3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon in Tips  (Read 744 times)

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon in Tips
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
Just read a post that mentioned carbon in limbs are less forgiving and stop more abruptly.
I have a one piece recurve Tip on order, double carbon because Dave said it was very quiet. Speed is not that important to me. I am not a good shot and need all the accuracy I can get. Maybe I'm just getting nervous cuz its far more $ than I have ever spent on a bow and at 68 yrs old it could be my last big custom bow. I have a Stewart Slammer LB and figured I'd get a real nice recurve.
What is your opinion on carbon and double carbon?

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon in Tips
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
IMHO, carbon is good! I have a Centaur double carbon and it shoots very quick, smooth and is also very quiet.
I also have several Morrison's with carbon/foam limbs and find that to me they are the fastest, smoothest combination of all.

I don't think you will be displeased with the double carbon limbs!
Enjoy!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
I wrote a review of the double-carbon Silvertip.  

The only way IMHO that a carbon bow will be less forgiving/pleasant to shoot than a non-carbon bow is if there's something inherent in the bow's design itself, so I call horse feathers on that one.  

I noticed zero difference in shootability of the carbon Schafer vs the glass Schafer.  The only difference was the carbon bow was quieter, with less limb vibration and a whisker quicker.  How is all that not a good thing?  

I know some guys like that softer shot feel on a nice glass bow, its true carbon bows can feel a little more "crisp", but the carbon Schafer I tested was a delight.  Dave just started offering this option so there's not many of these bows out there, so they're kinda special IMHO.  

I think you will be delighted.  Its honestly not nearly as big a difference shot-feel wise as going from glass to carbon-foam since the carbon Schafer will still have actionwood or boo cores.  

Enjoy!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
I have a couple of Tips,arrived a month ago with double carbon limbs, they looks faster and at least as quiet as standard limbs,I plan to compare them side by side,they are the same poundage, I need to fix first my speedometer.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
Not worth $250 in my opinion.  Dave is still perfecting them.

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Frankie

Pros and Cons on that one. His time tested, FF limbs are hard to beat. Limbs "unfold" nicely on the draw,and are plenty fast and stable, with little limb oscillation after the shot. Carbon limbs are always claimed to be faster, and quieter, I have found that they have a noticeable sound to them, even with heavier arrows. Speed wise? To the naked eye, and the relaxed deer, no noticeable difference. You know me, I have been shooting Schafers for over 25 years. Good Luck, You'll love the REAL bow!
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
I have the double carbon that Chuck referred to above , I can't compare it to a non carbon tip but do know this bow is a rocket compared to my other bows in the same weight range  and shooting the same 625 gr arrows , the limbs are very stable and the bow has a very solid feel as well as a great , very smooth draw , if that is the carbon or just a tip characteristic  I don't know ,but  once I finally got to be friends with the grip and did some work to get it hunting quiet, I havent hunted with another bow , yea it's that good .
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Generally, carbon is really a consistent advantage in longbows. In recurves it all depends on design. Some it will help noticeably, others not so much. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you.

If I was having a Schafer built tomorrow I probably wouldn't get carbon for the reason Keith said. Dave is still perfecting and testing. If it was a few months from now I'd talk to Dave and make a decision based on his information/recommendation.

Either way, fantastic bows with or without carbon

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
Guys, THANK YOU all for the input, I am a few months away from the build so I will talk to Dave at that time. 9worlds I went back to your review which is one that helped me pull the trigger. Scott good to hear from you, I know your history with tips. I truly appreciate everyone's input, just hard to Spend so many $ on something that you have not taken for a test drive, however I have a lot of faith in Dave.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
Did u go with Carbon limbs?

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
Keith, I did go for the double carbon, I talked to Dave and he stated that it was very quiet. When I first got it the noise was terrible. Got a 10 ring string and scallops and was very happy with it. I love the bow. Cannot compare with noncarbon due to fact I have no other experience with them. I would love to have you try it next summer at a shoot, however it is a lefty.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
Franks, I'm glad the string helped. I would love to try out your "Tip sometime. Do you go to Denton Hill?

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
I have a 'tip on order, with the double carbon limbs. The way 'tips sell on the classified sites, I have no doubt I can move it if I don't find it to my liking.
bryce olson

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 06:40:00 AM »
A.S. Yes I go to Denton and I would be honored to let you fling some arrows. Anyone is welcome to also...

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
Awesome, I plan on being there again next year.  We will have to get together.

I have a standard glass Silvertip.  We can compare the two

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©