3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Going to order a Northern Mist longbow.....  (Read 2101 times)

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Going to order a Northern Mist longbow.....
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Thank you Mr Norris but I had too many unanswered questions so tossed my order form. Talking with some other bowyers......
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
Anything you need answered I'm sure if you call Steve he could tell you everything you need to know about his bows. He is great to talk to!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
Roger / Ron:

X2 on the communication thing...Steve makes excellent bows backed with stellar service to include taking time during the ordering process.  

Honestly, I can't remember ever reading or hearing anything to the contrary.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
I've heard nothing but great things about them.    :thumbsup:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Nothing against Mr Turay but im just not getting answers to questions. I'm sure he is very busy getting ready for Kalamazoo as well as filling orders so I will let him tend to that.....  Looking at the work of three other bowyers (but no green glass) and all three are sponsors here so.....Thanks again and God Bless   :)
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
Steve is pretty easy to get in contact with. If you have questions, just email.

Edit - I just called Steve and asked about this, he said you guys had traded a few emails, he thought your questions were answered. He is checking to see if he missed an email or call.My suggestion would be to re-send any emails that you fell went unanswered.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Thanks  ;)
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
I have a Shelton that seems to match your description. I really like it a lot. It shoots very well and is quiet. I normally prefer brown or black bows but really got hooked by the green glass. I have shot the Classic but don't own one. I think you will be satisfied with either bow. Steve makes good stuff.
Sam

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
Thanks.... I'm looking at a Bigfoot, JD Berry or Schafer bow now but thanks for the reply  ;)
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
I have a Classic with the Green glass and it really shines as a Hill style longbow, great performance and excellent craftsmanship that does not show well in pictures but jumps at you in your hands.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by cmh:
Thanks.... I'm looking at a Bigfoot, JD Berry or Schafer bow now but thanks for the reply   ;)  
All good bowyers with great bows!
I don't think JD is taking orders right now. At least that's what it says on his website.

As for Steve and northern mist I can't say enough good things about his bows and him as a person. If you have any questions call him. He will put on his little head set and talk to you while he is working for as long as you need to and answer everything you want. I have talked to a lot of bowyers over the years and some of them want to get off the phone quick to get back to making bows. I completely understand them doing that and actually expected the same when I first called Steve. But when he answer the phone I told him I have a few questions and he said " one sec, I'm gonna put on my head set so I can work and talk and I'm yours as long as you need me". I was pretty shocked and very excited. I learned more in that conversation than all things combined from other bowyers I talked to.
 When I went up to his shop to pick up my bow and talk with him for the article I did his commitment to his customer calls was shown again. We would be talking and his phone would ring. He would say " if this is a family or friend I will be fast, if its a customer I need to help them".
 While I was there some of you guys on here called and I got to see first hand how much he cares and pays attention to every detail and makes sure you don't get off the phone until your questions are 100% answered.
  Rodger you called when I was there to get a couple bows and when your call ended we talked quite a bit about you. He thinks of you as a great friend.
 There are a lot of great bowyers in the world today. But Steve and his bows take the whole experience to a new level.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 06:45:00 AM »
Jason....I remember that call. Steve and I normally chat about once a week. We share a lot of common interests and beliefs well beyond bowhunting......for example you won't find either one of us without a 1911 on our belt (very often)  :)He is a great friend, one of those "how can I help?" guys.
Steve was very proud of that podcast, and your pictures were amazing.

Bottom line is that Steve builds one heckuva bow.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »
CMH I have owned the Shelton and the classic they are both great bows. I prefer the string follow Shelton slightly over the classic -- think the string follow is tad more forgiving and quieter.
Steve is a great guy and his bows are top notch. I have been to his shop a few times he is truly an excellent bowyer. Good luck.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to getting my Shelton. Steve explained every question I had inquired about in detail and he's no nonsense.  He had arrived at his shop at 2 am the day I was there with my family.  He says he's trying to get a good representation of his bows to sell over the counter at Kalamazoo built up, because that's what his customers want to see and he doesn't want to disappoint them. He showed us his forms and how the fire hoses and heat strips work and my daughters were very impressed with how it all works.  I took my camera with me, but Jason's pictures were already well done, so I didn't even take it out of the case.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 07:50:00 AM »
cmh you made a fine choice in Steve Turay and his Northern Mist Bow line. The only difference between the Classic and the Shelton is the fact that The Shelton has a bit of string follow.Folks feel Longbows with string follow are more accurate and forgiving. Which model is entirely up to you . Strung they look the same. I think Steve himself shoots his Shelton Model. I know I had a used Northern Mist Whisper I bought from someone here a while back. I went to a 3-d shoot with that bow with a quiver full of brand new Dougie Firs. I didn't loose or break one arrow and I shot 2 full courses. I shot that bow outstanding! Don't ask me why I sold it.     :knothead:  By the way I have owned 6 or 7 Mohawks from Vince over the years. As a matter of fact that bow in my avatar pic is a Mohawk. If you liked your Mohawk you will like you new Northern Mist.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
I have to add that I have no experience with your handle wood of choice. I do know my favorites in a longbow are cocobolo, ebony, purple heart, wenge, bocote,and bubinga. Something dense and heavy in a wood    :archer2:  
 makes for an accurate shooter.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by bentpole:
I have to add that I have no experience with your handle wood of choice. I do know my favorites in a longbow are cocobolo, ebony, purple heart, wenge, bocote,and bubinga. Something dense and heavy in a wood     :archer2:    
 makes for an accurate shooter.
My bow orders are boring....I pick the lamination, and tell the bowyer to decide the rest. My bows are all very plain, but great shooters.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
I guess I'll just wait awhile until he is not so busy.....  I can understand his need to have bows on hand for the show...... That's a big deal  ;)  Lignum vitae is a very dense and heavy wood as I understand. It has been used to make bearings for ships. When subjected to o2 it will change to a olive green with darker swirls in it which is why I wanted it with green glass..... And of course some green arrows  :)  Thanks again gentlemen  ;)
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
I'm glad to hear that you're giving Steve another chance.  He's a busy guy this time of year, getting ready for K-zoo.  Honestly, you can find him in his shop any of the 24 hours in a day.  He is truly a great guy and a fantastic bowyer.

homebru

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
I spoke to him again yesterday....I was driving across Indiana and he was eating his lunch. He is working 17 hours a day right now, trying to have a good representation of bows for Kalamazoo.

Also spoke with Ray Lyon last night, which might end up costing me some money. It seems he discovered Steve is bringing a 61# Shelton to Kzoo.....there goes my lunch money.....   :knothead:

G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©