3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling predator hunters  (Read 271 times)

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Calling predator hunters
« on: January 25, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
I have wanted to hunt coyotes and such for a long time, since here in western NC I can do it year round.  Yesterday I went out to one of my favorite small game spots.  In the past I have consistently seen and taken squirrels, grouse and rabbits here.  Yesterday, nothing!!  Not a trace.  No squirrels despite a banner mast crop, no grouse, and no rabbits.  A light skiff of snow the night before showed me three different sets of coyote tracks and a ton of scat, all in what would amount to probably 50 acres of forest and field.  

I know from seeing coyotes while deer hunting they have fantastic noses and you have to hunt the wind.  Calling is where I have questions.  What calls are most effective?  What is the best resource to learn how, starting from no knowledge at all?  What advice can you give on setups?

Help me Tradgang!!

Thanks guys,

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling predator hunters
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Rabbit disaster calling
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
i have hunted predators for a lot of years did all my calling with mouth call. But now that predator hunt is big business and everyone is doing it I have gone to and electronic call with 400 diffent sounds.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I think I'll stick with mouth calls, just to keep it simple.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
Mouth calling is tough with a bow.  You need to get them within bow range plus go through the motions of positioning and drawing all while the spot they are focused on is YOU!

I have called them into bow range but never gotten one with a bow.   with an electronic caller set up 25 yards in front of me, one came in and went straight to the call and was about to pounce when I missed.  :)

If your goal is to eliminate coyotes, give yourself every edge.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
PM Thumper Dunker. He is the king of coyote killing with a stickbow!

Bisch

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
Ecaller and a bow is a great setup. If you can use a diapragm call, they are great and are hands free.

Rabbit distress is standard sound, but there are tons of sounds that work. This time of year they are pairing up to mate, and pup distress works wonders. Its a simple sound that works year round, but right now thru spring and summer it's one of my favorites.I mix in a little howling with it, and that grabs thier attention for sure.

Overall though, this time of year is the toughest. All the easy ones have been called, and the ones that didnt get killed are wiser. September/October is best, with the young of the year with virgin ears eager to come to the call.

Predator Masters and You Tube are your friend in your learning process.

One of my California cats from this year(not with a bow)

006  by  Lonehowl , on Flickr

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
Thanks a lot guys.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
Thumper Dunker is the man. He's a coyote killing machine! Like Bisch said, pm him. He's a very helpful fella.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
I've had best success with a rabbit distress and fawn distress(when does are dropping babes) they even bring in bear, wolves, bobcats, lynx, and cougars.

I ground hunt, with good background, call in right hand, can drop the call and grab string with minimum movement. I have yet to take a cougar with longbow. I've had more than a few chances, but I think gravity/wind/humidity had a hand in the arrow going over their back, EVERYTIME, no way it could have been nerves.  ;)

Note: buddy uses recordings of his chickens, stuffed a couple, and uses them as decoys. He figured, if it works for waterfowl, why not...... It works.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
Thumper Dunker is the man to talk to...he'll pipe up! He's likely running an arrow through a predator as I type!!

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
I'm hoping Thumper will chime in.  The gang has already been great.  A have gotten a ton of info and I am collecting calls as we speak and getting ready to put them to use.  Thanks a lot guys.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
If your area is that populated with coyote I'd suggest getting a couple dozen snares. Continue to hunt with your bow but let the snares hunt while you're not. Remember....you can NEVER kill enough yotes.

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
I am all ears to this one.., I suckered a pup in right after sunset, sucking on my teeth for a lite squeak. I saw him at a distance and he doubled back on me. Thought I had a clear miss... Shooting a weird camber almost over my shoulder, trying not to spook him.  I realized I shot into fresh snow, didn't think I was getting the arrow back, didn't hear a yelp, dint think I missed  that bad, but the jump straight into the air as the arrow broke string had me convinced of a  complete miss.
Fat forward, went out this weekend, while waiting I went to wipe off the little bit of mud from that broad head.... As I look for the first swipe, six nice course hairs  stuck on the ferrel. Such an awesome feeling, to have been that close on such an odd shot. I am so excited about some predictor hunting.  

Is there a better brand of calls? Mouth calls seem like the way to go, going to have to find the time to master these. Can't say I will practice at home, cause my chickens have taught me that I have coyotes near by, and don't want them in my yard with my birds.
Shootz!

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Thumper Dunker is the dude on this site for predators!  They start to tremble when he moves out into the woods!

If you can't wait for him to show up, there is some information that can be filtered from the Predator Master forums and there are a few Trad Gangers that frequent that location...just sayin'....

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©