3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rain Gear advice (Cabela's Rain Suede)  (Read 571 times)

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
Rain Gear advice (Cabela's Rain Suede)
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
I haven't had any decent rain gear for hunting in a long time.  If it is not raining very hard, I wear wool, which I love.  However, there are times when a good storm blows in dumping rain pretty hard, SO, I am looking to get some quality rain gear.

I am quite budget limited right now and was looking at the Cabela's winter sale and saw several different rain gear models for sale.

Because of limited budget, I was wondering if anyone here had experience with the Cabela's Rain Suede.  They are the least expensive right now, which is helpful.

But, I don't want to buy poor quality and have to spend more a later.  They also have the Space Rain, and MT 050 on sale but both are quite a bit more.

I know you usually get what you pay for, but wondered if anyone can tell me anything about the Rain Suede or these other models.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rain Gear advice (Cabela's Rain Suede)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
Read the reviews on Cabelas and then decide....If you buy the Rain Suede and are not happy you can send it back for a refund. Cabelas is awesome ! My grandfather also taught me a lesson...."Cry once or cry often " You may cry once when you buy the better stuff but you will not be crying everytime you are wet and cold....  :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
I'm with Jimmy, can't skimp on bows, arrows, boots or clothes. Pay now or pay later.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
OK I see you live in Washington where y'all get some serious rain. I have had Rain Suede, and MT 50. Got wet in both from the inside because I am a ground pounder.
If you just can't spend a lot the Rain Suede is good and fairly quiet. If you plan to spend more-there are some good choices out there. Personally I use Sitka Gear and it works pretty well. No rain gear is perfect by the way-if water can't get in sweat can't get out.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
I had a similar product and it gains weight and you still feel kinda wet in it.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
Stopped home for lunch and looked at the replies.  

I know I have to spend some, I just don't have much to spend right now with some family financial challenges.  That is why I asked about the the 3 Cabela's types of rain gear.  They are on sale right now. I have been buying from Cabelas for nearly 40 years.

I was hoping to get both a jacket and pants, but don't know know anything about any of them, and right now probably can't get both unless I get the cheapest of them.  I have read the descriptions and reviews, and like any other you get mixed reviews and they are all made to sound like they are fantastic in the descriptions.

I was wondering if members here could tell me more.  Besides hunting in Washington and occasionally in Wyoming, I hope one day to hunt caribou and others in Alaska or Canada.  Would be good to have good rain gear, but can't break the bank right now.

Thanks fo rhte replies, and other thoughts are wwelcome.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
For the price I was not disappointed with the rain suede, and ended up returning the MT 50. There is a spray on product-can't recall the name-after the first year I used that on the rain suede and that worked well. You will get wet after a long exposure but the fewer items you have on with straps-like packs and quivers the longer you remain dry. Also if rain gear fits too tightly you will get wet for sure with the less expensive stuff.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
Thanks Bjorn.  I was leaning towards the Rain Suede, but one of the MT050 models was reduced quite a bit also. However,  It looks like it doesn't have a storm flap over the zipper.

Does the Rain Suede have a flap over the zipper?
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Matt Quick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
I've had great luck with the space rain gear. Very lite. Packs up small so you'll always carry it. The top and bottom roll up to about the size of a 32 oz nalgene water bottle.  I've worn it in some absolute down pours while riding in a boat with no canopy and never got wet. I tried the MT050 and sent it back. Much bulkier than the space rain and not as waterproof.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
TSchirm I am pretty sure both MT 050 and rain suede have flaps over the zipper. My son and I used the rain suede for years before switching to Sitka and rain suede had flaps for sure.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  Anyone else got any info on these models?
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
I have an MTO jacket that has worked well for me.  Just got a pair of the Rain Suede pants...couldn't pass them for $44!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
I guess I'll have to stop by Cabela's next week when I am in Spokane (Cabelas in Post Falls, ID is about 15 miles from our Regional Office)and look at these options.

Thanks for your input guys.  Anyone that has experience with these rain gear options, please weigh in.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
I've used Rain Suede for years with great results.  I have absolutely no issues and have never gotten wet as a result of the product failing. Mt050 is quieter when brand new, but the rain suede softens up and quiets down quickly.  

I'm a tournament bass fisherman and have some really expensive rain gear for that - the rain suede has performed just as well at a fraction of the cost.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©