3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sasquatch SS review  (Read 507 times)

Offline coldwinterlake

• Trad Bowhunter
Sasquatch SS review
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »
Hello gang!

I've had some time to play with my new bow and though now I finally could make a short review of it.
As some have already seen on another thread, this is 62" Bigfoot Sasquatch SS.

Riser is bocote and zebra with cocobolo overlays and limbs are actionboo with zebra veneers and cocobolo tip veneers. This cocobolo is very hard to catch on a photo, it changes color from almost orange to vine red in different light conditions.

[/url] [/IMG]
 [/url] [/IMG]

This bow is 60#@29.5" but it has more power that one could expect..... I had hard time tuning my arrows and eventually they were too weak.
I started with CE 250s shafts with 100gr brass inserts and 125gr field points cut to 31" and thought this might be very close guess.

Boy I was wrong, my arrows were noodles and they wobbled so badly they flew like fluflus. I started to shorten these bit by bit and ended up at 29.5" which is the shortest I can go. Still they are too weak for this bow and I have to order some 350s.
I'm getting "adequate" arrow flight now but this beast gives too much punch for these poor shafts  :D

These arrows are about 550gr (~9gpp) so I'm getting some serious arrow speeds, way over 200fps. I have been shooting too high all the time because this is really flat shooting bow and I'm not used to it yet. I think my arrows start to drop after 25-30 yards or so. I wouldn't shoot any game farther than maybe 30 yards so this is going to make things very easy once I'm dialed in!

One other funny things is that I'm used to shoot bows between 45-54 pounds but the draw with this bow is sooooo smooth and linear that even I feel the extra pounds the draw is so different it's not demanding any extra effort.
It's hard to explain but it's like drawing a compound, first inches are pretty heavy but once I reach my anchor it's like locked in place. Last few inches are little lighter and it acts like an indicator which allows me to hold it very effortlessly.

Also the mass of this bow makes miracles to my shooting; like a counterweight that helps me to maintain the alignment and perfectly shaped grip with enough flat surface keeps my hand in the correct place. No hassle needed. I jsut draw and if my release is good enough, this shoots just where I look.

All these features makes my other bows look and feel like toys. Not that my other bows aren't good shooters but this SS has all the things I could hope for in the same beautiful package. Totally worth the wait time and every cent.

Two of my other bows is in sale right now, I don't think I'm going to spend enough time with them anymore......  

[/url] [/IMG]
This arrow was shot from 35 yards. The penetration I got with quite light arrows is amazing. That "foam" is about 18 layers of 1/2" camping underlays glued together. Other arrows went thru the 3D deer and still pushed additional inch into foam behind it.  :scared:  
 [/url] [/IMG]

Truly amazing bow, thank you for building me this, Kirk!  :goldtooth:
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS 62" 60#
Martin Hunter 62" 55#
Mukkanuoli Toorum 60" 56#
Falco Trophy  68" 44#

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sasquatch SS review
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »
Great bows!

Amazingly quiet for a recurve....

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
Great looking bow. Kirks bows are awful hard on targets. I love my Sasquatch.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
Unbelieveable bows. My Sasquatch is the only bow I have ever owned that is as good as my Eaglewings, at least that is how they shoot to me

. Kirk is not only a master craftsman but he completely understands the dynamics of bow building to get the complete bow. Anywone wanting the best should try one of these out. I can honestly say that I highly doubt that there is a better all around performance bow being built in the entire world. When you shoot a bow and the arrow thumping the target is the loudest sound you hear that is a sweet thing. That happens with most guys after you shoot it enough to stop shooting over the target.

God bless, Steve

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
That's a beauty, in more ways than one!!   What are the overlays?   :thumbsup:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
That sure is pretty !!!   :notworthy:    :clapper:    

Bill

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
Very Beautiful Bow, Congrats!  :thumbsup:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
Truly gorgeous bow, very nice wood combinations. Like you I am loving my SS she is very quick and extremely stable. Kirk's grips are perfect.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
really good looking bow, one day I will own a SS from Kirk.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by iohkus:
That's a beauty, in more ways than one!!   What are the overlays?    :thumbsup:  
These are Cocobolo overlays.... Here's a couple with a bit of color.

Thanks for the kinds words Henri....Here are the photos i told you i'd share with you.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
Everyone that I have corresponded with who got one of Kirk's bows has had to go to a stiffer spined arrow. Myself included.
Steve nailed it , when you release the next sound you hear is the arrow slamming the target. My Trad Only's cut 32" with 350 gr up front announce their presence with authority. You are going to have a great time with that bow.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
That's a gorgeous bow  ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
Now I want one
Self reliance cannot be bought

Online trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
now I need one!!

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
Kirk makes some fine bows!

a lot of the characteristics you described are shared by my two RER statics. just shows that both bowyers have done a masterful job with their limb designs.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
She's a beauty for sure.
Sure do like the way Kirk makes em look.
Love the way those riser woods come together.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
I have an all Black and white ebony that is just amazing. When things finally settle down I will get some pics up and a review. Can't go wrong with one of these bows.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
After I ordered and received my special Sas LB, the next year Kirk happened to be back east and brought a few of the SS with him to a shoot.  I had the pleasure of putting up a camp table down at the range for guys to try and I got to shoot several.

I will never abandon my Sassy Lady LB, but it was hard NOT to love several of the grips and features of the then new SS RC.  Indeed, I was shooting bows much heavier than I can shoot and doing so well! I knew it next day, but my, oh, my...

Getting Kirk to build me a custom grip was money well spent and his attention to limb design and both vertical and horizontal stability, forced me like others to have to go up in spine a good bit to harness the extra power! And I only shoot 47#!

Go figure! That is one dynamic bow and such a pretty buggar! Enjoy the future. It only gets better!!!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Great looking bow.  I have a '60 SS on order that should be getting underway pretty quickly.  Cant Wait!

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
That is one beautiful bow! And wow on the penetration! Very nice!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©