3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: got my new pup  (Read 490 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
got my new pup
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
my new pup , a  SWD/Teckel arrived!!

what an amazing pup, whip smart- and tons of energy- and when we take him on a walk- he is "hunting" the entire time. he has an incredible prey drive.
he is now 14 weeks old, and has done a bunch of trailing with the breeder- and we will be starting in the next few days.

the breeders were the most incredible people to deal with- patient, accommodating and kind- we have been talking for months and months now- waiting for the litter, and finally trying to choose the best dog for us. they are both bow hunters too- so that helps them understand the end result. their dogs are placed all over the continent in top working environments. and it seem that most of their sires and dams are imported from Europe, from top working lines.
i have had lots of working dogs in my past, but these guys were by far the most knowledgeable, courteous and patient people i have met- and there is a line up for their pups!

happy days ahead

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: got my new pup
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
What a cutie .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 02:12:00 AM »
Saskatchewan Water Dog/??...

Gonna go ahead and admit to ignorance, and curiosity up front,  tryna place the little guy, and it's not happening..  What is the K9 unit in question?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:07:00 AM »
Awesome, Wayne..

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:10:00 AM »
Good looking Pup!

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
Funny face....

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
What kind of hunting can this pup be used for?
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
Nice pup,I,ve heard some incredible stories about the Teckels trailing abilities.Congrats and good luck with the training.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
"Saskatchewan Water Dog"....   :)  

Yeah, I know what a Teckel is but what is a SWD?

Offline SquareHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
Spanish Water Dog, I believe...

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Good looking pup  ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
I think Teckel is the Teckelnical name for a Weinerdog/Dachshund.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
sorry guys,       :D       few seem to know the Teckel name, they are more commonly known on this forum as Standard Wire haired Dachshund ( SWD). although this one is a smooth hair.

they are about a #20 to #25 when fully grown. so about twice the size of the miniature dachshunds.
part of their job description is very specifically tracking. and they make some of the best deer /bear trailing dogs!( other breeds  too - of course)
that monster schnozz that close to the ground can only be a good thing       :biglaugh:    

"[German : Dachs, badger (from Middle High German dahs, from Old High German; see teks- in Indo-European roots) + Hund, dog (from Middle High German hunt, from Old High German; see kwon- in Indo-European roots).]"

any dog that will crawl down a hole- and takes on a badger on his turf- gets my respect!

i specifically wanted a small dog, that i could take with me when hunting. unobtrusive and quiet, and can sit quietly out of the way when i am still/ground hunting, and then not having to go all the way home to fetch him.

here he is lying with my kelpie- and he is quite a big kelpie too- since we left the ranch, and he doesnt get to work cattle anymore he get allowed indoors for days now.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
From my understanding Teckel and Dachshunds are not exactly the same... Although classified as the same breed, they've kept generations upon generations of the Teckel bloodline bred to hunt/track (and are wirehairs) different from the common Dachshund, whereas their bloodlines were bred for pet or show quality...

Being a dog breeder myself, I understand it's all about bloodlines, and no offense to miniature Dachshund owners, but have owned dozens of dogs of different breeds, and I once owner a registered miniature Dachshund and was the dumbest dog I ever owned...

As said, its all about the bloodlines, and they've line bred some of those common Dachshunds to the point of stupidity...

Maybe Ryan Rothhaar may chime in here about the Teckel bloodline...

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
i absolutely agree on all points Zbone.
technically they do seem to be different breeds- the min. daxies are not in this class- my inlaws have had the little guys all their lives- and this pup is already streets ahead- two different breeds - i concur!
i made sure when i was buying, that the pup was from traceable working blood lines.
 i checked out other working dogs from previous litters, spoke to owners etc etc.

what dogs do you breed?

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
Used to breed beagles years ago, had a litter of Blue Healers (cattledogs) once, but my past 10 litters have been (don't laugh...   :) )  lapdogs (Yorkie mixes)...

Haven't had a litter in a year, but may breed my yorkie-poo female again her next cycle...

Believe me, they're not very good trackers though...   :)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
where can one get one of these dogs?  I don't know of anyone around here that breeds them.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
Yup daniel they are few and far between- the teckel breeders that produce good working dogs.
i eventually only had about 3 breeders in the us and 1 in E. canada.
 i dont know if we can promote non sponsor  products on here- so will pm you.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
I am on the list for a John Jeanneney bred wirehair. Anticipating if I will get a female.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Whaaahhhh!  Lots of confusion about Teckels....cute pup, by the way.

"Teckel" is simply another German or European term for dachshund - which is German for "badger dog".  Call 'em weiner dogs if you want, but please don't call em "Doxies"...

Specifically, I think amongst the hunting community in the US "Teckel" has more come to signify dachshunds bred for hunting traits.  In Europe that USED to be one and the same - they were bred for hunting and that is what they were used for.  Just like other breeds, though, now a large percentage even in Europe are not hunting dogs anymore....think Labs in the US - some still hunt, but most do not.  Just like any other hunting breed there is a hunting registry - DTK - "Duetsche Teckel Klub" for instance in Germany - but again just like any other hunting breed some folks focus more on field trialling than hunting.

There are 3 coat types - smooth, wire, and long.  Smooth were the original dachshund, wire and longhaired coats were developed later.  There are 3 sizes - standard, "rabbit", and mini.  Generally the "hunting type" are standard sized - that is around 16lbs for females, 20lb for males, but other sizes can certainly hunt.

Mostly people in the US have only heard of wire dogs, because the Jeanneanys in the Northeast that were some of the first in the US to import dogs have used wires and that is where most of the info came from.  Coat type has nothing to do with the ability to hunt - it is all in dog's bloodlines.

Wire dogs can come in a variety of coats - true wire, wooly, smooth etc.  I think the "requirement" for a wire dog is the "mustache" hair on the face (I'm not 100% sure on that one, though).   Your pup looks like a "smooth wire" to me if it came out of wire-haired parents.

Wire dogs are typically "wild boar" coat color - again there can be variations.  Other "normal" colors for smooth and longhaired dogs are black and tan, brown and tan, and brown fading to beige.  More recently some folks are breeding for color (ie white/piebald etc).  Purists don't want color, and in some organizations you cannot breed with a dog with too much white on it.

Teckels are mostly used in the US for blood tracking, but I know of folks that hunt coons, retrieve ducks, and of course hunt underground (mainly bolt foxes or hunt groundhogs here in the US) with them.  And if given a chance they may reduce the number of neighbor's cats in the area    :)  

Finally, have fun with your new addition to the family - weiner dogs have so much personality and have a tendency to be freakin' smart (we think moreso than the owners, around our house!).  you have a 200 lb dog attitude in a 20 lb package.  Look into Shaun Webb's posts, I recall his little sweet "Graetsche" jumped on a wounded pig in Texas, and our Oskar likes nothing better than to get ahold of a wounded deer while it is still kicking.

R

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©