3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last Dance  (Read 945 times)

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last Dance
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
:campfire:  

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
Here is the bedding area I knew the deer were in and the small dot is my stand site. The deer were leaving and entering the bedding area going up to the field to the West of the stand. At this point late in the season you have to be close to the bedding as they tend to get up right before last light and return at dawn.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
I had gotten situated at about 3 pm and at 4:30 the woods came alive with deer. It gets dark about 6 and those few hours never found me with my butt on my worn out seat. I had deer coming across the creek and filtering up all around my stand the entire evening. My final count was 11 and that was just due to me climbing down at 5:30 stopping the stampede as I walked to my prize.

I think what had happened is when I bumped them coming in they just stayed up in the thicket and then after an hour and a half began filtering back out by me on the trail.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
Well done ...again..!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
One of the first groups was two mature does and three yearlings. The little ones came passed me and my sites were set on one of the mature does in the back. Well as I stood with bow in front of my face and readying for the shot one of them caught a whiff of something they didn't like and got weird on me. Well the two veterans made a 40 yard spooky circle slowly around me and on up to the field with their young ones.

The next bunch was a few does and three bucks. The best of which was a 130" 8 pointer with a bright white polished rack. I had deer all around me and with no buck tag of course he eased up the trail right under me clueless. One of his buddies followed suit and the other with the does where off my trail about 40 yards out picking their way up to the field.

After they all made it passed me I was about to sit down and rest my feet when I heard leaves crunching behind me coming from the field. Well I turned around slowly and see a young one walking down the trail I had walked in on coming right at me. Knowing this was my last sit of the season and with a full freezer I had the thought that this one would be perfect in all respects.

As she made it just behind me with a quick look at the top of its head told me it wasn't a button buck and I went into shoot mode. After situating my feet quietly trying not to make that rubber on steel squeaking sound I was ready and she continued slowly on down the trail. Once she cleared all the green branches that I hung that guarded my from behind I drew the Zipper and loosed a old 2016 shaft I have had for I have no idea how many years.

I was shooting off to my back left and had twisted a little and kneeled down a touch to get the shot. She was standing quartered away at 8 steps from the tree when the arrow zipped through her. The new Z4 recurve limbs Bill was letting me test sent the shaft perfectly straight even at close range and with very awkward shooting form and grip. Just like at home shooting the targets I can see no sign of the arrow trying to straighten itself after going around the riser. Its unreal how straight these limbs fling an arrow.

The little gal did a huge mule kick and ran off back down toward the bedding area. She got about 50 yards out and she stopped for a second then wobbled and feel over.

I knew the shot was good and of course knew the outcome of the trail job but always good to see this about 5 yards from the shot spot.

www.zipperbows.com

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
You da man !!!
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »

Here is the outlet side.

And the inlet side.

Sorry for the crappy pics. My camera was in the truck and I had to hang out down in my spot as not to mess up brother. He tends to get upset when you "unintentionally" mess him up.

www.zipperbows.com

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
Great job Tom!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
Great work!!!  I always enjoy your hunt threads.  Congrats on closing the season well.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
I got her all reamed out and cooling and sat and waited until dark just reflecting and thanking God for this and the other fantastic days I have had in woods this year. On the walk back to the truck right before dark my phone buzzes in my pocket. It was brother...I was about at a spot where I figured he could see me and was ready for the fuzzing out but he just softly said "I just shot one".

We met up and he said he hit her perfect and we didn't hesitate going after her as earlier in the day I had bought some movie tickets online and promised mama a night of time together as our daughter was off and doing her thing. Yikes!

I texted her and let her know my predicament and all I got back was "Oh here we go" Haha. A hunters wife has to be patient right. We dated for three years so she knew what she was getting into.

We anyway as brother and I made it down to where he shot his we found cut hair and a few specs of blood. We had the so where did you hit her meeting real quick and he assured me the hit was good.

We kept going and about 25 yards out we found the first blood. It was good looking right away and we quickly walked down the trail hot on her trail. About another 50 yards I hear him behind me say "Oh Crap"!

I shine the light up to see what he sees about 10 yards ahead. There she was hunkered down trying to let us walk past still very much alive.  I stayed put and he walked back to the truck to get his bow. I could tell really quick she wasn't going anywhere and he got back and made a finishing shot. He cleaned her up and we got her on the cart and where rolling back to the trucks.

I don't have any pics of his because as soon as we got her in his truck I took off trying to save my marriage. Hehe.

On the mile and a half drive home I couldn't help but be thankful for having a brother to share all this with and if not it wouldn't be near as rewarding. I hope we have many more years doing this now that he has sold the wheelie bow and is all in with our TRAD game.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
Well done brother !!! First blood on the new Z4 limbs   :clapper:  

Bill

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
Congrats!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
Awesome job tom way to close the deer season you have had a GREAT YR!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
Congrats Tom, good story as always !! Nice looking hat, the Two Tracks Coup has mojo    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
Great stuff brother! Story is well written and the reflection is well done also. Congrats on a great season!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
Fantastic story, Tom. Congrats on a fine year, full freezer and memories made with your brother. It really doesn't get any better    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
Congrats on a great season brother    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
Wow...way to close the season Tom! Big congrats to you and ur brother!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
Tom,

Congrats to both you and your brother! As all ways your post was very well done and made it seem like we were there with you.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©