3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Measuring brace height  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Knox

• Trad Bowhunter
Measuring brace height
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
I am tuning a new bow string and have found that there are several ways to measure brace height that are not equal. So first, which notch on a bow square are you supposed to use (there are 2 string slots)? Second why does the square give a different measurement than using a tape measure from the string?

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Measuring brace height
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
On all custom bows my measurement has been from the throat of the grip to the string which I think 99% of the bowyers measure from
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
When I measure BH, my square is not on the string. Put that end of the square in the throat of the grip and read your BH where the ruler part crosses the string. If your square is marked correctly you will get the same measurement as with a measuring tape.

Here is a pic:

Bisch

Offline caligator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
I measure mine the way Bisch describes.
The welfare of the state depends upon the morals of its citizens.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
Thats the way I measure brace height also.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
Knox.  Folks measure differently and get different results, but you can use either one.  Doesn't matter as long as you know which one you use and use it consistently.

On my square, the same model Bisch is using in his picture, pushing the back of the frame legs/arms, which extend 1/8-inch further than the center of the square, all the way to the string gives the same result as a ruler or tape measure. Most people do it this way.  

If you stop at the first notch, the measurement will be about 1/8-inch more than that. If you push the feet tight to the string, the measurement will be right on, i.e. the same as a straight edge ruler measuring from the throat of the grip to the string.

If you measure like Bisch and some others, placing the indented part of the square on the riser, it will give a measurement 1/8-inch more than a ruler or tape.

Doesn't really make any difference as long as you do it the same way each time.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
I use my hand, hence Fistmeal.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 11:54:00 PM »
Tape measure from deepest part of grip to the string is how I do mine. Like others say just be consistent
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
The way Bisch showed it is, by definition, the right way.  That being said, for you, and you only, any way you want to measure it is fine as long as you do it the same way every time.  If you do it other than the way Bisch showed, just understand that you can't compare your number to someone else's.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
Here's a little tip:  Once you have your optimal brace all figured out, mark each of your arrows so that you always have a quick reference every time you shoot.  I just put a simple sharpie line on mine but many others do this with far more artistry.

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
I understand what you are saying Knox. Where the string grooves on that tool to a set inch mark will be correct. Where Bisch holds that tool you would be reading longer than it actually is because of the indentation of the tool. I hope that makes sence to you.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Not really. There is an easy way and an awkward way to use the square. The bowsquare tool was designed to be used like Bisch used it and I have been using the same tool for decades. There is a tiny indentation across the end of the tool and from that indentation to the inch marks is dead on. I checked a brace height on one of my bows and it read the exact same from both positions however the way Bisch used it is fast and accurate, especially out in the field.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
Correction. You would be reading shorter than it actually is.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Reddogge.  Hook a tape measure to the base of the square and compare it at 7 inches to the mark it sits on top of on the ruler arm under neath it.  It will correspond to  7 1/8 inches on ruler arm under the tape. The inches scale on the square incorporates the 1/8-inch longer feet on either side of the base. By pressing the cut out part of the square base against the riser, it yields a brace hight that is 1/8-inch longer than a straight edge ruler.

Why is the square shaped as it is with string clips on either end of the foot if it wasn't meant to be attached to the string?  The string clips keep the square "square"/perpendicular to the string for consistent measurement of both brace height and nock point.  If one handholds the square foot against the throat of the riser, the ruler may or may not be square to the string, yielding inconsistent brace height results. Granted the differences may be small and inconsequential.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
I agree with Orion on its use and can't figure why some do not use the string clips.
Lon Scott

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
I have the feeling that every method discussed here works just fine. The key is doing it the same way each time. I don't know any bowyer who specifies his recommended brace height as n.000". It's normally a 3/4" or 1" range. A shooter tunes his bow to what he feels is the best brace height within that range. How he measures that distance is totally immaterial, as long as he measures it the same way each time. I keep a spread sheet for all my bows with brace height, nock height and draw weight at my draw length. What I call 7 3/4" may be 7 5/8" for someone else as he measures it, but I know what it is for me and can repeat it anytime I suspect string stretch, or when I replace the string.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
X2 Orion. I have always used the string clips.

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
I have always clipped mine onto the string. I push it on all the way. To the second "clip"
Although I must say it is always a pain to try and eyeball where the deepest part of the grip lines up with the rule.. i may try reversing  it like Bisch. I can see where it would be much easier to to see where the string intersects with the rule.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
The clips on the square are for measuring/installing nock locators, not for measuring brace height.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
If that's the case, why does the scale on the ruler incorporate the length of the feet?  If you measure from the indented part of the square, the scale is off by 1/8-inch. At least this is the case with the aluminum Cartel squares I have.  

Obviously, folks measure brace height in different ways.  Some also measure in different places, from string to deepest part of the grip is most common, but some measure from string to back of the arrow shelf.  Doesn't make any difference for the individual as long as you do it the same every time.  But it does make a difference when discussing brace height with others.  Need to know what method the other person is using to make accurate comparisons.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©