3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: All Trad 2015  (Read 1721 times)

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
All Trad 2015
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Well, I finally committed to hunt only with a trad bow during the 2015 archery season.  So since the first day of 2015 I only packed my tall tines recurve and let the compounds hang out in the safe.  I learned quit a bit in the last few weeks of hunting that I'd never noticed while hunting with a compound.  My biggest lesson came the last day of our 2014-15 when stalking turkeys.  I was in a crep field with stubble about 8" high and my attached quiver let my arrow knocks stick down below my limb just enough to act like a rake head.  If the birds had of come into range I would've had a though time getting drawn from my knees without canting the bow way over.  Another day last weekend I was out and got on some turkeys and I was wearing my bacalva that I thought was the greatest thing because it was warm and I could easily slide it over and hit my anchor point, what it lacked though was a bill to keep the sun outa my eyes and I couldn't see a thing! So I didn't kill a deer or turkey the last few weeks of season but I did manage to connect on a rabbit running with my recurve.  I traded off one of my compounds last week to a savannah and traded another tonight to a shot gun.... So with all that out of my way I'm looking forward to an all trad 2015!  This site is awesome and the folks here have answered lots of questions Ive had over the past couple years!  Thanks guys and good luck
to all of you this year!

Re: All Trad 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
Keep after it and it will happen!

There is just about no other feeling in the world like that when you walk up to the first critter you ever shoot with a trad bow!

Bisch

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
Good on ya! I commited to hunting all last season trad only. Missed a good 8 point in October and got a spike later in the season. Worth every minute! I learned a lot this season and I'm also looking forward to an all trad 2015!!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 06:45:00 AM »
Good for you...!

Patience and persistence, and it will happen.....if it were easy everybody would be hunting with a stick and string...
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 06:45:00 AM »
Im going to make it happen as well. The only thing that will stop me is me. My shooting needs to be pretty darn good or I won't chance injuring an animal for the sake of just saying I went all trad.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
I did the same thing but it's been a few years now. I found a guy on craigslist and traded my compound for a .22 mag and a mossberg 12 gauge.

I haven't looked back and will never go back to the wheelies. I'd rather eat tag soup for the next 10 years and be happy doing it.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Harleywriter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
Never have shot a compound, let alone hunted with one. Not to say I wouldn't if I was physically unable to hunt with a recurve or longbow. My son hunts with a  compound and I still love him and hunt with him. LOL.

Lots of things come into play with traditional (I refuse to call it trad) bowhunting and all of them make you a better woodsman and hunter.

What I like about traditional archery is there are fewer people who do it. I am not a joiner and this is about as congenial as I get.

Patience and persistence indeed! You are doing it. Congratulations.
Schafer Silvertip; Mahaska longbow; Highwood Hunter; Bear Super Kodiak and way too many others

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
I went total traditional last year and will do so again this year. You won't regret it
SWA Spyder

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
Going all trad was the best hunting decision I ever made.  Enjoy it so much more now
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
Sounds good, stick with it as their is nothing like the thrill of taking game with a stick bow IMO. I made the switch about 14 years ago and have never looked back.....KY  :archer:

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
I've been doing it for over six years, you aren't as successful on the kill front, but way more rewarding in so many other ways and when you do get an animal it is very special.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
You kept your compound bow in a safe!? You shoulda left that sucker on your front porch. Then you would have made this fine decision sooner!!   :biglaugh:  
Congratulations on your journey. You won't believe you waited this long.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
The journey may be absorbed much more fully and less distracted by the freedom from the clutter of mindful distractions.

Enjoy your endeavor!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
Keep after it and it will happen!

There is just about no other feeling in the world like that when you walk up to the first critter you ever shoot with a trad bow!

Bisch
Yeah what Bisch said. I hope you find out this year Brother!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline womblesd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
I started shooting a recurve at age 17, still hunting traditional at 60, and will be traditional until I can hunt no more.
Dan Wombles
Lake St Louis, MO
hunt Pike County, IL

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by KyRidgeRunner:
This site is awesome.......
It ain't the site, it's the bow.

:biglaugh:

homebru

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 05:45:00 AM »
Good to hear. I went completely traditional this year. Thats all I hunted with all year. I set out during the gun seasons. Dont have anything against any other weapon but there are no words to do traditional bowhunting justice. I made the switch a few years back. Enjoy the journey!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
Me, Traditional Only.. But the wheel bow is staying just in case of an injury that would otherwise sideline me. I appreciate all that is Archery and hunt with guys who prefer wheels to wood.
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement guys!  I feel like I did when a first started bow hunting 17 years ago!  I'm super excited to work on stands and ground blinds that will allow for close shots.  It's going to happen this year... I can feel it in my bones!

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Like it was said above....nothing beats walking up on your first  harvest! I went 100% traditional in 2013... took my compound to the local archery shop and had it reworked to my son's dimensions. He is happy and I am giddy with being full traditional!  The guys at work think I'm off my rocker, but I sure do enjoy being simple! I don't see myself ever picking a compound back up.

God bless,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©