3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Reaping the harvest (Another Recipe Added)  (Read 625 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Reaping the harvest (Another Recipe Added)
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
I shot a young deer the last weekend of our season and aged it a few days outside then another few in the fridge. Spent this weekend processing and making some BBQ and some jerky. A crockpot is a roasts best friend. Man the taste is excellent. I have taken a few young deer in the past and have had similar results in the kitchen. I am afraid I am never going to let the youngsters walk again.

Shreaded and ready to serve!

I like mine with some BBQ mixed with it.

And my daughter always wants some jerky. Its fantastic also. Used steak sauce a little honey a few splashes of liquid smoke and hot sauce in this batch as well as all my spices.

Had a friend ask me to bring him some this week. That got me to thinking of how much work we put into this. There are countless hours and effort in just killing the deer then many more hours of processing and cleanup at home. I will share some with him but I feel bad even having those thoughts. Haha.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reaping the harvest (Another Recipe Added)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
you got to killum before ya grillum !  You just spead the gospel brother. Those young deer are lip smacking good.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
Looks awesome!  But... it's bad enough that we have to deal with the jealousy of you killing at the end of an already good season... now we have to watch you eat it in front of us too!      :smileystooges:  

JK of course... congrats again and enjoy!!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
Hahahaha, you're right Tim. I have crossed the line haven't I?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Looks good man!  I am picky about who shares our venison.  Like you said, it takes a lot of time and effort to fill the freezer each year.  I don't often just give it away.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
That looks great TJ!

Give me a few minutes and I will have a pic to add to this thread!

Bisch

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
After killing and eating 100s of deer in the last 35 years,I have never cooked a deer roast in the Crock.Well change is a coming!That looks great TJ,thanks for taking time to post.   :campfire:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Lets see it Bisch!

Danny if you would like I will let you know my process. I have it worked out pretty well now.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
A deer roast in the crock pot with a cup of water and a pack of dry Italian dressing, and dry Onion soup and it is the best, just had some tonight. It's better than Italian beef.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline JDow3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Congrats on the yunggin. They do eat mighty fine.

I have to concur on the crock pot. Every year when my in laws come over for Christmas, I do a deer roast with celery, carrots and potatoes with soy sauce and some other goodies. They love it. We chow then go to church Christmas Eve service. It's been a wonderful little tradition for us the last several years.

I told my father in law I was going full trad archery next year and he said that sounded great provided I get a deer in the freezer before Christmas Eve. Lol. Maybe some extra pressure will do me some good.

Offline Whitetailarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
TJ you need to post the recipe for that roast - looks great - Congrats!

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
Looks great TJ.  We cook our roast with brown gravey, mashed potatoes and put it on yeast rolls.  It's very rewarding to me to feed my family something I went out and harvested, and processed myself.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
Looks awesome!  I get some ribbing for young deer taken, but I get the last laugh in the kitchen!  They are awesome!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
Here you are guys,

Like I say a few days hanging if possible. Then I take the roasts off the back legs and put them in gallon sized zip lock bags and into the fridge for about three days. I don't marinade the meat at all but everyday I do pour the blood out of the bags and wash off the meat quickly and put it back in bags and fridge.

On cook day I cut all the silver skin off the meat and out from in between the muscle sections.

I then salt and pepper the meat and put some oil in a skillet and brown the meat on all sides quickly. Probably in skillet about 6 minutes. I put two or three beef or vegetable bouillon cubes in the crock pot and fill half way with real orange juice (just make sure all meat is covered with juice). Add one can of tomato paste, some apple vinegar, liquid smoke, worcheshire and add your spices. I use onion powder, garlic powder more salt and pepper. I turn pot on high for an hour then turn down to low for the remaining 9 hours.

Pull it out and shred it up. I then put in the fridge. When I want to eat some I put some meat in the microwave to warm it for a minute. Pull it out and add favorite BBQ sauce and mix in well.  Butter and toast some buns in a skillet, flop on some meat and eat hot. Unbelievable good.
www.zipperbows.com

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Well, here is what we just had for supper.

Grilled backstrap (medium rare) with Chimichurri Sauce, Garlic mashed potatoes, and fresh green beans.

This was a first try of the sauce and it is absolutely AWESOME!!!!!

Bisch

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
What TJ is not telling you guys is that roast and few pieces of jerky is the WHOLE deer!    :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:    You know I can not quit razzing you just yet ole' buddy
Bill

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
Yup on the crock pot. Every year I gave my buddy one or two neck roasts and he took them up to his camp over Thanksgiving weekend. A few years back he already had a couple so I kept them. My wife cooked them in the crock pot and they were absolutely delicious. She told me "don't ever give those away again"!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
A young deer in late season is a fine thing, indeed.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
WOW Bisch, that looks really good. Too bad I live in Maryland and you live in Texas(LOL). Because if I lived in Texas, for a meal like that I would certainly try and invite myself over for dinner(LOL). You and TJ are making our mouths watering by posting pics of those fine meals. Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Thanks TJ,sound like you have fine tuned your process.Would not have thought orange juice.

Bisch that's a darn nice plate of fixens you got there.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©