3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I was cold and wet, but I kept going...  (Read 607 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
I was cold and wet, but I kept going...
« on: January 15, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
I got home from work and had about an 1 hr or so, it was cold, wet, and not a good time. However, I couldn't stop myself from stringing up the bow and giving it a whirl..I shot from 10-20 yds. Hit some good shots and missed a bunch. I kept saying this is the last shot, yet, I found myself shooting another 3 arrows until dark. I am determined to do this, I will be going to a trad shoot in my area on Saturday, not sure that Im actually going to shoot the targets, but Im going to soak up some help. Have not had this much fun in many years.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I was cold and wet, but I kept going...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
I would shoot, what do you have to lose? Very few people were natural born archers.

Quite a few years ago when I came to me senses and went back trad gear,  I  had been shooting in a compound league.
The next year I went back with my 38 lb Root recurve and shot league against the compound guys.  Nobody really said much/ it was all good.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
Heck yea shoot. Not going to hurt nothing. That's the way we started. Learned a bunch from guys there. Good luck, have fun!

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Yeah go have some fun   :archer2:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
We'll see. Paradocs will be there, he will give me a guiding hand!
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Keep at it! I think they mean go ahead and shoot a the 3D shoot.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
I just figured that out and edit my post!

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
Good for you, traditional archery is the sport of kings.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
Sounds better than sitting on the couch!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
Don't leave saying I wish I had shot the course.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 11:29:00 PM »
Sometime's you'll be surprised. You may not have great success shooting at a round paper/bag target, but when you get on the 3D course your eye has a natural way of tucking the arrow right behind the shoulder.

I think that primal instinct is in all of us, and you get a much better feel shooting a 3D course in your back yard.

Go shoot, you just may be surprised!
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
My first shoot was indoors during an Ohio winter---I still remember the sound of my arrows bouncing off the floor, the wall etc.  That made sure everyone new when I missed---and I missed a lot.  That lead to some coaching and getting to know the folks there.  I think you will find much support from the folks that you shoot with.  I still remember one shot on an outdoor 3 D shoot when I was "playing through" some compound shooters---with all eyes on me I drew back and put one in the 11 ring of the pig target---one of the compound shooters asked "how did you do that?"  I told him that if I thought about how I did it I might not be able to do it again.  Get out there and have fun---let us know how it went.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
I will certainly do that. You think anyone will care if I stand a little closer on some targets?

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
If I were you I wouldn't want to stand closer just to avoid acting like shooting with a trad bow was a "handicap"...I'd stand toe to toe with them and see how I could do.

Just me though, to each his own  :D
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
well, I could, but arrows are expensive to lose  :)

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
Some shoots have stakes for compound and then closer stakes for trad .... even in trad shoots if I have a stake I don't like I move to where I like it, I shoot for fun not score. Go have fun
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
Shoot whatever stakes/place you want at each target, much more important to have fun right now. And yes arrows can get expensive and looking for arrows buried in ground is not fun.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
I totally agree with katman and elkken--you are there to have fun---shoot from wherever you want to shoot from.  This may change down the road if you start to feel like competing---but maybe not.  I used to compete in the muzzleloading matches and got to a point where I put too much pressure on my performance---it was no longer fun at that point.  My mantra at the 3D shoots is "i'll never win a trophy"---of course I do try my best and feel great as long as I am improving---but I measure my success against me--no one else.  JUST HAVE FUN---that's what this is about.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
Trust I won't be winning any trophies any time soon. I never even shot compound contest. This is strictly a learning outing for me. I am not quite set up yet. I will have some people look at my brace, my form, my grip, my release, stance, the works. Then I will pick their brain about arrow length and tuning and point weight. Oh they are going to want to get rid of me after a while, I will tax their patience.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
Most fellows will be more than glad to help, pass it along, that's the way trad is.

Been shooting a bow now starting my 40th year. Can not remember the last time I turned in a score card at a shoot, and it is not due to old timers disease. I know how I shot and had fun doing it. The trophies on the bookcase are nice to look at but are not as important as they once were. One other thing when I do shoot a 3-D course I now ignore the score rings and aim where I would if hunting that critter for a quick humane kill. Makes it more applicable and enjoyable for me.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©