3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cat whiskers...  (Read 922 times)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cat whiskers...
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
When I used cat whiskers,I never messed with tying them in with serving material or floss  I just tied them on by folding a whisker in half the long way the bending it to a U shape lay it across the  string  then pull the two tag ends around the string and through the loop on the bottom of the U pull em tight and done a needle nose pliers,can help with this. the nice thing about this method is you can tighten them up by pulling on the whiskers. And if you want to slide them up or down to fine tune or just wax your string you can . If you check on youtube I'm sure there a lot I videos on how to it different ways. 3 rivers has there own DIY videos.
The nice thing about trad is once you learn how to do the few thing there are to,learn youll never have to walk into a unfavorable archery shop again.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
the difficult part is tying it....what knot do i tie?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline JDow3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
3rivers has beaver balls. I just bought a couple more for my new string and my daughters sage.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
You know, I have never had anyone call me a moron to my face...well, not seriously anyway. My wife calls me a damn yankee all the time...not the same though because she means it.  :)

If I was there, I would probably have done something stupid like showed him how to put on a set of cat whiskers.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
http://www.arrowskp.com/Kelly_s_Tips.html#setup-tuning

I do it the way Mr Fingers described above.

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
Cat whiskers should not slide on the string when you shoot. I make my own silencers. I buy one skein of Fisherman's Wool yarn at Michel's or Hobby Lobby for under $10, and have enough yarn to make silencers for several years!

Bisch

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
You know, I have never had anyone call me a moron to my face...well, not seriously anyway. My wife calls me a damn yankee all the time...not the same though because she means it.    :)  

If I was there, I would probably have done something stupid like showed him how to put on a set of cat whiskers.

BigJim
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet when someone is standing right in front of you, not many would have the guts to call you a moron!     :laughing:      :laughing:      :laughing:  

Bisch

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
This guy has no business in the business. When he made the comment about Jim, that did it for me. I don't know Jim personally, but I do know this, he took an hour of his time to help me over the phone, that's a lot more than this guy did. So instead of making 40$ an hour, he made nothing. Lesson learned, I should have listened to my gut and never went there.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by VA Elite:
yeh Im going to get some hush puppies, been looking at them, I like the idea.
Check out the recurve special on hush puppies and bow hush,  http://www.bowhush.com/
shoot straight shoot often

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 01:36:00 AM »
Personally VA, I wouldn't waste my time, much less my money in an archery pro-shop with trad gear. It's like a modern day auto technician working on a stage coach. They don't get it...and they don't want to. Look for places that cater to trad shooters. 3 Rivers, Big Jims and quite a few others. And many things you can learn for yourself, with the help of all us opinionated folks of course.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
I think you are right, Im just going to go to them for cutting arrows, I dont have a saw. yet. But i think your are right, it's discrimination at it's best.

Online chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
While your cat whiskers are moving around a bit, use this opportunity to find out where they are most effective.  Silencers need to be in the right place.  Once you've found the right spot whatever you use will be pretty effective.  

Going in to a wheelie bow shop and asking if they have any Beaver Balls is always fun.  The conversation might go something like this...

"Do you guys have any Beaver Balls?"

"No Sir, but Ma fries 'em up real good down at the restaurant."

"Oh... cool!  How many do I have to eat to get a free t-shirt?"
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by A.S.:
Landon, I will be glad to help you out at the next Dixie shoot. I can bring some whisker material if you still need it, and tie it on for you.

I like Docs payment idea!
I would take this guy up on this if I were you!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
I have hush puppies and like them a lot. They are very effective,and they come with good instructions.

The link below is to another sponsor on Trad Gang. It is to Two Tracks bow company. These are his string scallops,and I have installed and used these with good results. They are as easy to put in as any I have used and also very effective.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
VA, as far as cutting arrows goes, for about $25 you can buy a cut-off saw from Harbor Freight. You can find them on the auction site as well. Great little saw's with many uses.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
Ok cool, Im thinking that the vast majority of things that need to be done will have to be done on my own. No better way to learn i guess. I will be getting much needed help at my next shoot.

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
Va I learned From you tube.  If you google it or search on you tube there is a great tutorial on it.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
go to the Hawaii forum on here- and check out S2 bowstrings, he has some awesome tutorials on his home page
good luck!

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
Hey Va Here you go

I think this works the best because you can tune your bow (still move them up and down to find that sweet spot)after they are tied this way but they stay put.  It took a couple of time tying them on to get them solid like everything practice makes perfect.  Good luck man and keep shooting!

Matt
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©