3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Split/3 Under,How many do both?  (Read 659 times)

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
Split/3 Under,How many do both?
« on: January 23, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
How many are proficient with either method,at the drop of the hat? Been trying to use both in my practice sessions,but the 3 under is throwing the shots lower than split!  I have to try to remember this.Trying to be deadly either way,without any warm up's
Anyone here do both accurately?
Thanks!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Split/3 Under,How many do both?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
not me
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
I have a friend that has a bow with two shelves so he can shoot it left or right handed.  He shoots three finger under right handed and split left handed.  My little brain would be scrambled. LOL

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
I use split   :archer:   but teach new archers 3 under(faster   :archer2:   success) but I'm not comfortable changing back and forth (tried 3 under)old dog new tricks   :deadhorse:   LOL
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
I shoot better with 3 under since there is much less gap between my arrow point and my target.  Split felt like a big guessing game for me, everytime I released an arrow I found myself praying and hoping lol. I'm pretty new to shooting trad bows but that's my experience so far.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
I don't have enough time invested in 3 under to feel comfortable switching back and forth.
it makes a huge difference on my sight picture, and my anchor point is different on 3 under.

besides that... setting the bow up for 3 under it requires the arrow nock to be slightly higher than split finger for decent arrow flight.

This may sound silly to some guys, but my alignment seems to suffer from 3 under with a nose on feather anchor. I feel like i have better back tension control with a slightly lower anchor.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
I shoot right and left handed with draw weights into the 60 pound range...I used to shoot 3 under until I found that 2 under gave me better releases...right now, after an extended period of shooting 3 finger split I am working on shooting 2 finger split...I have some left handed bows that I will always shoot with a 3 finger split release...do not let anyone tell you that an old dog cannot learn new tricks...I am 63 years old

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
I like the sight picture,that 3 under provides,but love the better accuracy (for me)that split provides.Shooting 3 under gives me ok accuracy,but I just cant get the drop down pat.Some days are frustrating,trying this,and I wonder if I'm creating more of a problem than it's worth?
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
I shoot split, but can also shoot 3 under, right handed only.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
Some years ago, I switched from split to 3 under.  I practiced with it for a few months, and felt like it was becoming natural for me to shoot that way.  Then the first time I went hunting, I shot over the deer's back because I unconsciously reverted to split for that shot.  I think I did that because the last time I hunted before that, I was using split, and my hunting mind hadn't switched over to 3 under yet, even though it felt natural to me on targets.

Now that I shoot targets more than I hunt, I've considered face walking, which would probably include using both split and 3 under, to reduce my gaps at different distances, and would still be legal in the tournaments I shoot in.  But I haven't done that because I don't want to complicate my life, which is the whole reason I got away from shooting compounds to start with.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
Quite a few archers who shoot longer distances use both methods and know exactly what distance to switch at in order to best utilize their new "point on".
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
when I started out I shot 3 under. Then I switched to split for about 4 years. Then I switched back to 3 under about 2 years ago.I shoot all over the place when I try to switch them back and forth during the same shooting session
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
If you shoot split and use your middle finger as an anchor or you shoot 3under and use your index finger,they're both the same, they put the arrow at the same level to your eye, maybe that's why I can do both without much bother.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
I hunt and shoot 3-D split but indoor 3 under.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »
There are times (like now) that I am not hunting and only shooting 300 Indoor leagues and am tempted to shoot 3 under, somehow aiming and upping my score a little bit.  Then I have to remember why I shoot the way I do in the first place.  Instinctively snap shooting with a split finger grip has proven to be a great method for both 3d shoots and hunting, although I think if I were to shoot a 3 under gap or point of aim style I believe my consistency and scores would improve.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
I can't shoot split well...for some reason I can't find a consistent anchor shooting split
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
Can you do both with the same bow? Doesn't it have to be tillered for one or the other?

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
There are times (like now) that I am not hunting and only shooting 300 Indoor leagues and am tempted to shoot 3 under, somehow aiming and upping my score a little bit.  Then I have to remember why I shoot the way I do in the first place.  Instinctively snap shooting with a split finger grip has proven to be a great method for both 3d shoots and hunting, although I think if I were to shoot a 3 under gap or point of aim style I believe my consistency and scores would improve.
Just curious why you think shooting split is better for hunting when you admit you think your accuracy and consistency would improve shooting 3 under? 3 under doesn't seem inherently slower or more cumbersome to me. I'm not trying to debate you, I'm pretty new to trad shooting and just would like to hear more on your reasons for choosing the split style.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
3 under for me exclusively.   :archer2:  Been that way for almost 20 years!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
I switched to 3 under this year and am very happy with the results.  However, I have an old bear recurve that I still shoot split with.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©