3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: High noon stalk......  (Read 567 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
High noon stalk......
« on: January 25, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
Got to go spend a few days at a friend's place and hunt some exotics and hogs ( all free range ) with my Hill bow and back quiver full of wood arrows. We drove up Friday and it was snowing when we got there and that is something that does not happen very often in the Texas hill country. Soon as we got settled in the cabin we headed out for some scouting and very quickly saw some some axis and a big group of Aoudad. We ended up sitting in stands that evening and had Aoudad and hogs walk past but no shots but was a good time in the woods. The rest of the trip I spent stalking the several thousand acres I would be willing to bet I walked 25 plus miles in the few days we hunted. We all slept in that next morning ( the hard core hunters we are ) then had a big late breakfast for lunch. After filling up my belly I put the boot leather down and went exploring parts of the ranch that were new to me and ended up seeing some hogs but could never get a shot. The snow didn't last but a few hours and all melted away so with the rain and cool temps we hunted in the mud the entire time so the ground was nice and quiet for stalking. Also had a good north northwest wind the entire time and the sun broke out on the second day and never left. Four of us were hunting and between us we saw sika , fallow , axis , hogs , aoudad , turkey , whitetail and lots rabbits and squirrel. So far we were doing good with seeing game just no arrows in the air yet.....
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: High noon stalk......
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
I bet that is about to change.  Keep it coming, Charlie.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
Sounds like a good time, good luck!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
Go get em sam I am sure there will be something on the meatpole soon!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
The only pics I got of the snow was out of the truck window it had just about all melted by the time we had our gear unpacked. My buddy put down a big boar with his open sight lever gun ( hand injury and could not pull his recurve ) nice big spotted one with big cutters. We had to come home today so I was up before daylight with a plan for a long hike into some new ground , everyone else slept in again but I told them about my planned route so they could pick me up after lunch time. I left the cabin on foot and started my hunt at daylight , the ground was covered in frost but I was feeling good in my wool plaid shirt. I hiked up into the cliffs in hopes of running into an aoudad or a hog or well any thing legal for that matter. And as luck would have it I had several whitetail stroll within easy bow shot and one was a nice buck and whitetail season ended last week. After getting out of the cliffs and down on somewhat leveler ground at about 9am I was sitting down figuring out my next move when I looked up about 75yds out was a bit of brown that was moving my way. I went into hunter mode with my plaid shirt and no camo and back quiver just about in the wide open with bright sunshine but I did have one nice bush to hide behind. Before I knew it I made it to 22yds and had the critter quartered away when I hit full draw but it was a spike sika buck and I never dropped the string so he could do some more growing up.....
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »

The snow out the truck window

Big rough country
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 01:09:00 AM »
This ranch is located in some pretty rough country choked with thick draws a few small creeks and one river. And is loaded with game and I am one lucky fellow to have the friends I do and to have the opportunity to hunt on the places I do and with the guys I hunt with it just don't get any better. So now's it's getting on about 10am so I head down into a creek bed and stalk along and smooth miss a giant squirrel two times in a row ( stupid squirrel ). I stalk the low lands for a few hours an  see some deer and you can't walk more than a dozen steps and not see hog sign , looped back to about half a mile for where I stalked the young sika and sat down for a break. While sitting and thinking about how much I am getting into the Howard Hill bows , back quivers , wood arrows and not been using any camo for last month , has been the most fun I have had hunting with a bow in many many years. I sat looking up a long draw at high noon warming up in the bright Sun shine and about 400yds up at the head out comes about 15 hogs out of the thick brush into the open and start rooting the soft ground. Off to have fun I go , I got on the high left side in the trees and made for them , the wind was strong and was blowing up the hill in a good cross wind on em. I got above them and slid down and then back up and they were still there but starting to move away and I was out in the open and was going to get no closer. One offered me a shot at just over 30yds or so so I sent a cedar arrow off and it hit low in the chest , the hog hit the ground spinning and squealing then it was up and running. I had another arrow on the string and hit it again at about 60yds on the run , that shot hit through the hams but that is ok with me ( once I hit an animal I will send arrows until I know it's down ).
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 01:13:00 AM »
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 01:28:00 AM »
Turns out the first arrow would have been enough it looked like it had hit lower than it did but was indeed a good shot. When in doubt I will shoot arrows as a insurance policy to put an animal down quickly. And even with two arrows she made it about 100yds before going down , she was a old long and lean sow. I guess I'm hung up on these Hill bows and wood arrows but I need new arrows cause I'm going through the ones I have fast. It was a great hunt with some of my best friends can't ask for no more than that.....Would have never thought I would have stalked hogs at High Noon.....
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 01:34:00 AM »
This pic shows the a better view of the land we are hunting...

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 01:59:00 AM »
Sam...you are a killin machine!! Congrats again brother!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 04:48:00 AM »
Well done Sam.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 05:02:00 AM »
congrats awesome shot

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 05:07:00 AM »
See I told ya ...something on the meatpole AGAIN!!!  :clapper:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:Your on a roll way to get it done man!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 06:05:00 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!!!   :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 06:41:00 AM »
Nice Hog...thanks for sharing the hunt.....   :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
Went hunting in Texas a few years back, a little South and east of the hill country, I think it has some of the best stalking bush I have ever hunted in. In broad daylight I  was able to stalk up to within 5-7 yds of a nice  whitetail buck, only problem was not being too familiar with the area and colors of things,I thought he was a rock    :banghead:   , but that is some beautiful country to hunt in.

Good story and excellent shooting !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
Good shootin, Sam!   :thumbsup:

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »