3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: carbon to wood spine  (Read 229 times)

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
carbon to wood spine
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
I would like to get some wood arrows for one of my bows.  If I use stu's calculator to determine the dynamic spine of the carbon set up I use now that are tuned to the bow and then develop a wood arrow setup with the same dynamic spine am I good to go?
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: carbon to wood spine
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
I will start off by saying if your carbon arrows are tuned properly the same dynamic spine wood arrows will work perfect (well they do for me).

When I tune my wood arrows I will weigh a broadhead and a field point to make certain they weigh the same. I will tune with the Adcock method using the arrow with the broadhead to tell me what, if any adjustments need to be made.

I do make different strings for carbon and wood arrows. Seems the nocks for wood arrows are bigger than the carbon nocks that I use, which requires larger serving for the woodies.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
If I get tapered shafts does that effect the prediction from the calculator?  I assume it is set up for parallel shafts.

I do make different strings to fine tune, increasing and decreasing the number of strands and type of serving to get nock fit and fine adjust for tuning
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
You'll be close, but will need to shoot them to find out.  Though dynamic spine may be the same, wood is generally physically heavier throughout the shaft. You may need more static/dynamic spine with wood to get the same arrow flight vis-a-vis carbon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©