Trad Bowhunting...and Bowhunting in general.

:notworthy:      :notworthy:      :notworthy:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
Terry, although I ve never been caught on tape doing so, every time I make a great shot on a deer, I twitch my eyebrows up and down at my imaginary cameraman. Just like brother Barry.
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
Can you imagine calling either one of those rednecks "Doctor Wensel"???? :v)
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Is the "Doctor" in?

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Interesting comments....I use to watch the 'Bowhunting October Whitetails' and 'High Noon Bucks' every pre season growing up....and I would have never dreamed those boys would be posting on a web site I started.  No web sites back then to even think about starting.

I read and hang on every word they say or write.

My hat is off to them and they are a feather in the cap of Trad Bowhunting...and Bowhunting in general.

:notworthy:        :notworthy:        :notworthy:  
This is one of the things I love about this site in general!  I've been able to talk to people I never would have dreamed about talking to before.  

For example, at one point I was new and asked a question about Big Jim's bows.  To my amazement, JIM answered my question.  When I asked the question, I hadn't even considered that possibility!  

Terri,

Thanks to you for the foresight to create such a great thing in such a way that it's greatness is able to be maintained and not tainted!

:notworthy:      :notworthy:      :notworthy:
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jake Scott:
Those guys are my hero's.  I have been reading their stories since I was a little kid.  The first hunting I ever saw on video was October whitetails. Generations before us had Howard Hill, Fred Bear, and Glen St. Charles.  My hunting hero's have been Barry and Gene for as long as I can remember.  Thanks so much to both of them for selflessly sharing their knowledge and being fantastic stewards of our sport.  They'll probably never know how much they have done for one adventurous kid with dreams of being a great bowhunter, and a whole bunch of others.  I'm also for a place like this, where we can interact with such fellows.  Great thread!!!

Jake
Couldn't have said it better myself. Gotta admit the first time I met Barry (without gene) I was a bit "star struck" as I was just a kid when I first saw this videos and watched them repeatedly. So at the time. In my 30s I gott play it cool ya' know. Well he just brings the smiles and laughs right out of you.  I've been fortunate enough since then to have shared several weeks in their company and they are the sweetest down to earth guys who are un matched in story telling.  They keep inviting me to do things but I've learned, I think they invite Julie and are just "cool with it" if I show up.    :rolleyes:

Offline suburbanirma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
Gary Logsdon wrote a nice "The Final Wensel Pig Gig" story for the Winter 2014 TradArchers' World magazine. Sounds like everybody had a great time and enjoyed the antics of the Wensels.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
One of the best benefits of hunting with Gene, especially after a long drive to Iowa or a long flight to Africa, is getting your back put back where it belongs. Mark Mitten (Carcass) is also a chiropractor and is a good guy to have around...

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
True story here. My late brother met Barry at a WV Bow hunter's Association gathering some years ago. This was before you could buy a "grunt call" on the market. They discussed a lot about calling and bowhunting deer.

My brother wanted to hunt elk but had never been out west. He called Barry and ask for some help.

Barry went to the time and trouble of making cassette recordings recommending drainages, techniques, etc. for hunting in his "then" home state of Montana.

He would record some and then say... got a patient, be back soon... take care of the patient and return.

This sticks out in my memory as one of the highlights of my brother's life. He died in a plane crash in June of 1993 at the age of 45.

No words can express how thankful I am that he met Barry... and that Barry was so helpful to a man he barely knew.

THANKS BARRY!!!!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 02:33:00 AM »
My introduction to the Wensel's was reading Barry's book Once Upon A Tine...that book is a great read

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
Speaking of awesome people. Many people on here have given their time to me, a newbie with zero knowledge! In fact Big Jim actually talked to me for almost an hour on the phone on a Sunday morning, talk about a wealth of knowledge!
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
I have been reading and following the Wensels since the Bowhunter Mag. in the 70's.Getting congrats from Barry and hearing his stories for almost a week at Bear Quest was a trip I will never forget.

Online northern lights

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Got to meet Gene many years ago at a Classic whitetails seminar, funny it was held at a somewhat swanky(for me) place and my brother and I were dressed in jeans and flannel shirts just gawking at the mounts and feeling a little under dressed when who walks in (in jeans and same shirt as me) walks right up to us and says you two got to be brothers, had a blast and too this day whenever I order from B.O.T.B., Gene comments on visiting his relatives in little neighboring town that's name is same as ours spelled backwards, have all their books and bout half a dozen bowhunter lids but only one lucky one, and darned if Gene didn't say in a note that it was gonna be my lucky hat.
Now we're digging where the taters are.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©