3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tiller Question? Bowyers  (Read 362 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tiller Question? Bowyers
« on: January 19, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
When you apply more pressure to the bottom of the grip on a recurve, how does it effect tiller of the limbs?  I remember a picture in Asbell's book and extreme "heeling" of a recurve and the limbs looked way "out of whack".  

If you are a shooter that "heels" the bow with a low wrist, would you need a stronger or weaker bottom limb?

If you shoot with a straight high wrist would you need a stronger or weaker bottom limb?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tiller Question? Bowyers
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
heeling you would need a weaker bottom limb.High wrist stronger.
Some of the old bears with high wrist have 1/2 inch positive tiller. I really like to build with a dead even tiller. It seems to work for most people no matter shooting style.

God bless, Steve

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
I have one of those old Bears!  It has 1/2 less distance on the bottom limb.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
thank you Sixby.
Longbows & Short Shots

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »
I grip high wristed, and I have all my bows tillered even. It just seems to work best for me that way.

Hey Jeff, how is the lefty thing coming along?

Bisch

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
I'm with Steve, I like to tiller to even with all shooting styles.  It seems to work the best.  Of course ILF let's you adjust it anyway you want.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
IMO, it is a matter of personal preference, but I heel the straight grip or dish on a traditional longbow, use less heel on an R&D longbow, and none on the newer style recurve. The old 1955 Bear - 58 have a straighter grip, but I would use the pad of the thumb, and not heel them. The raised palm and slope on a recurve puts the pressure on the thumb and web in your hand. The back of my bow hand is almost at a 45 deg. angle to the plane of the bow. On a Longbow the lifeline is where the pressure is located and less on the thumb, the back of the hand is vertical, or in the same plane as the bow.  This is why it is difficult for many to be able to shoot both styles of bows. G. Fred Asbell talks about it in his latest book.

When Howard Hill heeled the bow, the pressure was along the lifeline, hence the heel of the palm.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Bisch,

Lefty is coming along.  I am shooting an old Bear TD Hunter, one of the cheap ones.  I reshaped the entire side plate area to get proper clearance.  The bow has a tiller that is 1/2" less distance on the bottom limb.  I built a shim for the bottom limb out of tough leather and the tiller is now 1/16" less distance on the bottom limb.  

The bow is just feeling better on the draw with the shim.  I am all in left handed!  No TP is a great feeling.  I did try to shoot last night after doing bench press, flys, and dead lifts.  I don't need to shoot after I lift!      :saywhat:
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©