3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single bevel and EFOC damage  (Read 2083 times)

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
Single bevel and EFOC damage
« on: January 20, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Just wanted to share some pics of a buck I shot this season. The buck came in kinda of late but I could still pick a spot. When I shot I really thought I had missed and was really upset with my self. It had sounded to me like I hit the rock that was behind the deer and I thought I caught a glimpse of my arrow going under the buck. So I sat there in disgust wonder what the heck is wrong with me. So after a few minutes I went looking for my arrow. Since I thought I had missed I followed the direction that I thought the arrow went not the direction that deer ran. Since I couldn't find my arrow I started looking in other directions and found my buck 40 yards from where I shot him.

I was really amazed at the performance of my set up. I know I get great penetration but I have never seen this before. My arrow/broadhead completely shattered the upper shoulder bone, split a rib going in and was lodged just under the skin on the opposite side. My arrow set up is a full length beman 340 with a 100 grain brass insert, 200 grain Grizzly s/b, 125 grain adapter. 425 grains total up front. Im shooting a Bob Lee 60 @28. I hope you enjoy the pics.

Gilbert   URL=http://s215.photobucket.com/user/amicuspaint/media/brokenshoulderentrance_zps54cf360f.jpg.html] [/URL]

opposite side

The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single bevel and EFOC damage
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
Wow, that's some impressive damage!

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
WOW is right that bone pix is something!!!!
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
Good shooting, never doubt yourself, glad you got him.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Congratulations! Just think if you had a  nocturnal nock on you would have worried. Just follow the glow.  Great shot and that arrow did alotcof damage.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
Very impressive! Do you still have access to that upper leg bone and its pieces. I'll trade you a new pack of 200 grain Kodiak's for it if you do.
It looks like the only damage to the head is where we back grind the tanto tip to sharpen it. You should be able to retatnto that head and put her back to use.   :thumbsup:  
Bill

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
Thanks guys, for the kind words.

Shed hunter, your right. I have a quiver full of arrows with  lighted nocks, now.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
That's awesome right there gotta love it
!GREATJOB PICS and congrats on the deer!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Bill, no I don't have the leg bone anymore. It was about 2 weeks ago when I shot him. I thought about calling you to see if wanted some pics but just never got around to it. I thought it was an impressive testimony to the effectiveness and durability of your Kodiak single bevel broadhead combined with EFOC.

I have been using the 200 grain grizzly and now  Kodiaks for years and love them. I'm always amazed at the damaged that it produces. I do not worry about hitting bone with my set up. I can send more pics to you if your interested. I'm down to my last Kodiak so I will be placing an order soon.

Gilbert

A sinner saved by Grace.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
I would expect that with 60# draw weight and a high FOC heavy arrow!

Congrats on your buck!

Bisch

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
I don't know that I've seen a leg bone shattered like that before! That is impressive!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 11:12:00 AM »
Holy Cow!

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
I shoot almost an identical setup, just not quite so much up front, only 350 grains. That said, I cut a half inch deep groove in a mule deer's shoulder blade and knocked out a two inch piece of rib on entry, and still got a complete pass through on the buck (see avatar). I did get a slight curl on the broadhead tip but that didn't seem to effect penetration. any. A nice bull Roosevelt elk fell to this same setup a week before the buck.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by newhouse114:
I shoot almost an identical setup, just not quite so much up front, only 350 grains. That said, I cut a half inch deep groove in a mule deer's shoulder blade and knocked out a two inch piece of rib on entry, and still got a complete pass through on the buck (see avatar). I did get a slight curl on the broadhead tip but that didn't seem to effect penetration. any. A nice bull Roosevelt elk fell to this same setup a week before the buck.
sounds like I need to come hunting with you!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
:eek:  WOW !!! Very impressive. Not surprised with the condition of the Grizzly either. Those things are built bomb proof.   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:  

Bill

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
what is the total weight of the arrow set-up.  Never shot carbons before, still a fir/lodgepole guy.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
VI, total arrow weight is around 725 grains. Not sure what my FOC% is.

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
Mine run about 750

Offline Sapcut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »
Way to go on a good shot.  

Lots better than being skeered of bones and get a gut shot.... when you've got the weapon to blow and go.
Black Widow PSAX 71@31
Faith is Life

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
Gilbert, you will lose 15 grains (which is nothing really) if you go to the 185 Grizzly. The metal is thicker on them and I would bet that little bit of roll over wouldn't have happened to it. I shot one into a concrete block and it came out fine.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©