3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what is the most consistent wood for arrows?  (Read 655 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
what is the most consistent wood for arrows?
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
I have only shot carbon for my short trad archery career.  I am wanting a set of wood arrows to shoot competitions with.  Here is LA we have a "recurve" class and a "traditional recurve" class with the only difference being the arrows being shot.  I want the most consistent arrow I can get as far as weight and straightness.  

Any help would be appreciated.  Also a good place to start for what arrows to get.  I shoot a #54@29" LB and a BW MAIII that is #56@29.  

What spine should I look into?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what is the most consistent wood for arrows?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Get in touch with RMSG. Their cedars are weighed and spined down to a gnat's butt, and they can help with which spines will work best for your bows.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
I would think the longbow is going to need a 70# shaft at 30" an 125 up front. The recurve closer to 85#. I really like the surewood shafts as you can call and get what you want as far as weight and spine. I will tell you that most of us can't tell the difference when the weight strays 20 gr either way. For me spine variation is far more a problem.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
Also if you have arrows that are shooting good such as carbon , then enter those specs in to Stu's calculator. Then you can play with different wood length, point combinations to match up to what your bow likes. It's cheaper than buying a lot of shafts that won't work.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Onehair:
I would think the longbow is going to need a 70# shaft at 30" an 125 up front. The recurve closer to 85#. I really like the surewood shafts as you can call and get what you want as far as weight and spine. I will tell you that most of us can't tell the difference when the weight strays 20 gr either way. For me spine variation is far more a problem.
that is a good point.  I have little to no incite to wood arrows, so any help is appreciated.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
For many, many years the best wood arrow was Port Orford Cedar from Oregon...and if you can find some good quality old growth POC I think it still is the best.  As supplies of POC dwindled, other wood arrow materials were tried and proven.  

Personally, my second choice is Doug Fir since it's a little heavier, more durable, but harder to straighten.  It is important to match the spine (at least within 5 lb) and I like to keep weight within 10-20 gr.)  

The guys at Surewood know their stuff and can sure help set you up with the right shaft.
Lon Scott

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
i like doug fir, its a tough wood, or its equivalent- hemlock, just as good.
but i personally prefer sitka spruce- its lighter- which allows for a heavier point- creating a better foc with the same total overall weight.
its incredibly tough- and easy to straighten.
 and it dont stink like that POC   :D   so no need to break them for the aroma   :biglaugh:  
i think any of the proven woods are great- just choose the one that has the properties you like.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
I would recommend douglas fir... if it was available in quantities for matched spines to be available. So I will have to recommend poc from RMSG as they are the only seller offering matched spines in wood.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 12:36:00 AM »
You'll find what you need in matched spines and weights with Surewood Shafts. Steve was in the shop today tapering shafts in spine groups from 100# down to 40#. Great straight grained shafts!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 03:52:00 AM »
Snag's on the money.

Really, anyone that can spine and weight match will give you consistent arrows.  The last set I made myself, I got from RMSG.  72# at 29.5" work perfectly out of my BW PSA 50#@28".  That last dozen I made all came within 3 grains of each other.  

About 5 years ago, I stopped buying shafts in the standard 5# range and started buying them spine and weight matched.  The difference is noticeable...and worth the few extra bucks.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
Are you planning on building them or having them built.

If you are having them built, the Fletcher will take care of matching spine, weight and straightening.

If you are building your own, I haven't bought a lot but had great success with Surewood Shafts.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
Are you planning on building them or having them built.

If you are having them built, the Fletcher will take care of matching spine, weight and straightening.

If you are building your own, I haven't bought a lot but had great success with Surewood Shafts.
i am not sure at this moment. I would love to do it all my self.  But I don't own a lot of the tools needed(taper tool, straightener, nor do i own a good grain scale, pathetic, I know). lol.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
Is RMSG the only one offerinfg shafts in matched spine.  Or does sureshaft also spine in 3 lb groups?
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
Elite arrow offers arrows in 3# spine group they also make arrows for Ron La Clair.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
The question was, what is the most consistent wood for arrows?  I make Fir and have shot them, also shot POC and Hemlock and I have see Spruce.  My point is if the quality is good all wood arrows are great.  The trick is getting good quality logs, because they make the best arrows.  What ever wood you choose, shoot it and enjoy.
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Surewoods are the good stuff...and you would be hard-pressed to find anyone more helpful...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Suzanne St, Charles Glenn's Daughter makes some beauties. I ordered at least 3 dozen over the years from her. Northwest Archery 360-897-2393 Sitka Spruce, cedars and my all time favorites Douglas Fir. I like The Dougies the best all around. You can call her and get a 3 arrow test kit.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
By the way My wood arrows were cut 28"'s for my 27" draw. My Longbows were all around 50lbs @ my 27" draw. Seemed like 55/60's worked best for me with 125 or 145 up front. You could also try 50/55 with 125 up front.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
If you want premade arrows I say Wilderness Custom Arrows or Elite Arrows.  Both will make you a matched set that you won't be able to outshot..
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
When I buy fir it is from Surewood. They have been so straight I don't check them anymore.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©