3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: John Schulz bows  (Read 543 times)

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
John Schulz bows
« on: January 21, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
How many of the bows that went on **** have actually been bought already?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: John Schulz bows
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
None
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
Apparently one of the other archery sites has offered to do the auctions on their site and Schulz has accepted.

Personally, I think fleabay is beneath the quality offered by his bows.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
You still need someone willing to put up $4,000 or more dollars for a bow that sold for less than $1,000 a few years ago, just because it is the last dozen.  

I am not in any way saying they are, or are not worth that, but I don't have money like that to buy one (even if I have it sitting in checking right now).  the bay got them out in front of the world and nobody was willing to bid, save one that was promptly pulled.  

The folks on that other site all knew about the auction and discussed it, just like here and likely every other bow related e-site.

CHuckC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
Pavan   My birthday is coming up soon !   :bigsmyl:

Yeah, little things like the right draw and weight ( and handedness) sure make it tough when only one or two are offered so far.
ChuckC

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
He would have made a lot more money raffling them off at $25-50 a ticket. At least half of them.

Various states sell AND raffle Governor's tag for sheep (mainly). I'd have to look deeper but I'd put money on the raffle tags bringing in more money than the auction tags.

Plus it give the common man a chance--only the uber rich can afford $80,000-400,000 Governor tags. Same thing applies to these "Parting Shots".

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
I'm guessing nobody knew what would happen.  There is at least one other person out there on **y taking advantage and selling a Schultz bow for a lot more than he would normally get.  

A raffle might still happen, who knows...

ChuckC

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
Its too bad that his sons did not continue John's Legacy on building these great bows. But each person has their own fate on what they want to do.  If they had then these bows would still be in a price range of the average Joe.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Yes, Traditional Archery Society.

Offline CLOVIS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
The best way to make a small fortune is to take a large fortune and start building bows. And don't quit your day job because you will need it.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
Raffle tickets - for at least one offering - would have been a wonderful opportunity....

Especially, for a LEFTY !!!

:jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »
Chuckc your points are well taken.  Out of 100 people who would like to own one, there may be only one willing and able to pay for it.

The way to move these bows at auction is a long offering period (say 14 days), a one hundred $ starting bid, NO RESERVE, and most of all, a willingness to accept that the final closing bid might be a blow to the ego.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
Honestly I don't believe for a second its all about money.

The average trad bow on the market is running close to 1k finished and shipped with a sock and 2 spare strings.  That's for most of the 2 piece take downs.

These are NOT bows that you're going to go out on the back 40 or in my case walk into the hills and beat the living tarnation out of.   I don't honestly believe that is what was ment by 'The parting shot' series John is putting out.

If you want a similar user bow, they exist, custom made ready to order by Nate or Dave!  I say user sheepishly because they are a far cry to a piece of work I'd care to go out and beat the snot out of!  They are pieces of art unto themselves!

What you are buying is a piece of history.  The people who will be willing to buy it wont LIKELY be the average person.   Its going to likely be some form of collector which a collection fitting to have one, museum.   These are not your Fords of the bow world.    

This is not an average collection, this is the last of a bow you almost never see for sale these days.  Lord knows I have 2 and every time I turn around can find a reason to sell them to pay for this or that...but in the end I know better!   I will never own one again if I do!  These will be the last two bows hanging on my walls when I can no longer shoot!

There is no comparison to what your buying to what is currently on the market...hence there is no value comparison fitting for what it is.  

Its dissappointing to see folk slamming one of our greats (in multiple threads now) in any shape.

case in point...I can walk into walmart on any given day and buy a good user knive for 20-30 bucks.  It wont be pretty but it will be functional.

On that same token I can call up Doug or any other master smith and have a knife built for substantially more than most people would care to spend for a bow with comparable bells and whistles!   Throw muskox scalps on a hand forged Damascus complete with engravings.  

I cant afford one.  I sure wish I could, one would be sold.  I'm just another broke stiff trying to survive amongst wolves.   That said, I can see the value in them.  Look around a little, you may too!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Can we please stick to TradGang tradition and let John sell his bows as he wishes without giving him any grief.   These are the last of John's bows and deserve more respect here no matter how or where he is selling them.

At this point in my life I can't bid.....but wish him the best and hope the owners enjoy them.  I would love to own one period....either one of these or a used one....but it's not in the cards for me right now.

God bless you John.....and thanks for everything you have done for traditional archery and bowhunting.

:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Can we please stick to TradGang tradition and let John sell his bows as he wishes without giving him any grief.   These are the last of John's bows and deserve more respect here no matter how or where he is selling them.

At this point in my life I can't bid.....but wish him the best and hope the owners enjoy them.  I would love to own one period....either one of these or a used one....but it's not in the cards for me right now.

God bless you John.....and thanks for everything you have done for traditional archery and bowhunting.

:notworthy:      :notworthy:      :notworthy:  
Well said. x2

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
Terry    :thumbsup:  

Its a lot more than just a bow thats up for bid...

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

Amen!!!!!
Let's show respect, encourage, or help Mr. Schulz finish up his bow making career with some appreciation for all he's tried to share with those of us that have been interested in doing it "Howard's Way".

:notworthy:      :notworthy:      :notworthy:  
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
Glad to see these last few posts!  People who get it

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
yes Dan and there are more people then you realize that get it.....a lot of people emailed me that were afraid to post because they were afraid they would break the rules in response.

This one really leaves me scratching my head when one of our own, who is deeply involved and has been for many years, gets treated like this.

That I don't get.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
Thank you Mr. Terry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©