3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Split/3 Under,How many do both?  (Read 660 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Split/3 Under,How many do both?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Ione, there is going to be an optimal method of shooting any bow, based on the tiller of the bow.  However, you can vary from that optimal method quite a bit without noticing any adverse effects other than perhaps an increase in noise.  The extreme would be string walking, where the string hand is placed inches away from the nock point depending on the distance to the target.  String walkers are known to be very accurate shooters, to the point that the method is banned in many traditional archery tournaments.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
I'll join saying that shooting 3 under isn't specific to gap shooting or face walking or whatever aiming method one chooses, and adversely split finger isn't specific to instinctive.  

I shoot 3 under, purely instinctive.  I switched because I can feel my anchor better, plain and simple.  It most likely has something to do with how my face is shaped, in my best estimation.  Regardless it works better for me.  

I PERSONALLY don't see the any reason in switching back and forth between the two.  Like McDave pointed out it seems to be a recipe for disaster in a hunting situation.  That, however is just me.  Individuality is a resounding theme in traditional archery.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
Tried 3 under went back to split finger.

Online Timbuck2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
I'm slowly going to three under after thirty plus years shooting split.

It all started when I could not shoot a kodiak mag with split fingers. I switched with that bow and now find myself shooting three under with my other bows.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
Krex1010- I have very little difficulty putting ONE arrow where I would like it shooting split fingered, instinctively snap shooting.  I like to throw out a can and shoot it with blunt points and stump shoot. I don't know why by my ability to put an arrow where I want it without thinking about the range goes away when I shoot 3 under and can see the arrow more clearly.  I shot my turkey last spring in the base of the neck at 31 yards (purposefully) and my doe at 39 (ranged after the fact)snap shooting split fingered, but the distance was not on my mind.  When hunting I have 2 ranges, in or out of range. Knowing the range exactly seems to hurt my shooting.  I like to think to my self "I'm going to make this shot", not "I'm going to make this X yards shot". However, I have shot some pretty abysmal groups at 20 yards shooting NFAA or Vegas targets when instinctively shooting.  Shooting 3 under, for me, seems to force me to aim, atleast a little bit, and I can't so readily disregard the range of my target, so if all I shot was 20 yard paper targets I think I would score alot better if I shot 3 under while hindering my hunting shot ability.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©