3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dont try this at home test  (Read 361 times)

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Dont try this at home test
« on: January 24, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
I have been tuning arrows for my new longbow and had to satisfy a curiosity. So I took a few shot at 20 yards with a big magnus 1.5inch wide  broadhead on a bare shaft with 30% efoc. Pretty interesting.

http://tbwpodcast.com/video-37-efoc-bare-shaft-broadhead-test/

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dont try this at home test
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
So you're saying you think that it is doing that well because of the high percentage of weight up front? How do you figure the percentage? I've got a 626 grain total arrow weight,and the weight up front is 322 grains. That flies great for me. I know that's probably fairly high,but don't really know how to figure it.

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
Interesting! Thanks for sharing the results, now stop shooting so damn much before you blow something out and can only write about traditional archery..  ;)
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Alexander Traditional:
So you're saying you think that it is doing that well because of the high percentage of weight up front? How do you figure the percentage? I've got a 626 grain total arrow weight,and the weight up front is 322 grains. That flies great for me. I know that's probably fairly high,but don't really know how to figure it.
Enter that arrow into the Stu Miller Dynamic Spine calculator and it will calculate the FOC for you.

Bisch

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
Thanks Bisch. I couldn't find one on the Stu's that would let me dial it in without downloading it. I found something on 3Rivers site that let me dial it all in,and it said I had right at 26%.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
I was waiting for disaster.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
The AMO method is to measure your arrow from base of point to valley of nock. This is your total arrow length. Then, balance your arrow on something fairly narrow (pencil, triangular ruler). Mark the balance point with a Sharpie and measure from the valley of the nock to the balance point. Divide the balance point measurement by the full lenght of the arrow, subtract 0.5 and multiply by 100 (to get percentage rather than  dec imal value).

If the arrow balanced at the mid-point, and the arrow is 30" BOP to nock, you would have 15/30 = 0.5, minus 0.5 = 0*100  = 0%.

If it balanced 20" from the valley of the nock,

20/30 = .667, - .5 = 0.167 * 100 = 16.7% FOC.

By the way, if I calculate my arrow FOC using Stu's calculator, I get the same FOC, so I would guess that's the method Stu used in his calculator.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
The Papua New Guinea natives shoot these massive broadhead arrows unfletched, and consider 25+ yards to be 'good shooting distance'. All are over 30% FOC.

Ed

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dr. Ed Ashby:
The Papua New Guinea natives shoot these massive broadhead arrows unfletched, and consider 25+ yards to be 'good shooting distance'. All are over 30% FOC.

Ed
I remembered you saying that many arrows were shot with broadheads on no fletching. I could not remember the percentage of efoc you mentioned but it was one of the reasons I wanted to try the test. I'm not gonna lie, I first shot that arrow at 3 yards, then 5, then 10, then 15, the 20 just to see where things started to get screwy. It wasn't until about 28-30 yards that my nock high issue started sinking my impact location noticeably.
Once I get my nock hieght perfect I'd expect near perfect flight at any distance base on what I saw whiledoing those shots.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
This is pretty neat.  I've never tried 'that' much FOC.  Gives new meaning to 'spear chukka' LOL.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©