3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Low vs high wrist  (Read 513 times)

Offline Steiger3208

• Trad Bowhunter
Low vs high wrist
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
What are your opinions on low wrist vs high wrist recurve? I've been shooting longbow for 20 yrs. and have only shot a recurve bow about 5 shots total. I feel a need for a recurve in the near future. Thanks,   Wes

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Low vs high wrist
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »
I like a medium palm and small to medium throat with a thumb rest in both my longbows and my recurves. For me I find it helps stabilize the shot. Also you can locate the same grip shot after shot.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
Its personal preference , I used to like high wrist but the past few years I prefer low . Its only because with high , there is to much pressure on the web of my hand and it gets to aching me . I have lost an inch of my draw length that way but it is easier to find arrows now .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
If the grips fits my hand, I could shoot tighter groups with my target bows with a high wrist.  However, I found that high wrist bows felt very unnatural with my hunting bows.  One of my metal Bear takedowns came with the high wrist, I found it clumsy when getting on target and distracting when just holding the bow when not shooting, which is quite often in a deer hunting situation. I changed it to the low wrist and liked it so much that I bought a second metal Bear takedown. One word of caution with this liking low wrist bows, you will be only hunting with straight gripped Hills in no time.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
I have shot just about any way you can think of both right handed and left handed and the only thing I can say with certainty is I have no idea what I prefer...I just pick a few bows I am likely going to hunt with a couple of months before hunting season and then focus on figuring out how I am going to shoot them...by the time I figure out what I like I will probably be too old to draw a bow

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
Take a look at the bows that I currently own and if you can figure out a pattern please let me know...other than the Grayling Bears which is more of a collecting thing I have no idea why I own the bows that I do...and I have probably sold or trade away that many or more...I lost track long ago...even personal preference can be hard to explain and it changes over time for me

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 04:32:00 AM »
Forget personal preference and ask to you hand what she like......if you listen very well,you can ear ,medium, because it's the more natural position for the hand.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
With a medium to low wrist grip, I get better bone on bone contact and can shoot longer without fatiguing some muscles.

I can shoot both relatively well but feel like I shoot a mid to low wrist better.

Its a preference thing, hopefully you figure out what you like.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
Medium for me
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Doeslayer_67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
I shoot a medium grip with a slight index where my life line of my palm is. it seems to put the pressure on the 2 small bones of  your lower arm instead of your wrist. for me at least

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
I like mine low.......I can go from recurve to longbow without even thinking about it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
The advantage of a medium wrist angle over a high wrist is that you can shoot heavier draw weights much longer without extending your wrist.

With a high wrist most of the pressure is applied to the web in your hand. This method can be very accurate with target weight bows, but your wrist gets tired with heavier weights and you begin to collapse your wrist as you get tired and your pressure point on the grip shifts lower....This will cause inconsistency.

I prefer a medium grip with a nice flat spot for my thumb pad to settle into the same every time.

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
High. Asbell like.  Low wrist feels so awkward to me. I try it sometimes. Like to reduce draw length when shooting a self bow.
Tedd

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
I can shoot any style but prefer low to medium.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
Ok I'll be the oddball here I perfer a high wrist not so much in grip of the bow but for some reason no matter the shape of the bows grip when I shoot high wrist my groups,tighten up. I ve tried low,wrist,but I tend to use to much Palm which turns the bow to the left.
As far as feeling more natural. They say your bow  hand should be relaxed to avoid torque. Well hold your bow arm out like you holding your bow and relax your hand I mean let it go limp I'll bet it drops into natural high wrist position.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
Here's one for you to try Mr. Fingers...........

Hold your bow arm out and relax your fingers, now reach out with your other hand and put 3 fingers on your thumb pad and apply pressure keeping your fingers and wrist relaxed.... your wrist will rotate back to the point where its solid.... You'll find you can hold much more draw weight comfortably with the wrist in that position and still have your fingers completely relaxed.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
Here's one for you to try Mr. Fingers...........

Hold your bow arm out and relax your fingers, now reach out with your other hand and put 3 fingers on your thumb pad and apply pressure keeping your fingers and wrist relaxed.... your wrist will rotate back to the point where its solid.... You'll find you can hold much more draw weight comfortably with the wrist in that position and still have your fingers completely relaxed.
That's cool Kirk I may putzs around with that. Problem I have either my bow grips are  too fat or I tend to put too much heel into it and my bow handle naturally turns to the left. I could shoot my Hoyt Protec compound low wrist with the pressure point right where you suggest but that bow has a thin grip.  I'll tinker with it.
Tim.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »
I want as high wrist grip as you can buy/make , my schafers are great but wish they were higher wrist than they are .NO bow I have ever shot is as high as I would like it to be .
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
If you have shoulder problems, I'd stay away from a high wrist !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
Of what I have tried I seem to prefer higher.
SWA Spyder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©