3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Book Help  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
Wensel Book Help
« on: January 19, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
With the winter finally asserting its grip around here, I am looking at purchasing one of the Wensel books.  I originally was going to go with Hunting Rutting Whitetails but seeing as though it is out of print, I was wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations on any of their other books to select.  I have a 7 month old daughter who will be hearing parts of it before she hits the hay!  Thanks for any direction you can steer me in.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Book Help
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
Any of there books are a very good read,
 http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/books.html
shoot straight shoot often

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
Once upon a tine by Barry is more of a collection of tales and stories . Come November by Gene is a good read as well.  Happy reading !
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
PM sent.

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
Thanks for the links I have been pmd

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
Gene's book, Buckskin and Bone, is kind of an updated version of his older books. Barry's book, while full of good info, is more of a hunting story kind of book.

They are both great.  Order 'em together now, and save on the shipping.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Get them all. They are all excellent. I really like the older ones "Hunting Rutting Whitetails", "One Mans Whitetail", "Treestand Strategies" etc. because it's fun to dream about hunting in MT back in those days. But they are all excellent by both Gene and Barry.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
By the way, the older ones are out of print but you can still find them on Internet sites occasionally.....and no I won't sell mine! HA!  Good luck!

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
I have read Come November a few times. It's a very good book. It taught me a lot about thermals.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. Three of the above can be ordered from our website. For used copies, try abebooks.com  Buckskin and Bone is my biggest seller but a very close second is Come November, even though it was written 15 years ago.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
I have all of Gene's and Barry's books and Mike Mittens book.  I also have all of Roger Rothaar's (SP) books.  All of them are great winter time reading and if you pay attention you will pick up something new every time you read them.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 12:25:00 AM »
I imagine Gene has heard it a thousand times, but his first couple of books inspired me  and changed how I went about hunting deer.  I still bring them out every once in awhile even after what twenty- thirty years and read them again.

He is also the only notable bow hunter I have ever had the opportunity to see in person.  Interesting guy.

Thanks Gene !
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 04:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gene Wensel:
Thanks for the kind words. Three of the above can be ordered from our website. For used copies, try abebooks.com  Buckskin and Bone is my biggest seller but a very close second is Come November, even though it was written 15 years ago.
Thanks for the heads up on Abe books Gene. I found a autographed copy of One mans whitetail and a copy of Hunting rutting whitetails. Bought the both last night!

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
I would get any of them I could - all are worth the price of admission.  Then I would go to one of Barry's bootcamps.  I learned a ton last year and this year I had more encounters with mature bucks then ever before ... using just one of the ideas I picked up at his bootcamp.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
I read Come November every year and learn or am reminded of some little detail I forgot or had slipped by me during previous reads.  Between sits on the treestand while warming up in the truck, I often read parts of Gene's, Barry's, or Roger's books.  

I also highly recommend Barry's bootcamp.

Another author I highly recommend is Don Thomas, any of his books are worth reading.  I know a young lady that was raised with her dad reading a chapter or story from one of Don's books every night.  She once told me that spending those few minutes every evening with her dad was most often the highlight of her day.

Another good one is Tension on the String by Mark Baker.  It is a collection of his bowhunting stories, most of which take place in Montana, but a few are in other states.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 06:04:00 AM »
Walt - thanks for the recommendations.  I will definately look into all above mentioned

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »
So what would you recommend for a first read. Come November or Buckskin and Bone.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mr. fingers:
So what would you recommend for a first read. Come November or Buckskin and Bone.
And what about treestand strategies?

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
I prefer "And the horse you rode in on". Its their comedy and the one I understand the best
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
My take on Treestand Strategies is it's the Cliff's Notes version of One Man's Whitetail,everybody should have a copy, and reread it every once in while to get back and reinforce the basics.   It has a lot of useful information and explains the basics very well. If you read this book and practice the techniques you would be ahead of 80% of the hunters out there. You used to be able to buy a copy on the auction site for 99 cents plus shipping,I bought them five or six at a time and gave them away to friends and people just starting to hunt with a bow.  

This is how I rate them on my whitetail education scale:

I put Tree stand Strategies on the sophomore/junior year in high school level.

Bowhuning Rutting Whitetails and One Man's Whitetail are on the college 101 and 102 level.  These two will explain the nuts and bolts of how to selectively pattern and hunt big whitetail bucks.

Come November is Gene's Master thesis.  In it he explains some of the finer points of big buck behavior and how to analyze and solve the questions they always create.  It is more about teaching you how to evaluate whitetails and to think for yourself then anything.

Buckskin to Bones is Gene's doctorial dissertation.  It has a lot of philosophy on hunting and why we hunt, while answering some of the question left over from the previous books. Everybody should read this book, it doesn't matter if you hunt or not.  

Anyway, that is how I relate to Gene's books to education.  

Barry's book, Once Upon a Tine, is an entertaining read that combines the adventure of the hunt with lots of little bits of information that often make the difference in the hunt.  Oh ya, like always with anything Barry is involved with, you will find yourself laughing throughout the book. For me, this is the most enjoyable of all the books.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©