3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional antelope hunters?  (Read 812 times)

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional antelope hunters?
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »
How many guys here have hunted pronghorn with trad gear?  I'm looking to roadtrip this fall to Wyoming to chase some goats, I've never done it and am wondering what I'm in for.  Any info or pics would help!!
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional antelope hunters?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
I shot one at 13 yards with a Black Widow SA III in Wyoming.(blind under a windmill. They drank out of the overflow).

Offline Paul Collins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
I have done a lot of hunting out of blinds and some spot and stalk hunting.  Where I hunt, there is a lot of brush around the waterholes and the antelope are scared to come close.  I don't think the blind scares them much but that the tall grass does.  Using a decoy to give them confidence that it is safe to come to water seemed to make a big difference.  Also, when antelope come to water and then run away, don't worry that they smelled you and spooked.  Usually, they are testing to see if the waterhole is safe, and they will come back after they run off.  It is probably different if there is no a bunch of brush around the water.  Another point -- practice a lot out of the blind.  It looks a lot different and without practicing it, it is hard for instinctive shooting. pc

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
Antelope are fun and if you time it right they can be quite easy. I've stalked them, hunted over waterholes and with decoys. The last three times with decoys during the rut.(aprox. Sept 15-31). I try to get there so I hunt from Sept 17-18 to the 24-25. Set up 100 yards or so away from water and put up a decoy and a blind and enjoy the show.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
My partner and I contacted a Wyoming rancher and got permission to bow hunt in mid-late September.  

He prepared a blind of stacked hay bales near a fence crossing (they commonly use the same location to go under the fence).  

We saw lots and I got a 13" with my longbow.
Lon Scott

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Yes like others have said here, lots of ways to hunt them with the stick bow.  I have shot a few out of blinds at water holes.
habujohn

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
That's one hunt on my bucket list

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
I have shot a few. They are a lot of fun. Very good eyes. Terrain decides if you can spot and stalk. Wind is not as important as it is on some other game. Water is a lot of fun to hunt. It gives you a way to watch wildlife you don't often experience.

I am not sure what areas of the state you are looking at or if you have private land to hunt but do some research.

Also measure out some cardboard to their nominal height and practice. They can look a lot bigger than they really are and its not hard to shoot farther than you think.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
I have shot a few. They are a lot of fun. Very good eyes. Terrain decides if you can spot and stalk. Wind is not as important as it is on some other game. Water is a lot of fun to hunt. It gives you a way to watch wildlife you don't often experience.

I am not sure what areas of the state you are looking at or if you have private land to hunt but do some research.

Also measure out some cardboard to their nominal height and practice. They can look a lot bigger than they really are and its not hard to shoot farther than you think.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
Hope for dry weather and hunt the water holes. I used a regular strap on bow stand and attached it to a windmill bout
12 ft. Up. They never looked up, shot my Goat at about 7 yds.
  My brother used a 12 ft. Tri-Pod stand at the edge of a wide
Open water hole, he fashioned a couple of lightweight EMT
Poles to hold some camo cloth behind him. He was open in front but protected from the back, hid his movement. Worked
Well hot him, he shot his goat at about 15yds.
 Very fun hunt, something I'd like to do again.
RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
Posted this picture before but traditonal antelope very doable

Set up is importanat being able to cover the whole water hole, because whatever you cant reach the lopes will water there.

You can see two blinds in this picture, the water at this seep was bleeding down the back side of this grease wood. So I put a blind on it and that seemed to make most of the lopes water in front of me. The seep behind me was very small and that made them nervous with the blind in place. The spring in front of me is about 15 yds across and 20 or so wide. They would wade in and start slurping. Worked great. To the left of the blind in this picture is a large pond that we rope off and funnel the goats to our set up. They dont really like the pond anyway because the wild horses us it quite a bit.
Too much water can be a real problem here we are able to overcome it but last season it rained and the antelope could water anywhere they wanted. Blind hunting water holes very slow and mostly useless then.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Went 5 yrs in a row to Wyoming. All early season hunts over waterholes. Can't wait to go back!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
YOU THE MAN JACK - notice his homemade broadheads as well, plus his self bow!

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
Blind at waterhole is perfect for Trad equipment. I got mine that way!!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Online GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
That would be a hell of a road trip.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
Going DYI or using an outfitter?
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
Ooops! Meant DIY.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Antelope are a blast. Great way to start off the fall.  I've got 5 or 6 points saved up for Wyoming. Going to have to cash those in pretty soon.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »

Hunted antelope twice in Wyoming. Had a good time both times. Arrowed this buck the first trip over a water hole......second hunt wet,cold with snow. Got a chance and missed.........would go again in a heart beat!
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »
I went to Wyoming last season (2014), had a blast chasing them! Went with my dad, we both a multiple opportunities.
I ended up shooting one on a stalk.
We also had success at getting them close with decoys.
Definitely doable with trad gear.

chris <><

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©