3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barry and Gene Wensels occupation  (Read 1600 times)

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barry and Gene Wensels occupation
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
Yep, chiropractor for 22 years. Two years in VT and 20 years in MT. Being my own boss worked out well. I could have made a lot more money in some city, but living/working in Whitefish, MT was great timing back then. I took Thursday as my weekly "day off". I was pretty independent. In September I'd just not schedule any appointments for Friday or Saturday. You can get a lot done in a four-day weekend when you live right in vacationland. Actually I enjoyed practicing and the people for all those years. But by '93 I got sick of fighting with insurance companies and sold out. Guided whitetail bowhunters on the Milk River in eastern MT until the EHD wiped them out. Moved to Iowa in '99. I started my whitetail bootcamp sessions sharing my hunting techniques (still have openings for this year). I guess I also should mention I made some bowhunting videos and did some writing over the years. I've been blessed with this lifestyle and am especially thankful to those I've helped along the way. Thank you all. BW

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks Uncle Barry, looking forword  to the boot camp this year!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
"Hunting October Whitetails" started a long, enjoyable journey for me. Thank you Barry for opening the door. I've never met you but I am happy to claim you as a brother and mentor. God Bless you, Gene and others like you that have dedicated their lives to the advancement of traditional archery.    :archer2:

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
You still troll for big bucks with sheds tied to you rear end uncle Barry ? Lol..loved that seen !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
I met Barry several years ago in Jackson MS at the Extravaganza we have in August. I hadnt heard he was going to be there and I was just strolling around checking everything out that Friday evening. Rounded a corner and looked up and standing right in front of me was Barry. My face must have lit up like a Christmas tree cause he just started grinning. lol I said Barry Wensel !!!  Holy Cow !!!  It was hilarious. I bothered the heck out of him for at least 20 minutes and could have stayed for hours but I knew he had work to do. Was a memorable time for me.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
I met Barry while standing at a urinal in Grand Junction at a PBS banquet in the 80s. We didn't shake hands.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
Dined with them at the PBS banquet in San Antonio TX and they were a hoot!!!!
  :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
Wudstix: I see you are a professional weapons safety manager. I've been carrying heat the last couple years just in case. Can you get me some new free guns? bw

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
I met Gene in 1983 in 86 went to his office in MT and bs for a while i think Barry was working in VT
at that time. Also in 1986 went to Pauls S for a day. Where in the heck does the time go.There are so many great people in Trad archery its awesome the friends you make over the years
IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
have a question for you barry.. In Bowhunting october whitetails where abouts in VT was it filmed?? i live 5 mins from VT, and i swear the mountains you show in the movie look familiar..
 was it in southern VT??  
Gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
Gaff: None of Bowhunting October Whitetails was filmed in VT that I remember. Most of it was filmed in eastern and western Montana. And there were a couple segments filmed in PA (cornfield scenes)and NC. It's been so long since I actually sat down and watched it I'd have to think about it, but I can't remember any VT scenes. I had 4100 feet of old regular 8MM bowhunting footage I took back in the '60s put on DVD last summer that had quite a bit of old Vermont footage on it. But nothing in production yet. bw

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
BW - GW - Paul Brunner are the reasons I got into recurves. October WTs is the reason I got a silver tip! Wasn't a mystic of "simple" or nostalgia, I just thought curves would be a better hunting weapon after watching those videos. Still think I am right too.

Been a blast ever since. Got to meet Barry and Gene on one of those hog hunts in Florida think I wasn't long out of high school??? Had to be mid early 90s as my Dad was still living?

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
I met Barry while standing at a urinal in Grand Junction at a PBS banquet in the 80s. We didn't shake hands.
That right there is a classic line; somebody needs to permanently record stuff like that!

Comments like that one ruin computer keyboards    :biglaugh:

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
Ha, October Whitetails I&II and Highnoon Bucks are a preseason staple every year.  I usually will put it on while sharping broadheads.  I DVR'd the episode of Mossyoak's Hunting the Country with Gene and Barry, but its on my Tivo which is no longer hooked up.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
I purchased Hunting Rutting Whitetails by Gene Wensel and he autographed the book for me back on August 24, 1982. I still refer to that book and reread it every fall when Bowhunting hunting season is coming. It will always be in my library.
I don't remember where I purchased it. Might have been ETAR when it first started or at another rendezvous. Nice people the Wensel's!

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
I met Barry at the WV Bowhunters banquet and enjoyed his seminars as well as the time we spent talking 1 on 1. A fine gentleman and a credit to our sport.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
Strongly recommend Barry's boot camp.  The New WI state record buck harvest has roots in one of Barry's camps in 07.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
I have not had the good fortune to meet neither Barry or Gene but I have immensely enjoyed their writing and film work throughout the years.

As a lifelong hardcore northern Canadian woodsman I have the tendency to be somewhat skeptical of (for lack of a better word) "celebrity" hunters... but, the Wensel brothers, besides obviously being intelligent and very knowledgeable come across as being sincere, honest, and down to earth... and absolutely hilarious - on purpose I assume... or at least I hope. LOL!
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
I believe the Wensel's have had a huge impact on a lot more bowhunters than they even realize, I for one.  Hunted in Texas last spring with them and what a treat that was.  Gene even gave me a blind he had set up and I was able to shoot a big hog at just 10 yards.  They also inspired me to work harder for deer season and I was able to take my largest WT after more than 40 years of bowhunting.  Will be seeing them again in a month as I go back to Tx to do the PBS hunt for hogs, can't wait.
habujohn

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
Fred Bear started the fire in me years ago. The Wensel's have fanned the flames for years now! Good folks!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©