3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rocky Miller  (Read 540 times)

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
Rocky Miller
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Is he still around and making bows? Just curious.

Offline Rusty Izatt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rocky Miller
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
No he has not made bows in years. To bad, he made nice ones.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
My Dad and uncle shot his bows for many years. He really did make some nice ones.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
No longer around. He sold the business to a fellow who moved the operation to PA. He didn't last long in the business.

I owed the Heritage recurve and later Rocky sent me his "new" Predator T/D. Loved his bows, they shot great.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
Thanks, guys. I ran across an article about him in an old Field and Stream. Very impressed.

Offline Harleywriter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
I've been looking for a Heritage recurve for years. They are rare as hen's teeth for sale. I think RM quit making bows somewhere around 1993-94. I think he lives in the southwest now.
Schafer Silvertip; Mahaska longbow; Highwood Hunter; Bear Super Kodiak and way too many others

Offline Sacred mt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
Traditional archery society.  He's a sponsor on that site.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 01:56:00 AM »
See story in Traditional Bowyers of America, by Dan Bertalan. 1st or 2nd Ed. (1989 & 2007), one of many in the well documented books.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
I had a couple of his bows, a recurve and a longbow. His shop was in a basement of a building along Main St in Bozeman. Shot a few critters with those bows, but they got too heavy for me, and they found new homes.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:
No longer around. He sold the business to a fellow who moved the operation to PA. He didn't last long in the business.  
Duane worked with Rocky for a while and then bought the biz and moved back to PA as you say.  I thought he was around for several years... on a more personal note, as I see it noteworthy, Duane's parents took in foster kids and often adopted them.  Duane and his new wife followed in those footsteps and several of their adoptees required special medical attention.

Duane was a trained machinist and didn't feel he could get sufficient return on bows to support his family, so he ventured out into doing gunsmithing again and sold off his holdings of inventory, etc.

I picked up one of his heritage bows, a RC that he had left and it was a fine, sweet shooter!

Duane was a fine bowyer in his own right and it was sad that his obligations precluded him staying in the business.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sacred mt:
Traditional archery society.  He's a sponsor on that site.
Rocky is not a sponsor on TAS.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Sacred mt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 01:12:00 AM »
David , you are right.  I have mistaken Herb Meland(Pronghorn Custom Bows) for Rocky. My apology. Senior Moment:(
Sacred mt

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
LOL, no apology needed......I have those moments all the time any more.  And did I mention that I have those moments all the time any more?   :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Here is a photo of the Heritage. I need to find 2 photos I took when my buddy and I chronographed a few bows back in 1986. My Heritage was 57# at 27"

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
Here is Rocky's Predator...

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
Rocky moved to New Mexico and became a fishing guide the last I heard.  Mark Baker knew him fairly well and may stop in and give an update if he sees this thread.  I have had one of his Bridger Mountain longbows for over twenty years, used it to take a black bear and several deer one year.  I picked up one of his recurves on CraigsList in decent condition last summer for $150, but the previous owner had sanded the writing off when he refinished the riser.  Still haven't had a chance to shoot it.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©