3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cost of Typical Canadian Black Bear Hunt??  (Read 449 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Cost of Typical Canadian Black Bear Hunt??
« on: January 17, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Hey all,

I've never been on a big hunt or anything like that. I have been thinking that it would be something I'd like to try.
Pretty much what comes to mind is an elk hunt in Colorado (cheaper) and a Canadian bear hunt.   I'd like to go somewhere and experience true wilderness for a week or so. That sounds about as remote as I can afford right now....maybe.
I don't know when the seasons are in Canada or much more about it. I'm probably not in good enough shape to do an elk hunt right now anyway.
So, I'd like to get an idea on what a bear hunt like that would cost and whether there are options to spot and stalk on the same hunt.
Anything else you can toss in, feel free. I don't know hardly anything and am trying to talk a couple friends into jumping in.
Nalajr

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cost of Typical Canadian Black Bear Hunt??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
There is a wide range on this one, as is the case for most guided hunts.  You can probably find some starting at $1,500 or so, and they can be decent trips for that price. Like most anything in life, you generally get what you pay for, and the more you pay the better the quality in terms of size and quantities of bears,  accommodations,  meals,  etc.
Get into the $2,500- $3,500 range and you could find a really good hunt.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
I agree with Whip, you get what you pay for. I have been on a $2800 hunt and shot a bear, but only saw three the entire week. Went on a $3600 hunt last year, didn't shoot but had six
Within easy shooting range and saw 16 during the week. I have a $4000 hunt booked this spring, trophy hunt they say, we will see. I have also know guys that went on a $1500 hunt and didn't see a bear in a week.
  Do some research, there are several good hunts out there.
If I ever get the money I would love to go on a bush hunt
In northern Saskatchawan with Rob Nye, long time Trad
Bowhunter, really big bears.
RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
Ill bring The Bear Quest thread to the top, contact Tom.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
2700$ great food great lodging tons of bears.
Kevin Day

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
I just got home from the Internation Sportsman expo and it seems  the cost is from $2800 to 3600.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
Prices are relative.  What might be cheap for one guy is a once in a lifetime hunt for another.  It all comes down to priorities and what you are really after.  

When I was younger, I had a choice.  Hunting is a heck of a lot cheaper than sitting in a bar, and in my opinion, a whole lot more fun.  How many people can Truthfully claim they smacked a bear on the butt as it climbed the tree next to them?

My choice has not let me down in the entertainment category.      :bigsmyl:
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
I am going on my second hunt.....prices have gone up the past decade but so has everything.  My last hunt saw 20+ bears...different bears.  From all indications from past hunters the new camp also in Saskatchewan I am going to in June also has high density of NICE bears.

I think there is a slot or two open if interested...drop me a PM.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »
I've been up to Ontario 6 times to Bear Paw Landing and I'm batting .500..... 3/6 and had a wonderful time on each.... it's  not about the killing. Fishing has always been good.  $2000-$2500 has gotten me up and back.

Canada is a REAL good time! Headed back in 2016 to take my son when he hits  legal age to hunt.

Good luck and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
I've been on a couple in Ontario where the hunt is $1400-1600, but we had a cabin to rent and did all our own cooking. But we enjoy doing it that way and save some money. With food, travel, licenses, etc it came to about $2000 per person. I don't think you can get much cheaper. Last time there 9 of 10 of us killed bears and the one guy that didn't had 2 opportunities he miffed.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
Thanks all for the info.

One of the bad things I have to deal with is my Hunting "Buddy" that I have hunted and fished with for 20 years, always has an excuse for not wanting to do things.  I no longer live close to him, but I suggest hunts, fishing trips, and such, and he's always got a problem with them.  Can't go, kids stuff, too busy, etc....  Hes got plenty of money, that's not the reason.  The reason is that his wife has his NARDS in her pocket-book and won't give them back.  Heck, she's had them for 10+ years now anyway.  I was just hoping that he would finally DEMAND them back and gave him a year to plan for it.  Heck, I WANT him to bring his 22 year old son and 17 year old with him.  I watched those boys grow up.

Nothing doing though.  He just ain't got it in him anymore....or he doesn't like me too much anymore.

The end result is the same....I've either got to hunt alone or find new hunting friends.  Some that wouldn't mind a new guy coming along and helping out with the chores, cooking and good for some laughs.

So, I am just going to nose around for Bear hunts with nothing set in stone and save money and get ready.  I guess the fall is the best time to get a BIG bear cause they are fattening up for winter.  So...I just need to be able to go when a chance comes up...either alone or as part of another trip.  I don't know how these outfitters prefer to deal with singles instead of groups or pairs.....

I'll find out soon enough though...I expect.

Thank you all for helping and giving me an idea.

Nalajr

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
do any of you guys go on spot and stalk bear hunts or is it only in a stand over bait for those prices?
"Us vs Them"

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 05:16:00 PM »
Canada is a big place. Black bear hunts run from $10,000.00 on Vancouver Island to $1,000.00 in Ontario. Typically Ontario and Quebec will be cheapest hunts. Biggest bears on average are on Vancouver Island. Newfoundland has a lot of good bears. Can't go wrong with Alberta, Manitoba or Saskatchewan either. New Brunswick has some good bear hunting but only a few outfitters hunting Bears.

Consider wherever is closest for you if your driving. If considering Ontario, check out Kapriver Outfitters.
hunt it

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
I hunted Saskatchewan a few years ago for 6 days of bear and 3 days of goose hunting for $1800.  Killed plenty of geese and a nice bear.  Lots of good deals out there you just have to look for them.
T ZZZZ

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
I've  only hunted bears over bait.

Good luck,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Talk with Jerry Russell, Russell outdoor guides, He's a sponsor on here,
I've hunted a lot of places including Canada, great guy great guide and great friend.
Will be hunting with him again in June, his camp is mostly trad guys.
As far as hunting with a partner, I gave that up 25 years ago, most hunting buddies are all talk and no go. I have mad some great friends in hunting camps that I booked solo. DONT let it stop you your missing some great memories.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 04:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by bucksakemmer:

As far as hunting with a partner, I gave that up 25 years ago, most hunting buddies are all talk and no go. I have mad some great friends in hunting camps that I booked solo. DONT let it stop you your missing some great memories.
agree with what he says here,,, most of my hunts everyone who was going backed out and now I prefer to book them alone.... too much of a hassle in the end unless you have a good partner.
"Us vs Them"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Yes to the above.  Sadly one of my very best friends and I talked for two years about elk hunting and each year he backed out.  I  think it had more to do with what the wife didn't want him to do.

Really sad because now he is physically and mentally unable to do it.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
If you wait and rely on your hunting buds to go on an out of state adventure you most likely will sit at home and never go anywhere.  Decide what you want to do, book the hunt, and then let your buds decide if they want to join.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
Wow I thought I was the only guy who had to book alone.  Went hunting with Rob Nye in northern Saskatchewan two years in a row and had a blast thinking of going back this year.  He's getting 5100 and hunts the month of june.  I went the last week in june both times.  Good times cool country.  don't wait

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©