3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Primal Dreams Project  (Read 729 times)

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Primal Dreams Project
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions. I talked to Roy Grimes from NASP back in 2005 and he said they can’t make an official stand on promotion of hunting with the program. I think, however, that the kids who are in the program could be exposed to a pro-hunting message at private meetings and social events. I know many are very curious.  

TJ     Yes we are still working on the sequel to Primal Dreams, but knowing it won’t be ready for quite some time. We did not want to let this opportunity to reach more non-hunters slip by us. We are all very busy with work and family as well it is hunting season, but my brothers and the Wensels are committed to spending the time and arrange a more tailored video. Lets face it, we hunt because we enjoy it and we get a “lift” by doing so. The focus is not reasoned explanations or defense for hunting, but depiction of hunters approaching the sport as a way of life and pursuing animals with respect, reverence and awe. Apologetic explanations are not going to win the argument. We feel we did a great job with this in the full length Primal Dreams, however the new condensed version, which will not come out for a few months yet, will compress the best of the best into a message based production that may prove more rewarding to non hunters who are not expected to have the luxury of time.
Mike

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
I would think that if you pitched the video to most local PBS stations, not THE PBS, the other one (Public Broadcasting Station) they would love to have it.  I guess it's possible to run into an anti-hunting station manager or director of programming or whatever their respective title may be, but these folks are always in need of quality programming.  If they did accept your contribution, I know they would run it again and again, thereby increasing the exposure we need.  Unfortunately I wouldn't know how to go about getting your foot in the door.  Anyone else?

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Look into getting support from orignazations like QDMA, and the NWTF. They both have Youth programs.
"I make dirt look good"

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
Gene, let me know when they are released. I turned down the Archery in Schools Coaching position at Cardinal (Eldon) due to too much going on but I have a Son in it and I assist when possible. I am sure they would want to see. Also I do teach Youth Archery at the local Izaak Walton League of America and sure could show them there. Thanks for everything you guys do.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
Gene,

Don't froget 4H shooting sports programs. I am an archery instructor and we also have hunting as one of our projects too.

Not sure on the details to get it to 4H wide. But I'll check with our director.
Jason Lester

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
A Sequal? P.D.Part 2 ???  When and Where can I get my Mitts on it??  :readit:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline 1gutpile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
might want to send some to anti hunting organizations also...just watching that video might change the way a lot of there people view hunting...it is one helluva piece of work Gene..best I have ever seen on why we hunt...gut
to take from nature the materials needed to take from nature the meat needed....

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
Shakes.602
We don’t anticipate finishing the sequel of Primal Dreams (yet to be named) until at least a year and half. We all strive for quality and interesting footage, but can’t predict when it will be captured. Since the Wensels are in Iowa and me and my brothers are in Illinois it is tough to get together some times. We did have a great editing session last week, but the main focus was getting the condensed family/ classroom edition of PD together first. BUT we could not resist going through a dozen or so tapes of recent footage. There is some awesome stuff!!   So I guess the best thing to do is stay tuned to the brothersofthebow.com web site for updates. We are currently reworking the site with new info, tributes, and artwork as well.
Mike

Offline WTT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
Gene,
You may want to try contacting the National Trapper's Assoc. They put out an educational video a few years ago explaining the benefits of trapping to the uneducated and youth. If I remember correctly they tried getting them into the schools also. I don't know what came of it, but it may be worth giving them a call for some guidance and/or advise. Hope this helps.
Todd
Todd

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Gene,
The BSA idea is a great one.  I would suggest gaining the approval of the district councils and then have the material pushed out to the individual groups versus a bottom up approach. Having read some of Brunner's stories about you I may need to clarify that " Bottom up " comment.

Although gun hunting is seldom mentioned here, the NRA and the NSSF may be valuable allies in your efforts.

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Herdbull:
 ...Lets face it, we hunt because we enjoy it and we get a “lift” by doing so. The focus is not reasoned explanations or defense for hunting, but depiction of hunters approaching the sport as a way of life and pursuing animals with respect, reverence and awe. Apologetic explanations are not going to win the argument...
Very well said! I will keep tuned to the website. I look forward to the changes.  I'm sure anything you put out next will be top quality and well worth the wait.

Thanks Mike for the update
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
I teach elementary physical education.  I am an instructor for the National Archery in Schools Program.  It would be great to show this video to my archery students.  

Funding in schools is always a problem.  I have about 300.00 a year to spend on supplies and I spend it in May for the for the following year.  When stuff like this come up their isn't money for it unless I purchase it myself. (which isn't the end of the world)

I would suggest contacting hunting organizations like the NWTF to see if they would purchase the videos and donate them to schools.  The schools could even check them out for a week.  

Hope this helps.  Chad

Offline Elkhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
Gene, one way would be to contact each hunter safety coordinator for each states wildlife agency. I know the coordinator for Louisiana handles both the bowhunter education and the archery in schools program.

There should also be a state coordinator with the scouts. I will check that one out and may give some additional information tomorrow.

Our state traditional organization - Louisiana Traditional Bowmen - holds our shoots on scout property and assist with the archery program at that camp. We may be able to get some out . . .

Michael

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
Good going guys....all around.

Let me know if Trad Gang can assist.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
Ray......."Stormy?"
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
That's the one, Joey. Stormy. I bet Dale Karch could tell Gene who published..and they could keep us from reinventing the wheel on how to get them in every school library as successfully as they did.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »
Not to side-track this thread but I wanted you guys to know how excited I am about the footage we're getting for the Primal Dreams sequal. Gene and I went over to the Mitten's last weekend to review some of our accumulated footage and work on the condensed version of PD. It blew me away. We've already recorded on tape an albino; a melanistic (black) whitetail; and a huge non-typical breeding a doe. Then, the evening before last I had a really neat buck come by. I also got him on video for everyone to enjoy. In fact, he fills the whole TV screen for a full five minutes. His right antler is a big five points with the base as big around as a can of corn. But the neat part is he has TWO left antlers. Both pretty much grow straight up. The inside one is fairly normal but the outside one sprouts from a separate pedicle that comes out from the side of his head between his left eye and the other left antler. It goes straight up about fifteen inches, palmates and forks at the top. What a neat buck, reeking of character. He's also an older, mature stud that I bet will go 250 lbs. I'm torn about filling my Iowa tag this early in the season and not being able to pursue the big one I hunted for all last season. Tomorrow is our birthday. If he comes by again I might lose control and treat myself to a really cool present. The way I look at it, whatever happens was/is meant to be. I wanted everyone to know what cool, rare footage we've been getting. Sharing this stuff with everyone is half the fun. bw

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
Can`t wait for the sequal. I have watched the original countless times, and enjoy it each and every time. I especially love the close range footage of the whitetails.

Gonna go watch it right now cause its too foggy to hunt. Can`t even see my feet.

Getting a condensed version of this to schools is an absolutely fantastic idea. Way to go guys.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Someone used the word "allies". I think that's exactly what we should be building; an Alliance.
SCI,NRA,NWTF,PBS,TG..etc.  
When we individually bang on a door, we are a nuisance. If, WE ALL bang on a door,"they" would surely need to listen.
Just my 2 cents on using the in roads of other youth programs.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©