3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 under tab was not nice to me...  (Read 1774 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
3 under tab was not nice to me...
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
Lol! Been shooting with 3 under and glove. Progress has been amazing. Still have not gotten my arrows fixed up but shooting a bunch of arrows of mixed weights and spines for practice. Out to about 15-16 yards im doing really well for my first week. I ordered a 3 under tab calf hair from black widow. Came in today and poof, my shooting was awful. Started getting string slap, couldn't get an anchor nor a good release. Is this a start game over deal or just need a lot more time with the tab? Go back to the glove but get a medium size because the large seems too big. Is a tab the way to go for a better cleaner release or is it just a preference?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 under tab was not nice to me...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
Most of the time you need to trim the tab to fit you.  Some people just use them the way they come but trimming generally fixes problems.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »
I got a medium I don't think I could trim anything...
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Kat, does my index finger need to just touch the nock underneath or have some space?

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
How deep are you hooking the string?  Take a look at the example below.  Don't be afraid of the deep hook.

The other thing I've encountered is that I need a "thinner" tab or glove than some people.  It's very individual.

I have a basic "can't pinch" tab that shoots wonderfully.  I have two other "big name", highly respected tabs that are thicker than the "can't pinch" and, for some reason, I don't shoot them as well.  I don't think I get the string placement the same as with a thinner tab like my "can't pinch".  

YMMV

homebru

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
do you recommend trying the tab without the rubber flap in the middle?

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Until you find what is right for you, it is all one great big experiment. You just have to try different things until one day you try somrthing that just feels right!

Bisch

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by VA Elite:
Kat, does my index finger need to just touch the nock underneath or have some space?
Most will have it lightly touching the nock. Yes you can have it slightly below but whatever you do you must do it consistently. If hunting it is easier to feel the nock with your finger vs. looking at the string to place your fingers.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
Suggest that you shoot only the tab and forget the glove, if your desire is to switch. I personally shoot a tab with far better accuracy than I do a glove, and it's even more noticeable in colder weather. I shoot the Black Widow 3-under calf-hair tab.

Look at this tab and you'll notice it is a 3 layer tab. Calf-hair / rubber cushion / suede leather. Those 3 layers are separate and able to move independently as the tab flexes and bends. When it is new, these layers haven't really relaxed or formed into what they will after several hundred shots. Break-in is necessary and will yield a smoother feeling release.

As far as you not getting an anchor, bad release, etc...I'm pretty sure a coach would determine you're dealing with a certain amount of distraction from the new tab and hand position. If your mind is on the tab and doubts the results, you'll experience degradation in form and follow-through. Basics are needed:

1. Ignore the tab. Draw to full draw and anchor completely. Do not release. Let the bow down. Repeat this 30 x day until the feeling is automatic.

2. Ignore the tab. Draw and get to anchor. Shoot at 5 yards and pay no attention to what the arrow does. I repeat...ignore the arrow, too. Just draw, anchor tight and shoot. Repeat until this feels automatic. Keep ignoring the arrow. Might take a couple weeks or months.

3. Ignore the tab. Ignore the arrow. Wander in your yard or a field and shoot at unknown distances. Focus only on deliberate full draw, tight anchor and good release. You don't recognize the tab and you don't care where the arrow hits. Shoot to have fun and build form.

I'm confident you'll be fine with time and good practice. Most of it is mental.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
very good advice, thank you. I will keep shooting the tab for now. I did some trimming and made it even smaller. I have way less than 100 shots through it. I noctice that if my index finger rest just touching the nock, I have problems. If I leave about a 1/4 " space I shoot better... what gives?

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
Likely when you draw that the string angle and fingertip are compressing space inside that angle, resulting in finger pressure on the nock. This can affect arrow flight if it happens inconsistently...meaning that some contact isn't a bad thing if it always happens the same way. I do make nock contact intentionally...though lightly.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by VA Elite:
do you recommend trying the tab without the rubber flap in the middle?
If you are shooting 3 under, you want a solid tab, not one with a slot for the arrow or a finger divider.  The slot and divider are for shooting split finger, aka Mediterranean release.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/3-Fingers+Under+Cordovan+Leather+Shooting+Tab_iTC3X_baseitem.html
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
what would be causing this sudden string slap on my bow arm? Never hit my arm once with the glove. I changed something somewhere.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
my tab is the BW and it has splits for the 3 under fingers. I do not like that.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
I've got a question for you.... Do you have a second string nock below your arrow?  most guys i've seen that shoot 3 under use two nocks. This allows tour tab to slide up to the lower nock exactly the same every time without touching the arrow.  The trick to using two nocks successfully is spacing them so the arrow doesn't bind up at full draw. so you need a bit of extra room between the two.  

Also.... you want your arrow nocks to snap on easily and stay on your string when you hold your bow with the arrow hanging off it. Then gently tap the string and have the arrow drop off... Consistent fit on your arrow nock to the string is a big deal.... Too tight and you'll get erratic arrow flight.... too loose and the arrow can move on the string at release.

All these little things effect your arrow flight...

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
no second nock, I never thought about that. see this is why I love this site!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
My advice is always the same...when making any form change shoot a thousand shots with the change before making any decisions...I recently shot with a compound shooter at a 3D shoot...his coach made him shoot 2000 shots blind baling before he would let him go back to any sort of aimed shot...that is with a mechanical release which is much easier to master than a finger release

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Try a bateman or cavalier tab. You will like it.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
VA,
Tabs, like gloves are a personal preference thing.  I,like you, recently switched from a glove.  One of the consensus best tabs out there I can't shoot for squat. I don't know why, it's cordovan faced which most prefer but the string just does not come off my fingers like it did my glove. Ironically, the only tab I can easily interchange with my glove is the BW  3U (non-calf hair model) I can't shoot the CH model either.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©