3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two blade and three blade heads  (Read 588 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Two blade and three blade heads
« on: January 27, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes doc heads and which one to use. Two blade for such and such set up? Three blade for such and such? Or is it a preference and it doesn't matter the set up? I hear that the two blade coc is better for penetration. The only experience I have with two blade heads are rage from a wheel bow. I would think any sharp coc head put in the right place would be deadly no matter the poundage or set up. Its a long way off for hunting but I would like to get some heads to practice with this spring.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two blade and three blade heads
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
Here is my take on it.
To be 2 blades are easier to sharpen to hair popping edges. They will kill a deer deader than dirt if put in the right place. Some will plane if the arrow is tuned perfectly.
The cut a slice that "can" close up causing little external blood loss.
3 blades  will make a hole and often will produce more blood on the ground.
To me they are harder to sharpen without special tools. Its just the angles of the blades.
But again, they will kill deer deader than dirt also.
Some it comes down to personal preference and what makes you feel the best.
2 recommendations are (3 blade) Snuffer
(2 blade) Simmons
Both very nasty on animals
Slickhead

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
sharpening would be a difficult task for me probably, never done it before.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
See if you can see some ( visit with folks) and have them show you.  

I think most of us will truthfully tell you that if you stay reasonable, and learn how to get the blade sharp, and learn how to put it where it belongs (where. .  is another task for you to learn, if you don't already know), any of the popular heads will work just fine.

We all have our favorites, but really, any of them will be fine.  

Zwickey heads are relatively inexpensive, relatively easy to sharpen and are great heads.  Perfect to start (and use forever).  There are really expensive heads that work great too.  As you gain in experience, try others and chose your own.
ChuckC

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
I prefer three blades, have used them on whitetails, mule deer, elk, antelope and hogs. No problems with penetration and I think they are easier to sharpen than two blades. I had one bad experience with two blades and switched. They all will work.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JDow3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
I just switched to trad myself from compound. Ur even with my compound set up I always used Magnus Stinger's. They're two blade with a bleeder. Last season I took a doe at 12 yards right in the sweet spot and she ran less than 20 yards and died very quickly.

I'm thinking about Zwickys two blade. Im not sure how necessary the little bleeder blades are but I'm confident in a two blade set up. O bought some 3 blade woodsman from 3rivers but didn't like the way they flew. Might wanna just give it a try and see what flies good for you.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
VA,
Don't be afraid to learn how to sharpen.  It's part of the traditional way.  Some folks are naturally talented at it, for others (like myself) it takes a heck of a lot of practice and study.  For me, sharpening my broadheads is just another step in the hunt.  It's part of the preparation, no different than organizing gear, or scouting.

I am able to get 2 bladed heads much sharper than 3 bladed heads.  That's what I've used.  I WILL get to where I can sharpen 3 blades.  It isn't really a matter of "I can't, so I just won't use them."  

I tinker a lot.  I love the tuning, building arrows, tweaking my setup just a teeny, tiny little bit to squeak out a little extra performance.  Mostly of the year I am almost totally hairless as a result of sharpening my broadheads.  It's one of my wife's favorite jibes.

You can do it brother, just keep it up.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
some people feel that with lower draw weight bows you should stay with two blade heads . Other than that I don't feel it matters if they are sharp and placed correctly
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
lower weight bows would anything under 55#?

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
My own general rule of thumb is to strive to develop some moderate level of knowledge with respect to my own equipment and the quarry I pursue.  From there, I may select a particular broadhead design in an attempt to provide the desired end result.

I am constantly learning.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Doeslayer_67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Va, I went to 2 blades this year. im shootinf Tigersharks now, and don't think I'll go  back

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
I would say below 40 lb
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
This can be a divisive topic. If you shoot a deer-sized animal through the lungs most heads will work very well, but if you make a poor shot or hunt larger game the two blade is usually the better choice. I use Grizzly 2-blades...they fly well, put two holes through anything, and leave short blood trails.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
My 2 cents is this...if you are shooting a lower poundage bow then 2 blades give better penetration if you up the bow pounds then 3 blades have no problems and give a little more cut area. Some will disagree but I feel 50# is a good rule of thumb cut off...over 50 any broadheads will work great under 50 a sharp 2 blade really helps...
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 06:07:00 AM »
I've killed 29 whitetails w/ 3 blade, 2 blade, and 4 blade heads. When I killed my 1st w/ a 160 snuffer, I was sold. Since then I killed deer w/ bows from upper 40lbs to 77lbs w/ those snuffer. The key is to have your arrow to bow tuned well.
One season I was shooting a 68lbs bow w/ 700gr snuffer tipped arrows. It was the most difficult bow I have ever try to tune. Shot 2 deer w/ it under 15yrds and never got a passthru. I then switched to a upper 40lbs bow shooting a very well tuned 600gr snuffer tipped arrow and shot completely thru a large doe at 8yrds. Arrow sticking in the ground!

I also use the Snuffer Tamer to sharpen them. A lot on here will say they are taboo to use but for me it has been by far the most effective way to sharpen 3 blade heads.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 07:10:00 AM »
2 blade with under mid forty pound bows at 28" or more draw, generally. As overbo said, well tuned is very important. It will also depend on what your hunting. Texas whitetail or  Canadian moose for example.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 07:33:00 AM »
Va whitetails . Not all that big average buck is 130-140#

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
Sharp is the most important ingredient. For those with less sharpening skills, I always recommend Zwicky Eskimoes or Bear Razorheads. We have had exceptional success with both.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Don't get me wrong, Im going to make every effort to learn how to sharpen, I just don't want to get the most difficult ones to begin with. according to the estimated numbers, Im pulling 47#, 466 gr arrow, with 19% FOC for about 180 fps. All this is just a ball park from the Stu Cal. but it helps with the decision.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
I personally think you can't beat a two blade . The nice thing about shooting traditional is you can do what you want your own way .
I guess if I was going after game that is bigger or tougher than a deer sized animal , I would only use two blade .
And as said on other posts ,Zwickey Eskimos are hard to beat .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©