3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boil, Steam, or Heat gun to bend Osage limb tips?  (Read 1836 times)

Offline FLGATOR

• Trad Bowhunter
Boil, Steam, or Heat gun to bend Osage limb tips?
« on: January 23, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
I just finished tillering and Osage stave that is two years old.  I noticed on the tree that at my drawlength the string angle puts the string angle right at 90 degrees.  So I wish to kick the tips some (about 20-25 degrees).

I have tried using a heat gun in the past, the wood moves and retains the kick.  However, I almost always end up with a hairline crack on the belly.

So what is the best way to get the tips to do what I want and not get that hairline crack? Boil, steam, or heat gun.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boil, Steam, or Heat gun to bend Osage limb tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
On dry wood I have the best luck with a heat gun and dry heat, maybe some mineral oil to help transfer heat and help prevent scorching, but often with no oil. I have not had a problem with hiarline cracks on the belley that you mentioned. Radius the bend around a curved form or object rather than making a sharp bend at one point. I like to clamp the tip and use the leverage of the bow to bend as heated. I "feel" for the give or softening of the wood as I heat and use this as a guide while bending.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Well put Shaun,,,,
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline FLGATOR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Thanks!

I have been using Crisco.  Is using mineral oil better than Crisco?

I also have been heating the wood to the point of scaulding and making the bend in one motion (like shown in Horseapples build along in the How to section.  From what you just described I misinterpreted something and need to take it a bit slow and heat as I go.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
Since I read about steam bending in one of Osagetree buildalongs, I now only steam bend, even on dry osage.

The heat gun was never a success for me.

Good luck,
F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Eric, any oil or grease should work fine. I like mineral oil because it is compatible with Tru Oil finish. You should be able to feel the wood give when it is hot enough. It may take several minutes for the heat to penetrate and soften the resins in the center of the piece.

Brad Merkel (Littletree) uses boiling to make radical recurve bends in his bow tips. These extreme bends usually cause a splinter to lift on the belly but he does them while he still has wood to spare on the tips.

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
I like to steam osage and then bend over a form of some type. The few times I have tried dry heat, I got hair line cracks. Perhaps I was doing it wrong? But with steam I've never had a problem.

"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »
I use a heat gun with olive oil(it's handy) and have bent some pretty sharp curves. For drastic curves I use a form with metal banding to support the belly. I usually let gravity tell me when it time to bend. I like to work it slow so I can be sure the bend is even and straight.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Go to the How-To page and check out J.D. Jones' bamboo backed static build-a-long. Good tips there.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
20-25 degrees, no doubt, the heatgun would be the choice for me.  If you are getting cracks, you are either not heating it long enough or concentrating your bend in too short of an area.  I'd make the last 5" or so of the limb bend in a fairly even radius.  Now, if you are going for 60-90 degrees, I'd say boil it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FLGATOR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Thanks for all your advice!!!!!  I used the heat gun with mineral oil and received better than expected results.  I don't see Crisco entering the equation ever again.  The shop and bow don't smell like burnt popcorn!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©