3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to the site wondering if someone could give me a little advice  (Read 457 times)

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
Hello all. First off I would like to say I love the forum so far. I've been cruising all the posts and am blown away. The Hawaii topic was a real eye opener for sure!! You guys have some serious skill and have taken some beautiful animals just the way I like to see it done... On that note let me introduce myself, my name is Julian I'm from Alabama. I've been shooting traditional off and on since I got my first long bow when I was 12. I have yet to take any big game though many a coon and cane cutter has fallen to a cedar shaft!!  I've got a Bear glass powered Grizzly at 56" and 50 pounds that I would like to setup. Currently I use it to bowfish but I want to take a hog and hopefully a gobbler this spring. I will be ordering a new string and silencers as well as arrows. I've been shooting Zwicky Eskimos think I'm going to stick with them. I normally use 3rivers to order all my traditional stuff ( no local shop) any advice on string length, style and brand as well as arrow size spine etc.  would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I want to get good dependable equipment.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28
Eskimo broad heads on both

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to the site wondering if someone could give me a little advice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
Welcome to the Trad Gang. 3 Rivers is an great source, they have a spine calculator on there web-site, amd I think you could call for advice/info. A good sharp Eskimo will do the trick. Again Welcome....KY  :archer:

Offline SquareHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
Welcome!  In addition to 3 Rivers, which I also use, there are quite a few other smaller independent vendors, that you may also want to consider.  Especially when it comes to wood arrows, strings, etc.

At the top of the page is a place where you can see the list of vendors that are sponsors for Trad Gang.

Good luck!

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Welcome Julian, your right a bunch of very dedicated bowhunters on this site. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we dont, everyone has their opinion. One thing no one will argue
With is the amount of talented craftsmen on this site. Check the Sponsors Classifieds, there are several Custom String builders there any one of them can fix you up with exactly what you need.
  As far as arrows, I'd start out with carbon. They are tough and you can get them pretty close Spined. Check out Big Jims
Bowhunting, also a sponsor here, he sometimes sell carbon seconds at a great price, good guy to deal with also. You didn't
Say how long your draw is, this will sometimes affect the correct arrow spine if it's overly long, again just talk to our sponsors they will make sure you get what you need.
  And don't forget about Three Rivers, even though they are a large distributor, they are not so big you can't call them for advice, again good folks as well, as you say you have ordered from them before.
  Good luck, you will enjoy the Traditional side of Archery, not the easiest, or the fastest to learn, won't shoot the highest scores or the farthest , but unmatched for sheer self satisfaction and enjoyment.
RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Welcome!

There is no one way to answer all of these, as there are many different options.

For string length - you will need a string with an ASL (actual string length) of 52" for your 56" bow. But be careful - a lot of times when you order a string, you will order it based off the bows AMO length (which in your case would be 56"). Just be sure to know which one the string is going by before you order it.

As for what type/brand, that depends also. Is your bow an old Grayling bow, or a newer bow from Gainesville? If it's an older bow, make sure to get a string made from something other than fastflight - B-50 is a great choice, but if you called Big Jim's Bow Company or one of our smaller sponsors like Ten Ring Bow Strings or Silent But Deadly strings, they could easily steer you in the correct direction.

There is also a never ending selection of arrows, and I agree with RW in that a carbon arrow is probably the best to get you started. A great arrow for relatively cheap is the Gold Tip Traditional arrow, and you can also buy cosmetically blemished arrows from Big Jim for much cheaper than a normal arrow would cost you - but you get the same performance and honestly can't even tell that they have any blemishes.

You will need to determine your draw length before you can determine the length of arrow you would need though. This will also affect the spine you would need, so consult a spine chart for the arrow you're interested in before buying (or ask someone knowledgeable with whatever company you're ordering from).

You can always post a question in the PowWow with specific info and someone can usually send you in the right direction! Also, at the top of the page there is a drop down menu with all of our sponsors, those will take you directly to their websites.

Alex
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
If you have a current working string on the bow, you're way ahead of the game. If you have it set at the brace height you want, take it off and measure it for total length without letting it untwist.

There are many sponsors on here who can supply you with a string. All most of them need to know is recurve or longbow, weight of draw at your draw length and actual length of the string. You can give them all of that.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
Welcome! Lots of info here! Can't go wrong with 3rivers
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
MY advice ( worth what you pay for it    ;)  ) is to find a Rod Jenkins clinic and attend. No matter what your skill or experience level it will do you good.   The clinic will put you way ahead of the game and you'll avoid many mistakes and bad habits. Two days of hands on learning will accelerate your shooting abilities immensely.  

JMHO
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
I would definitely get in touch with one of the custom string makers on this site before order.  I started making my own strings long ago out of frustration with off the shelf strings!  If I had known of a custom string maker (or that they even existed), I'd a been much happier dealing with them.

Far as arras go, you are shooting cedar now, so why step down
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
Welcome.  Incredible amounts of knowledge without judgement here.  Good advice so far.  The button at the top of the page can led you to older posts on subjects you might have a question about as well.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
Welcome. Check with Bigjim or Allen at ten ring strings.theyll get you setup and fast.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
Welcome Julian. Some great advice has been given.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
For string length - you will need a string with an ASL (actual string length) of 52" for your 56" bow. But be careful - a lot of times when you order a string, you will order it based off the bows AMO length (which in your case would be 56"). Just be sure to know which one the string is going by before you order it.  
AMO standard is 3" longer than actual string length.  An unstretched string might appear to be shorter, but commercially produced strings should be measured under tension and the 3" figure should apply.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
Check out the 'Nocking Point". They are a TG sponsor. I have found that the "Nocking Point's" prices and shipping charges are less than 3Rivers and you can't beat the service. As for the string, buy a custom string off this site. They will serve you well and they will make sure you get what you need. Phone contact is a definite plus. Determine if your bow was built to accept fast-flite string or B-50 before ordering. Good luck and welcome. Enjoy the journey.   :campfire:

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
Hey Julian from Alabama.  I'm Julian from South Carolina.  You're probably an alright guy. Hang around a while...it'll pay off.

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
Welcome - fellow Alabamian.
I'd offer this - GO TO TANNEHILL to the pre spring arrow fling - about 1 hour west of Birmingham.  if you are within a couple hours drive.  TONS of vendors and all the nice folks are here - lots of 'em at least, are there in person and you can likely link up with more than oone person to offer help with equipment etc.  Be warned though - two things 1. be ready to enjoy yourself and 2. be ready to be HOOKED and need/want your pocket book - lots of nice equipment there to drool over.  what part of bama ?  I'm in Rogersville up near shoals area. ([email protected])
mg
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I measured the actual strength length and got 53? I'm gonna use one of the vendors on here for my string hopefully they can get me setup. I'm from around Mobile. I've been to the 3D shoot at Tannehill it's a blast for sure. I've got three traditional bows and I've been shooting for years just meet set one up all my arrows and bows were already setup for me ( a gift from my uncle). Thanks for all the advice guys. Hopefully one of these vendors on here can get me going I'm gonna call someone today.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28
Eskimo broad heads on both

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear. They will take the time to get you exactly what you need.

Welcome and enjoy the sport and the gang.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
If you ever come up North give me a holler.  I'm real close to Red Bay.

Chad

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »
Hi Julian and Welcome!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©