3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Samick Sage  (Read 443 times)

Offline Sacco

• Trad Bowhunter
Samick Sage
« on: January 17, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
I recently posted under "Montana Long Bow"
  After a lot of discussion and shooting my buddies recurve I made the decision to get rid of my 55# Montana Long Bow and go with the 45# Samick Sage recurve.  
   If you haven't read my previous post I'm a virgin Trad shooter.  I've bent a avid hunter for 25yrs, specifically for deer with my a bow.  I'm looking forward to the switch. My goal is to be a proficient shooter and to ultimately be able to harvest deer.
   I've been watching every video on Trad archery possible along with reading up on it. Looking forward to everyone's advice on technique, set up, product preferences, etc.  And of course any feedback on the Samick Sage I just purchased.
   Thanks again, Sacco

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Samick Sage
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
If I remember correctly you have a longer draw? If so, you would be better suited with the Samick Journey.  Basically the same bow as the Sage, just 2" longer and will handle a longer draw more comfortably.

Put a good string on it, it's an outstanding bow for the money.  I won both of the long-distance novelty shoots at last year's KY Tradfest with a Journey fitted with a BCY-X string;  a standing (not strutting) turkey @ approximately 75 yds, and a small deer @ approximately 100 yds.

Chad

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Cant go wrong with a samick. Like Lbr put a good string on it.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by LBR:
If I remember correctly you have a longer draw? If so, you would be better suited with the Samick Journey.  Basically the same bow as the Sage, just 2" longer and will handle a longer draw more comfortably.

Put a good string on it, it's an outstanding bow for the money.  I won both of the long-distance novelty shoots at last year's KY Tradfest with a Journey fitted with a BCY-X string;  a standing (not strutting) turkey @ approximately 75 yds, and a small deer @ approximately 100 yds.

Chad
Great advice. Chad is right, the Sage/Journey shoots as good [or better] than some custom bows I've shot. My brother has the Journey setup, very smooth pulling bow.
Put a Low stretch string on it and you're good to go.

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
IMO, aluminum arrows will be easy for tuning to begin with.  2016s if you have a longer draw , should work.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
i was with sacco yesterday, and even though hes taller than sasquatch he is only drawing about 29"..
im sure as he gets more comfortable that will increase slightly. but hes deffinatly jumped head first into this crazy obsesion we all share ...

now we just have to get him a strap on quiver and some arrows.. we'll be stump shooting as soon as hes set up..
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
fast flight sting is a must, with some good string silencers.  I have large hands and added a wrap to mine (tennis racket handle wrap), makes you more consistent with not gripping but maintaining that open hand.

then make and try several arrow weights, I have a 55 lbs and try to keep about 100 grain insert and a 175 to 200 grain head on top of that.
with 45 lbs, I might try for inserts plus 125 to 150, but keep open minded for what weight seems to shoot best.

them it technique.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Sacco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice above. I'm glad I spent some time shooting my buddy Gaffs recurve and my long bow. The long bow seems to be more of a advanced shooters bow. I like the bigger shelf on the recurve. Especially for a new guy like me.
   I wanna order a new string before my bow arrives.  If anyone has the 45# Samick Sage and could measure the string for me I'd really appreciate it.
    Again thanks for all the input. Keep it coming.
                                                            Sacco

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
58.5".  That will give you some adjustment for fine tuning.

I like 20 strands of BCY-X, Flemish, with the loops padded to 24.  Very consistent and stable.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
I bought a set of 45 lb limbs for my samick to go along with the 60 lb limbs I started with. At 30 inches the 45 lb limbs drew 57 lbs with no noticeable stack. No complaints but I'm just not sure how consistent their weight designations are.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
Youlld be happy with the sage! Great shooter for the money! I killed biggest deer of my life with one this season!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
See Chad (LBR) for a string.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
LBR's BCY X string is hard to beat...

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Well we strung brads new sage last night and shot the firsts arrows. This was with no shelf material and the stock string that I think is probably junk..  I will say the bow shoots awesome! No stack at all and smooth through the draw.

I'm totally impressed with this bow. And for that kind of money I'm blown away. It literally shoots as nice as bows I've had that cost 5x as much.    Pics to come.
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
The string that comes with it is a standard "one size (strand count) fits all".  It will work, but with a good string that bow really comes to life.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
yes, i agree. he has one coming from allen at tenringstrings.com.  just have to come up with a good arrow now
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 11:49:00 PM »
I am new to trad bows and I am also investing in a Samick Sage at 45#.  I would love to hear what arrow combinations work well with yours before I buy mine.  My DL is only 27".

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
If you want to shoot carbon I'd get some 500spine and a field point test kit and start there. May cut them down eventually. The cut on center shelf of the sage is pretty forgiving to spine. I shoot arrow dynamics high plains in 400 spine 30in with 175 points out of my 50# sage. Great bow for the money!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
sacco and i dialed in some .600 spine gold tips as well as some Beman Centershots. both 29.5" and 200 grains up front.. like darts
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©