3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow fishing rig  (Read 683 times)

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow fishing rig
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Okay fellow TG members!

Looking for some advice.  Instead of just adding a bow fishing reel with a strap on adaptor to one of my nice recurves or longbows, I am thinking of buying/building a bow "dedicated" to bow fishing.

Requirements:

- 50 lbs @ 28" (or higher)
- front stabilizer insert (for bow fishing reel) - or - quiver inserts for same
- set up with plunger hole for a bow fishing specific rest.

Would like to spend less than  $ 300 for bow (have AMS Retriever Pro Reel already) not including rest, etc.

Any suggestions?   :help:
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow fishing rig
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Hoyt dorado riser and slap some ilf limbs on it after swaping out the limb bushings.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline attack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
Bear Black Bear riser with Samick Sage Limbs... Under $150 and shoots pretty sweet too.

CheckMate Firebird 56" 57#@28
CheckMate Falcon Special 60" 52#@28
Shakespeare Supe Necedah 54" 45#@28
Bear Blackbear riser 40# Sage limbs

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
Cartel riser and Samick Sage limbs. Risers $40 and the Sage limbs run about $70.

bretto

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
I'd go with a Samick Sage. I do love my Dorado for bowfishing but it's a little over the $300 mark. My go to bowfishing rig is an old 80's Bear Hunter TD that I got off the classifieds here with 2 sets of limbs for like $125 or so...can't remember now.  I shoot my rigs off the shelf. AMS reel is the way to go!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Look out for a warfed Black Bear riser and TT Black Max limbs. Meets all of your specs.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
My fishing bow is a mid 70's Bear Grizzly with the dyed wood.  Drilled it and installed inserts for the AMS reel.  Doesn't need a fancy rest, just shoot it off the shelf.  You should be able to find similar for well under your $300.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
I just bought a PSE Kingfisher last year. Metal riser + camo dipped = the perfect thing for chunking around in the boat. Only costs about $130 new!

Put my Retriever reel and homemade arrow holder on it and it works great!

Bisch

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 02:04:00 AM »
Ive used a pse kingfisher for 3 years with an ams pro reel. the limb has since twisted and I will be using a sage this year. if you've never bowfished before don't spend much money on your bow. it will get dinged up,stepped on, covered in slime, dropped, thrown around in boat/bed of truck, and at some point becomes an anchor you have to swim down and retrieve. your not doing it right if most of the above doesn't happen haha
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
I use the same bow I shoot at everything else!!!  Black widows kill fish dead!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
I had the PSE Kingfisher and couldn't stand it!  Sorry Bisch    :bigsmyl:  weighed like lead and vibrated terrible after the shot and mine came with twisted limbs, so I didnt have to wait 3 years to get that bonus    :biglaugh:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
I bought a wing slim line pro for $50, then put quiver inserts in myself.  I definitely have less than $100 dollars into the bow. Shoot off of the shelf with beaverskin rest.  Not sure if you could drill it for a plunger rest, so I guess that doesn't fit the bill.  Look into the rig the Bisch got.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
I use a Samick Journey, but the Cartel riser would be cheaper and more durable in water (especially salt) if the grip works for you.

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 06:27:00 AM »
Thanks, TG members!  Have considered "building my own".

The Cartel riser with Samick limbs looks like a viable option.
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
The PSE kingfisher is quite a terrible bow.but works great for snap shooting fish! I plan to paint my sage for a little added water protection this year
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
Bob, I'd go with about 35#s.  Ever sink an arrow in a submerged stump with 50# limbs?  Not good.  Not that I think you will miss any shots, but just saying     :biglaugh:  

Also as an added benefit, at that poundage even the wife can get in on the action.  We shoot redfish with 35#s and you certainly don't need any more than 40#s
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
I use a bear Kodiak Magnum.  It is great for bow fishing.  you can find the form under $200 pretty easily.  I am VERY pleased with mine!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
awbowman     X2     :readit:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
I would go with an older Bear. I bought a K-Mag from the tradgang classifieds a couple years ago for 85.00. It was drilled and had inserts for my AMS. Very happy with it. Check the local Pawn Shops also.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
To each their own....BUT, personally, I wouldn't own a PSE Kingfisher. The local sporting goods store had one on the rack last time I was in there. I was curious so I picked it up just to give it a look see. To me, it looked and felt horrible. For the money, I would DEFINITELY go with a Samick Sage...they are pretty nice bows which can also double as a hunting/target/backup bow.

I also wouldn't go with a bow less than 45#...my rig is 50# and I used to use 57#, which dang sure got the job done but it was a bit much on my shoulder for shooting all day long. Lighter weight is fine when the fish are right under neath you. But around here, those big carp and buffalo like to hang out about 20 yards from the bank in fairly deep water. I like to have a bow in my hand with enough umpf to sling those big fiberglass arrows that far and still penetrate the fish if I do my part. And I also think of it as good practice for larger game using a hunting weight bow all spring and summer on fish...builds those muscles up.

Just my opinions.

Edit: I meant to comment on the thing about 35#'s and bringing the wife along. My wife is my bowfishing partner...actually she pesters the hell out of me daily to go bowfishing...so she's also my motivator lol. She's about 105 soaking wet and shoots my 45# Hoyt Dorado. Granted, she only draws about 24.5-25 inches but still...if she shot a 35@28 bow with her draw length I don't know that the arrow could make it through the water to a fish, let alone penetrate to the barbs to GET the fish.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©