3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GPS help?????  (Read 418 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
GPS help?????
« on: January 17, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
Alright guys, I have been a map/compass guy since I was a little kid. Then maps/compasses were hammered into me in the Army and used exclusively for the past 22 years. Well, seeing as I'm going on a fly-in moose hunt with my Longbow this year (self guided) I will be in North Western Ontario and all travel will be by boat or canoe.

Here is where some help is needed. The terrain is completely flat, heavily forested, wet and it will be dark whenever I will be on the move. None of that is very conducive to paper map usage.

All that to say I'm seriously considering purchasing a GPS. I started looking last night when I got home from work, and my mind was boggled. I couldn't believe the different types of gps's that are available and all the functions they have on them (are they really that necessary to,have), and not to mention...the price. So I did what most anyone would do...Stopped looking. I tried again after work today, and trying to decide what I need is useless. Its like me going to Victoria's Secret, I want them all, but wouldn't have a clue what to do when I got it.           :bigsmyl:          

I NEED HELP!!! Others would probably agree with that last statement.

What GPS would you guys recommend, and why? I'm kinda liking the idea of a touch screen GPS, but not sold on it yet. Keep in mind when replying, that when it comes to technology, I'm similar to a Caveman wearing boxing gloves. I'm basically wanting something that has a map, and is capable of getting me to my setup in the morning, and back to camp at night (4-6 miles is not out of the question). I want to be able to navigate (in the dark) the many lakes and bays where I will be hunting, and if it is at all possible, not spend as much on the unit as I am spending on the moose license. Maybe you have an old GPS that still works fine that doesn't get used anymore because you upgraded. I don't mind buying used, as long as I'm buying something of quality, AND I will provide a very loving home for it.

Please feel free to pick my ideas apart. I take criticism well...when I listen. Just ask my wife. :-)
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GPS help?????
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Go to Amazon and get a Garmin that is waterproof, touch screen and supports their "bird's eye view.

Depending on your eyesight you may want one of the bigger screens
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
I can't be of any help to you but will be watching for reports of those who can.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
Garmin Oregon 550t is what I have. I have owned several GPSs over the years, and this one is the best so far. It will do everything but make your lunch, and has been dead accurate. I got a GizzmoVest to carry it, and it protects the gps completely while allowing access to the touch screen.  I don't know what else you would need in the way of a gps.  Not quite Victoria's Secret, but pretty sexy nonetheless.

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Got a new 62st had this one about a year. Had a 62 before this one that had lasted me about 5 yrs. tragically te it's end as I left in a cooler of ice for a couple days before I found it!!

The 62 series is like a generation behind what centaur posted there. I have not used that one yet. I think I may like that over the 62 though the 62 does everything I ask and more.

You can get the 24k topos - even in flat land there are draws and bottoms. You can get a mini SD card and get the biggest you can - store a lot of map that way.

I can't sit here and tell you the program you use on the computer but it goes with the Birdseye. I have some Birdseye maps on my GPS but ?? Really don't matter to me. I mark my truck at the beginning of the day throw the GPS in my pack and go. If I need mark anything else I'll pull it out and mark stand sites or scrapes and rubs.

I like paper and compass too but the GPS is awesome. Just be sure ya got both in your pack!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
Doubt you will but the reason I put mine away when trekking is I got into a habit of studying the GPS rather than have my head up paying attention where I was going or what was happening. Get into a habit of that GPS telling you where you are rather than paying attention and knowing where you are.

Just a thought -
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
The first thing you want to do is decide what manufacture you want to go with, and Garmin is by far the leader in the industry.

Then I would call Garmin, or who ever you choose, and talk to someone in their sales department.

Hope this help.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by gonefishing600:
The first thing you want to do is decide what manufacture you want to go with, and Garmin is by far the leader in the industry.

Then I would call Garmin, or who ever you choose, and talk to someone in their sales department.

Hope this help.
Yes it does, and that is a great bit of advice to take into consideration along with input from actual field users.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
X2 on the Oregon. 550t very user friendly and reasonably priced! If you'd like I will send mine up to you to play with for awhile I won't need it back til Elk season

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
Heck if your moose hunt doesn't fall between 8/26-9/8 you can borrow it for your hunt

Steve

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
I really appreciate the offer Steve, but once I decide on a model, I'm pretty sure I'll just go ahead and purchase one.  I believe I have settled on Garmin, now to weed thru the different models.

That offer right there is what is so fantastic about Tradgang.  Where else can you get a genuine offer like that on the Internet?  

Good luck on your Elk hunt Steve, we are ALL looking forward to the story AND pictures.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
One thing that really helped me. I noticed they had many options on how to set them up. I happened to call the geological survey and was talking to them about how to set up a gps. The guy I talked to was a supervisor and he sent me a map with markings on it and instructions. It made using a gps much easier. I ended up using the military method of using the gps. If you look close at a topo map you will see the 1000 meter ticks on the sides and across the top and bottom. I just get a big straight edge and make lines across my map. It is very easy now to mark a spot on the map and then find it in the forest. But you do have to choose the right settings on the gps to make this work. I would also look for the one that has the reputation of being able to see the satellites the best.

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 01:05:00 AM »
My vote is garmin oregon if you don't hunt with friends a lot. If you do you might consider a Rhino.

I started years back with an E-trex. Old school, no maps, no roads, just waypoints out in space. Mapping is soooooo much better.
Rick

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 05:03:00 AM »
I use a Garmin Etrex 10, the most basic one. It works really well and is simple to use. I still prefer maps and google earth to do any map recon with. You cant really see everything as well on those small screens in my opinion. I just use the GPS to find points and mark my Jeep in the event I do lose my sense of direction.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I would also add, that every hand held gps that Garmin makes will do what you need it to do. You just need to decide what are the most essential features you need. Such as, battery life, color map, some will even talk to you give you turn by turn direction, but you will pay extra for that.

Or you may let your wallet make the decision. You may even consider one that can be used in the back country, and can also be used in your automobile for Turn By Turn Routing On Roads. I know it sounds a little extravagant, but if you don't buy all you can afford, you may regret it later.

Good Luck
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
Garmin Etrex Legend for me right now.  I have had Map 76 and Map 60, 62 in the past.  The current model in the Etrex 30.  It is small and compact and will do about everything you want.  I would consider a model with the Birds Eye View capability.  It is very nice to see the screen is sat view.  My next model will have that capability.
T ZZZZ

Offline Chuck from Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
Be sure and take the compass too. And practice with the GPS ahaed of time to be sure you are confident with it.
CHuck

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
One thing I really liike about the 550t is that you can compare your gps position with your topo map and really get dialed in as to where you are then you can mark that on your topo and get a good look at the "whole" picture on the big map. Make sense?? That offer still stands too if you just want it for comparison reasons! Good luck on that hunt, it sounds like an awesome adventure!!!

Steve

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
Garmin 550t or better and buy the chip with more details 100$.  You'll want it with all the water.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
I have a very old Garmin - don't remember the model, but it is still a good instrument.

I must agree with "Sagebrush".  Switch your unit to "Meters" as the military does, instead of Long/ Latt.  It is much easier to plot on maps and actually see where your "way point" that you entered is on the map.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©