3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not a disaster, but not a walk in the park...  (Read 434 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Not a disaster, but not a walk in the park...
« on: January 17, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Well I went to the shoot. I did pretty good at the practice range. Then when the real deal happened, it wasn't pretty. I may have missed my first 6 targets completely! Then I hit a few, then i missed some more, then I hit a few and ended the course with a 10 ring, that's what I was told anyway. I lost a fletch but no arrows. I took the arrow with no fletchings and shot it twice, second shot missed and broke the arrow at the practice range. I think it kicked right...Big thanks to Paradocs, he shot the course with me and he brought me a bunch arrows he wasn't using anymore. They were much shorter than mine but they were loaded up front. Im not sure the weight but they have brass inserts and big field points. So when I got home shot them. They flew well at short range. I backed up and noticed they would kick left down range. One thing they were a lot more quiet than what I had been shooting. All in all, it was a lot of fun and I got to meet some good folks.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not a disaster, but not a walk in the park...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
No arrows lost if a good thing on a 3d range, especially with only a little time with your bow. Lots of good info on tuning arrows to get the best flight.  Lots to learn, but most important to have fun.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
Yeh once I get the correct arrow tune I will feel much better.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
Welcome to 3d
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
Your getting the hang of it.  Sometimes Fatigue will show up in shooting before you feel it.

You should have ended with the ten ring. Always end on a good note and before you get frustrated.

Sounds like you are starting to get the hang of it though.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
yeh, you are right. But I couldn't help myself. I had to see what the bare shaft would look like.

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
Thought you did fine. Left/right was generally good, but kinda hard to judge trajectory at unmarked distances in the woods. Pretty sure your arrows are weak for that bow, since it looked like it was cut to center or slightly past. And it wasn't like I lit the course up either   :saywhat:  At least you've got some components and a few more arrows to mess with...try some lighter points on those front-loaded monsters. Hope you had fun; I'll be much more help when you switch to woodies   ;)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Thanks for a great day of shooting. The arrows you gave me so quiet. What do those tips weigh on those arrows? How heavy are those inserts in them?

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
Anything with brass inserts were 100 gr. Don't remember the tip weights but had some 250 and 300 along with some standard sizes...they may be in the bag. Try those CE Predators with several different point weights....start light and work your way up and reassess....they flew good out of my longbow with the heavy heads, so ought to work in your bow, perhaps with lighter point weight.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
ok, I shot all the arrows you gave me, didn't change anything on them. They look to be at least 250 gr points. I will see what else is in the bag of goodies! thanks again.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
No arrows lost or broken is usually a good day at 3-D, still trying to work on the not missing targets thing.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Doc, you gave away your carbons???   :scared:  

I'm going to have to show up next month just to help get you back on track!!

Sounds like you guys had a great day! I ended up within 20 minutes of the shoot today with my work. I should have thrown my bow in!   :banghead:  

See you guys in Feb.

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
I told Landon we needed you there, Allen...I ain't no carbon-tuning guru.  But I gave him what I had lying around.  I got these new woodies flying great; it was my shooting that failed me.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
I plan on hitting Dixie next month Doc. Hopefully Jeff, Bill, and Danny will make it also. I can't wait to start killing some foam critters.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
If this was easy......everybody would do it, keep at it and have fun!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Ron, that's exactly why Im doing this. I want to feel that sense of accomplishment when my arrow goes where I want it to without a sight pin, mech release, drop away rest. I want it to be as pure as it can be and ALL on me. I am having so much fun, even if I miss my mark. I am in no way saying I have mastered a compound either, I just love shooting a bow and I can't think of a better way than going back to the past.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
My first 3d with my recurve wasn't pretty either.....I wasn't used to shooting such short distances at animal targets with no aiming dots to look at. I lost and bent a few of my aluminums, lol.

Shooting heavier arrows will definitely help make your bow more quiet. But you can get too heavy, that's why 10gpi is so common.

Curious where you guys are in VA? I'm in NC and not far below the state line, and would like to get in on some 3d.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
Dixie Bowmen is located in Prince George County. It's really not all that far from the NC line. Maybe an hour and 20 mins.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
Landon.
 Doc is a good man to hang with, he will have the patience to work through your form-bow issues. You're in good hands.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
Nerves will get you as much or more than anything at a competition.  I know guys who are pretty much untouchable on familiar ground that fall apart in competition, simply because of nerves.  I've done it myself, more than once.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©