3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Public Land Bucks  (Read 2028 times)

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
Public Land Bucks
« on: January 23, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
It seems now days everyone feels the that to kill large bucks you must own private land and pay top dollar to be able to hunt. Big whitetails. I myself am starting to believe it as. Well.  Anyone have any public Land bucks kill. Photos
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Public Land Bucks
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
I don't have any pictures at the moment, but where I live there is more public land than you could probably hunt in a lifetime and not very many people out there to hunt it (especially during archery season), I know tons and tons and tons of people who have killed absolute monsters on public land.

In my area the biggest bucks come off of public land - perks of living in the center of 500,000 acres of public stuff and only having a population of 8,000 people.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
Wow that would be incredible

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Guess it depends on where the public land is and how much of it there is.  I'm blessed to have thousands of acres of public land surrounding my land.  Hunting pressure is fairly low.  I hunt public land more than my own, and shoot more bucks on public land than I do on my own.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
Not all public land is created equal.  in south and central FL most of the quality habitat is privately owned.  There may be  big bucks out there, but the density mat just be very low.  I've seen one absolutely monster on public land here in FL, but I've never been able to take one with trad gear.  Mostly I see does and very young bucks...

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
I have access to great public land here in Maryland. I can not post any photos of deer I have taken since all my nice ones have not been with traditional gear.
Every year the two places I hunt a few 170, 160, 150 and down deer are taken
I love Bow Hunting

Online Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Not so. There are absolute brutes roaming the wilds of Michigan's U.P. On thousands of acres of flat out public land. We are spoiled in Michigan and I love it! Our brothers in Wisconsin and Minnesota have the same blessing.

Online Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Same thing in Iowa and Illinois I have killed p&ys to booners on public land and seen allot I couldnt connect with.
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline TxRuckus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
I envy you guys in states that have placed an emphasis on dedicated public lands. Here in Texas you must have access to private land if you plan on harvesting anything regardless of quality. This is especially true in the southern parts of the state. I've hunted a bit of the south eastern national forests we have (Sam Houston and Davey Crockett NF) but found them to be over crowded even during archery season and access beyond the established deer camps sketchy at best.
"You can never have too many knives"
~Logan Ninefingers

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
IMO I think the bucks on public land in southern and the northern lower of Mi unscrew their horns in Sept hide them in a stump and don't put them back on till January. LOL

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
There are pics of public land monsters circulating here. I'm sure you'll see. It is way harder to get one on public land because of pressure, but they are there.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
"Public land" is not the same everywhere.  I grew up in MI- hunted serious there and even as a NR this past fall and other years.  Honestly- to harvest a mature buck on public ground in MI (let alone see one)is either like winning the lottery or you would have to about sell your soul. Once you hunt another Midwest state you would immediately recognize the almost ridiculous comparison.  Give up worrying about mature deer on public ground in MI and enjoy hunting.  A forky/doe there is equivalent to a mature deer in many other states.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Not a mid west monster, but a decent one for public land in PA and my biggest to date.  Killed in 2013.

>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
Nice buck John looks like my buck I harvested this year
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
I saw the same 115" +/- buck 3 times this year on public land here in NY.  almost had him in bow range bot a hot doe was better than a fight.

A buck that size isn't too bad for around these parts
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
I have hunted public for years in Maine, Pa, WVA and Ohio. I have killed some good ones and seen giants. I missed a 160 class this year on public. I find if you take the time to scout and get away from people you will find them.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
I agree with KS DAN public Land in Michigan is ridiculous a 4pt or a broken up 7pt is a good buck here. Even though I've gotten wind lately (not on here)  that out of state hunters aren't to welcome in ohio I'm heading by on the conesville coal land this spring for a scout and then back in the fall for a rut hunt.

Offline bowzonly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
I almost have to laugh when some people talk about crowded public land.  It can't be any worse than NJ. I live in the most densely populate corridor of the most densely populated state in the nation. It is one of the smallest states yet has one of the highest ratio of bowhunters.  Half the deer killed in this state every year are taken by bowhunters. Baiting and crossbows are allowed. I don't even go on weekends yet four out of five of my hunts are interrupted by other hunters walking under my stand (many during prime hours).  You cant hunt anywhere were there is not a road within a couple miles so there is no way to get away from the crowds.  I am seriously considering not even buying my license this year and just hunting out of state. First, now that my kids are grown I will check out some of the larger tracks of public land  in the northern part of the state.  I don't even care about trophy deer.  I just want to see more game than people.

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
Buck on my avatar was killed on public ground 167". Public ground rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just get back and away from parking areas.    :thumbsup:

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
Fortunate enough to take this buck on public land this year. Don't have access to any private land so public land is where I spend my time. We have some decent bucks you just don't see them a lot

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©