3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Performance vs sound level  (Read 176 times)

Offline Pivo

• Trad Bowhunter
Performance vs sound level
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Disclaimer:There is a thread above that I did not want to hijack but did inspire this question

The mechanics of longbows are probably no secret to many of today's bowyers. If you compared noise levels of the bows that most people say that are the quietest they ever have shot and then compared the "speed thread" that asked which is the fastest longbow they have shot, how many would match up?

Can it be possible to squeeze the ultimate performance from a longbow without noise increasing noise from the D shaped bows that people tout as "mouse fart" quiet?

I think that it is easier to make a relatively slower D shaped bow quieter than the faster r/d bow just because it stores less energy.

Just my $.02

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Performance vs sound level
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
Yup.... you can have both your cake and eat it too. If enough time is taken during the tiller process to balance the limbs out so they both bend exactly the same to the pressure point applied to the grip & it has enough preload at brace to stop the mass weight of the limbs dead.....

It's easier said than done, but it can be accomplished..... This may sound strange, but as your draw weight on these type bows decrease under 50#'s the exact arrow weight you use has a bigger role in determining noise & performance levels.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Performance vs sound level
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
To me speed and quiet are mostly about the string given a well made bow...I have fast recurves that are as quiet as any longbow I have heard or shot

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©