3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening on a Belt Sander Video  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening on a Belt Sander Video
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Terry if you figure out how to flip it please post.

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
Should be here today,or tomorrow.I will do a follow up,when I have used it enough to make a decision. I'm not worried about not being able to use the leather belt with the platen.I would never run leather with a forward running belt.That's just asking for stitches.Sand paper wont grab the steel like leather will. Till later!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
By the time you've spent $75 on the HF unit and the guide, you can get the Worksharp for $69.
IMO a better unit since using the leather belt on the HF unit is not a good idea.

Christian Bow Hunters of America

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by NC BowBender:
By the time you've spent $75 on the HF unit and the guide, you can get the Worksharp for $69.
IMO a better unit since using the leather belt on the HF unit is not a good idea.

I bought one of these for my Dad this past Christmas, haven't had a chance to get an update from him on how it works.  I sharpened a few kitchen knifes with it right when he took it out of the box and it seemed to work pretty good.  But they were in decent shape before I started - would like to see it work on something real dull.
Some good online videos for it.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
FYI- Talked to the die/technician at Wheatland/Surgi-sharp today.  He said they have heard of no real problems in their 25 years.  The only issue would be turning the knife on the jig so as to catch the edge of the paper, cutting the paper in a "New York Second" as he called it. :)But even that he has heard little about.

One reason he likes the belt coming "into" the blade is you can see as the edge rolls evenly.

He said most of the guys he knows use the jig with a 150 grit to just get the edge set.  From there they freehand with finer grit and the leather belt just as Jason showed in his podcast.

Hope that helps.  5 minutes from the horse's mouth.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
Nc bowbender,
 The work sharp only does convex sharpening where as the harbor freight unit does both convex or can do flat grind sharpening. That is a huge advantage if the sharpening methods are important to you.
 The harbor freight unit is 40 bucks and you do not need the jig. So far I have done about 100 knives and a dozen heads on the sander with out a jig and it works perfect and makes everything wicked sharp.

The work sharp unit is a good unit and has made many people be able to sharpen knives. But it is more limited than the cheaper harbor freight model.

Like I said the jig is not needed as you see I don't use one in the video. But for someone struggling with correct angles the jig would be a benefit in the beginning.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
The work sharp does a great job on knives.  I am sharpening impaired ( probably a genetic safety mechanism to address my clumsiness) and I can easily get knives very sharp quickly with it.  Have not figured out how to do broadheads w it, but would like to see a guide or modification to use it for them.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
That's pretty good stuff Jason. I've listened to your podcasts many times making long drives to/from the lease.

Anybody who has any interaction with HF probably knows about their routine 20% off coupons. I got them coming via texts, email, mail, back of magazines, etc! Always have that coupon at the ready!
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
I would like to find a way to be able to sharpen knives and heads easily.  I seem to be able to screw it up fairly quickly.

There are a couple systems I've seen that look like they would work great for people like me.

You could use that belt sander for other stuff too.  You could even use it to start making your own knives if you were so inclined.  I'd like to have one to make a few tabs with.

Nalajr

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 11:06:00 PM »
I have a belt sander I have used. I used a 220 or 240 grit and then went straight to a hard felt wheel on. A buffer to polish.
I never liked broadheads on it as the ferrule on some heads wouldn't let me get the right angle. I have since bought a Razors Edge Sharpening System
I feel it is the best sharpening system I have ever used. Knifes broadheads or other tools . It is all freehand but. Not. To tough to figure out and the whole system  is under $50

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
How well would it work for a,3 blade like a woodsman?
Tim.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
Tim I have tried a hand held belt sander mounted in a vice--(like a horizontal belt sander would be) and ran the woodmans on it with the belt going from tip to back--broadhead pointed right down the belt or parallel with it.  It did help me get them sharper than with a file alone, but still not "hair popping" sharp.  I don't know if running it perpendicular  to the belt would cause it to grab.  I have difficulty getting my three blades as sharp as two blades and am certainly interested in some pointers.  Have watched a lot of the youtube videos on woodsman sharpening.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mr. fingers:
How well would it work for a,3 blade like a woodsman?
Tim.
works great on everything from small broadheads to huge boradheads, and little knives to big kitchen knives.
 If you watch the video you will see how you drag the knife across the belt.
If you google knife sharpening services you will see that most companies that sharpen knives use the same belt sander as I show to do every size knife from paring knives to 10 inch butcher knives.
When you read about us going tip to back that means going perpendicular to the belt in a right to left or left to right motion starting with the tip first and ending at the back of the head. It works great but I find it easier to go back to tip as I can roll out the tip at the end.
 The bst thing about the belt sander is the speed. I can take a broadhead from super dull to shaving sharp in about 1 minute. I still take it farther than that by hand stropping after the belt sander. But what used to take 10-15 mins a head now takes 3 to 4 mins and gets the same results.  
 on my knives what used to take 10 mins now takes 2 mins.
my kitchen knives were the one thing that was going to get me divorced. my wife was always yelling at me to sharpen kitchen knives. I hate sharpening kitchen knives! now my wife has the sharpest kitchen knives in the state!
 I used to hate it when I would chip a knife blade or bend or break a tip. now 3 mins later and its back to perfect.
I also hate buying a new knive and having to reset the angle to the angle I like as it would take me 30-40 mins to change the angle. now it takes about a minute on the belt sander.
 I used to take my mower blades in to be sharpend at the hardware store and pay money 2 times a year. now my mower blades are super sharp and ready to go in a few mins on the belt sander.
 When I make my kydex knive sheaths and holsters I used to do all the detail work on a grinder, now its fast and easy and cleaner on the belt sander. I used to sharpen my machetes hatchets and axes with a file that took about 15 mins a tool to do. Now with the belt sander they are as sharp as I want and all nicks and dings removed in about 2 mins a tool.

So the belt sander is a great tool for many things and I love having it for all my sharpening needs.
There are some amazing sharpeners out there. The KME is amazing, Edge Pro is great, Sandpaper is my favorite for free hand, etc. But this belt sander is one tool I will not be without again now that I have one. It takes 5 or 6 knives sharpened to get the hang of it but then its smooth sailing with everything and your new best friend.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the response    :thumbsup:    
So why  do you think you get better result stropping by hand over the leather belt. When I stop my WW I find the longer i strop them the keener the edge just about hair poppin sharp but I usually get tired and stop where they seem sharp enough. I would think with the belt by lightening up on the pressure you could get them shavin sharp faster?
Tim.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
Tim I actually made a mistake and didn't read your post about the 3 blade heads right and jumped the gun.
 I have not done 3 blade heads on the belt sander and I'm not sure how well it would work if you wanted to keep the angle steep enough that the other blade would touch the belt.
 I'm not saying it couldn't be done and if I shot 3 blade I would find a way to make it work just to be able to use the belt sander. But I've not tried it with 3 blade heads.
Sorry for not noticing that earlier.

As for the stropping you are probably right that I could get better results stropping in the sander but I have not found that to be the case yet. Probably to much pressure and not enough practice yet. But I think I will eventually be able to strop fast and just as sharp after more practice on the belt sander.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
LB hntr: thanks for the post, I have a dozen Grizzly BHs that I decided to try out this coming hunting season and I own the KME BH sharpener and I will tell you I was so frustrated that I had made up my mind to get rid of the Grizzlies, they do shoot awesome out of my bows I will be buying this setup and keep the grizzly BHs now. BTW do you have a website for the leather belt that you could share as well? again thanks Richard

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
That's pretty cool.

You need to invest in a heater in your shop!!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Bisch

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
Watching your videos I think Bisch might be on to something.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »
Richard you can order the leather belt at pro sharpening supplies and other places. But pro sharpening was half the price as amazon.

Bisch,
 I have a huge salamander heater that works great right now but its loud and heat leaves fast as its in insulated.
 Insulating and a good heater is on the to-do list. But my wife is in control of the order things get done on that list. Seems that things like redoing bathroom, new carpet, new kitchen floor, new deck, etc keeps getting ahead of the garage on that list!

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
I was just razzing you a bit! It looked cold in there and you just had on a couple shirts. I would have looked like the Michelin Man if it got that cold down here. I don't see how y'all hunt in the frigid north!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©