3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best treestand safety harness?  (Read 953 times)

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best treestand safety harness?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
I use the Hunter Safety System mesh vest/harness.  Easy to get situated in the dark and does'nt bother my shooting over or under my hunting clothes.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
Hunter Saftey System!!

Bill

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
I use the safety system that came with my Northstarr Treecat Archer climbing stand. It straps across the shoulders, around the waist  and around the thighs. It uses a simple heavy duty nylon rope that is looped around the tree and attaches to the harness using a Prusic hitch and a heavy duty locking carabiner. It's quickly adjustable and silent. I hook up at the base of the tree and just move the loop up as I climb. It is very secure and very comfortable. I wear a Primos Bowhunters Vest over it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
i love the gorilla deluxe vest that comes with a linemens belt for hanging stands, a saftey harrness for sitting and a climbing harness for climbing.  its all in a vest so there is no tangles and its quite comfortable.  they are between 50-75$ but are well worth it.  wal mart has them for about 55 and cabelas and bass pro are about 80.  i really like em!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline carphunter100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
Hunters Safty System. I have tryed most if not all of them and the HSS is the best I ever had on. You can use it under or over. I have never had it get in my way. It is a safty harness, a drag system, and you can get the extra belt and it will work like a pole climbing belt, works nice when hanging stands.
Member WV Bowhunters Associaion Life member of Trad. Bowhunters of Southern WV

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
I use a SOP as well.  Haven't caught the strap yet, but will be taking a look at it now.  I usually pull them pretty tight to keep my jacket outta the way.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
JC:

I know its hot down there... 89 here as I just came in from lunch.  

But when I say under a shirt... right now that is a very lite cotton shirt with a very lite cotton tee shirt under the harness.  I have carried the shirt to the tree and put it on over the harness after I was in the stand.  Hot is hot.  Humid will kill ya.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
SOP..sold em all for a year and didn't find then that the HSS had decent adjustments... I like my SOP cause it can expand or contract to fit amount of clothing under, etc.

When I sit, I tend to reach back on the SOP and slide the Prusic knot up till it's slight taught... then if I lean out, it pulls back, keeps me centered and when I shoot, I don't fear losing balance sitting. That way it also draws up any slack in the set up. I shoot sitting more'n standing anymore.

Either that...(uh-oh--trouble's comin) :)  or cut back on Ms. Kim's cookies so's the chest straps aren't tapering OUTWARD toward that belt line!  Eliminate some of the "slack" :knothead:  

(groan...I'm dead meat now...Deadyankee walkin)   :wavey:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
Loggy Bayou.   :thumbsup:
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
I've used the Hunters Safty System, and just bought a Loggy Bayou. I love the Loggy and will be using it from now on. Simple and easy to get into (even in the dark) and to climb and descend with. A climbing belt is included, but doubt I will be using it very much. Only to hang an occasional stand.
I'm buying another Loggy for my son tomorrow.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ejes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by kadbow:
I like the loggy bayou harness.  On the outside or underneath a layer.  It is easy to get in and out of too.
Same here, I like to wear it inside, but I've worn it out as well without getting tangled up.  It is a pretty minimal harness, but very secure.

Loggy Bayou Transformer Safety System

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
I'm a bit unconventional when it comes to harnesses, but I'm sure it's because I have operated rappelling towers for the Boy Scout summer camps. I use a climbing harness (  http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/rythm-harness.html  ), that has a rear attachment point. I like these because they don't encroach on my nether regions like a typical fall arrest system would. They are without a chest harness, and many people may feel less secure without this option (these straps won't be in your way though), but if you anchor correctly, you'll never "fall" out of a tree, but meerly swing out of your seat. I use an adjustable anchor (  http://www.yatesgear.com/rescue/image.htm?Adjustable%20Anchor%20Strap&anchors&442AdjAnchorBlackYellow.jpg  ), that allows me to use it as a lineman's belt for climbing and descending. When you get in your stand, run the strap around the tree, and then run the small anchor through the large, and buckle yourself to it via locking carabiner. Then all that is left, is to let out just enough line so that it is snug when you sit.
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©