3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two Blade Benefits  (Read 1045 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Two Blade Benefits
« on: January 18, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
I am not wanting to start an argument here but am just passing on my findings and thoughts of those findings. Please think before you post.

Well for the past couple seasons I have decided that a two blade is the head for me. Out of my 50 lb bows I have witnessed their benefits over a three bladed head and I have shot plenty of them with three blades. The deer I killed yesterday is a perfect example of why.

The shot was perfect as the deer was quartering away and a steep 8 yard shot angle with me about 15' above. It entered high of center at the ninth rib.

Excited the rib cage low at the fourth rib.

Then the head passed right through the deers left elbow breaking the leg. It was flopping as it ran off.

After passing through all that and the leg bone my arrow was laying on the ground on the opposite side of the deer.

I have shot enough deer with a three blade to know if I were shooting one here I would have most likely been watching my fletchings bounding down through the woods with the arrow plugging both holes.

Now there is no doubt the three blade would have killed the deer. But If I I were to have been a touch lower and only hit one lung for some reason I may not have recovered this deer at all or at the least not had near as good of a blood trail.

For anyone shooting at 50 lbs or less like I am with my 27" draw and trying to decide of which way to go let this simply be food for thought.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two Blade Benefits
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I have been looking at two blade broadheads to hunt with this fall. Debating between the single bevel like you are using and a double bevel like the Ace Standard.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
Dave, there are many point of views on single or double but mine is that I can get singles much sharper and here is why. To sharpen an edge you must work on one side of a blade at the time to work up the micro thin rolled over edge of metal you can feel with your fingernail.

With a three blade you can't work on one side of the blade at once. When its laying flat on the stone you are creating that raised edge of metal on one of the blades but the other blade that edge is being removed at the same time and since it takes many more strokes to raise the edge than to remove it and hone it you are simply fighting against getting them as sharp as they could be all the time. If that makes sense.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
TJ what head do you have there. Also what is the specs of your arrow.
Good info.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
You certainly make a valid "point'' for a two blade broadhead.  I don't think anyone can find fault with them, especially with lower weight bows.  I've had a lot of success with a two blade Bear or a two blade Magnus with  similar weight  bows like yours.

Bernie

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
A two blade head has been doing the job very well for a long, long time.   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
Terry,

2016 aluminum Arrow/insert weight is 407 grains, and 230 grain single bevel Grizzly broad head (head 185, adapter 45). 637 total grains.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
Those Grizzly broadheads sure do a nice job !!! Very good information as usual Tom   :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
Good info, I have had the same results this year. All pass through.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
I shoot 50# with a 29.5" DL, and I love my 2-blades!

Bisch

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
I thick that 637 grains helped.
T ZZZZ

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
I have mainly shot 2 blades or at times 2 blade with a bleeder (zwickey deltas)for 40 years, im one if I find something that works I wont wander far, still shootin zwickeys and ole 2020 xx75's  . I have shot several animals where the arrow went between ribs in and out with little impact trauma, and usually a shorter run..  a couple even went back feeding after being shot but bled out very quickly.I do like the thoughts of a big hole that a big 3 blade makes, but I haven't have a single failure or lost animal that I can blame on the 2 blade heads ive been shooting for years.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »
For bows of around the weight I have to agree that two blades mostly perform better.  Just switched to Grizzly Instinct heads and have a hog hunt wnd of February, will let you know how they do if I draw blood.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
I completely agree. I'm getting rid of all my 3 and 4 blade heads. I can't really see any advantages to having more than 2 blades.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
That's cool, shoot what you are confidant with. I am convinced I get better blood trails with 3 blades.
If it's in your way, move it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
All the deer I've ever killed have been with two edged heads - Magnus II, Rib-Teks (narrow & wide versions), Stos.  All excellent heads.  One of my Stos heads has killed three deer and is still on the "lead arrow" for that bow.  Broke the shaft each time but the head just needed resharpening.  

This last season I tried a three edge (Modoc Dot) but no shots were presented.  I've always gone for penetration and wood shafts of around 600 to 620 grains.  Eager to see what a three blade will do.

Just need an obliging deer.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
I've killed deer with both, including; snuffers, woodsmans, zwickeys, magnus, ace.

The two blades are what I am currently shooting with great success. Two deer this year with the same arrow and BH.

Keep 'em sharp!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
Hey Tom,

I'm fortunate to live in a very "deer rich" area, that provides many opportunities each year for broad head testing.  Here's what I've found.  

2, 3 and 4 blade heads all "can" provide great blood trails, however I've also experienced poor trails with each one of these.  If we put any of these heads through both lungs we will almost always see the deer go down.  

Where some of the larger 2 blade heads and multi blade heads shine is with the less than perfect hits, especially hits too far back.  If we do hit too far back the big heads will put more sign on the ground.   On the other hand bigger heads with more blades do tend to penetrate less as a result of their design.

Like Tom I only shoot 50 lbs.  I've found the skinny Axis arrows help in penetration, so that's a free lunch for me.  I prefer the one piece heads over heads that need an insert.....inserts do break and must be aligned.  2 blade heads by design get sharper and hold an edge better, especially the stainless blades (  :scared:   - my opinion).   Getting very sharp and staying sharp is very important!  I hunt a lot and in and out of the quiver dulls a head quickly.

Here's my top heads.

Magnus Stingers for sharpness and staying sharp
VPA 3 blade for toughness
Simmons heads for insane blood trails

I stopped trying to decide which design is better a few years ago.  Shoot which one flys the best and you can get the sharpest.

:thumbsup:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
Good post Tim, I would like to try some thinner shafts some time. I still have witnessed many three blade shots through the ribs that haven't passed through with my bows. The deer have tensed or twisted in trying to run from the shot and I think that pinches the shaft stopping it quicker. That doesn't happen near as much with a two blade head for me.

I do agree if shot through the guts it may be better with a three blade but I shot my buck this year there and he went 80 yards and laid down. We found him there the next morning.

I still think the pluses of the two blade out weigh any other option with our lower poundage bows.

I do agree that you should use the head you can get the sharpest. Another much often overlooked piece of the puzzle is shooting a bow that you can get tuned the best. Arrow flight is a major key in penetration. If an arrow is still in paradox and hasn't stabilized when it hits a deer it will greatly decrease penetration.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
You know Tom, many folks don't spend enough time shooting their broad heads prior to hunting.  Not all broad heads fly well and many do not shoot the same as their field tips.  

I'm a tuning nut and I will spend hours doing everything I can to get perfect arrow flight.  Once I get it I will shoot my broad heads.  Some will fly the same, others will not.  You're dealing with a longer tip and wind/blade issues.  I can't emphasize enough the importance of making sure your broad heads fly where you are looking.

I spend the last two weeks of August narrowing down what broad head shoots best out of my current setup. I shoot them at 30 yards over and over for days. After several dozen shots you will find some heads are more forgiving, some dive, some rise and some do circles.

I really believe the decision to choose a 2 blade or a multi blade should be based on consistent and "perfect" arrow flight. Once you achieve this with a few different style heads, than you can pick which one will best meet your needs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©