3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Aluminum Shafting  (Read 826 times)

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching Aluminum Shafting
« on: January 28, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
I need help with a glue that bonds fletchings to an aluminum shaft.  I have used Bohning Platinum with very poor results. With the Platinum glue a very thin veneer is formed between the fletching and the shaft which eventually falls off.  I have also tried Duco with very poor results as well.  I’ve also tried glues that have been mentioned on this site by other members and the results have been dismal.  For example, I tried Gorilla Glue and the results were terrible. With the Gorilla Glue a small strip of glue on the quill expands and makes a mess on the shafting and requires that it be applied to a damp surface.

The local archery shop does not fletch and sell aluminum shafts, only carbons. They were telling me that Bohing has changed the forumla for the Platinum glue which bonds quite well with aluminum shafts but they cannot sustantiate that claim. Can anyone here substantiate that claim?  How do you know that you are getting the new formula when you buy a tube of Platinum?  What alternative glues can be used with success to fletch aluminum shafts?

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Aluminum Shafting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
Have you ever tried fletching tape? I think some fletching tape with a dab of superglue at the front and back/down the sides should do the trick no problem.

I've had no problems with Fletchtite Platinum, but then again I don't fletch many aluminum arrows.

Someone else may be able to chime in with some crafty ways here, that's all I got.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
I usually crown dip with Bohning products so the Platinum glue holds well. The few times I glued feathers on bare aluminum, I wiped down the shaft thoroughly with 91% Isopropyl.

After letting it dry, fletch w/o any problems. Always make sure a good glue line on the base and the feather seats firmly on the shaft.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
Ron,

I've had poor results with FletchTite Platinum and Duco on aluminum as well, even when I've slightly roughed up the shaft surface with very fine sandpaper and cleaned it with denatured alcohol or acetone.  Especially if the feathers got damp-- then some of the feathers would lift off fairly easily after a little more shooting.

I now use Bohning fletch tape on aluminum, and it works great.  I put a drop of Duco at the front and back of feather.  I haven't had a feather come off yet with fletch tape.

The suggestion above about using a drop of super glue at the front and back of the taped feather may be a better idea than Duco (I'd use super glue gel-- it's thicker).  I've found that the Duco doesn't really bond all that well to the shaft, and I sometimes have to cut/scrape the dot of Duco off the front of the feather and redo it because it's lifted off the shaft.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
I have heard of some that have had problems with fletching aluminum with Platinum.I haven't experienced any problems with Platinum on aluminum arrows.I clean the shaft with alcohol and then fletch without a problem.I have gone through quite a few tubes.I use Platinum for all my fletching with aluminum and carbons with wraps.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
I am gonna find out soon as I am planning on buying a lot of fletching supplies at the kzoo show coming up.  But I have also been told the tape works good on aluminum and that if you insist on using glue, then the one to use on aluminum is the Saunders NPV Arrow Mate Cement.  I am going to pick up a few tubes of it this weekend and try it on some 2016 gamegetters.
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
I use NPV on all types of arrows....works great for me,,,

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
I scrub my aluminum shafts with "Comet" and a stiff brush, then rinse them well.  After completely air drying I use the FletchTite Platinum.  I've never had a problem using this method.

For wood shafts I use Duco cement and have had good results with that as well.

Lots of people prefer tape, but I've never felt any need to use it.  I guess I just enjoy the process using a glue or cement.

Bernie

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
Frankly, I place a wrap on every arrow I fletch now.  I know what sticks to it and have had great luck doing this.
ChuckC

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
flex-bond does a great job for me

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
When I used aluminum, I always used the Bohning aluminum arrow prep solution on the shafts. You basic rubbed it on with it soaked in a cloth, let it sit and then rinsed with water and air dry. Once done, don't touch the area to be fletched with fingers to avoid finger oil on the shaft. Using bohning fletch tight, I never had any feathers come off after using the prep solution.  The other alternative is a wrap or dipping. I'm not a fan of the tape. Used it and had my feathers bend over in hot weather.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
I buy my arrows already fletched from a friend who has been selling fletched arrows for a long time...he uses fletching tape with every type of arrow...when he sells his arrows to his local archery shops he guarantees the feathers will not come off and he has never had to follow up on that guarantee...I have shot his arrows into wet grass, left the arrow there over night finding it the next day...I simply washed the fletching off blowing it dry a bit with a hair dryer and then letting it air dry...if you look at that arrow today you would not be able to tell it from the rest of the ones he fletched...most of the arrows I buy and shoot today are actually aluminum, either all aluminum or aluminum over carbon (Easton Full Metal Jacket)...I am torture testing some of his work right now with arrows that have missed the target outside and will be lost in the snow until spring

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
When I do fletch my own arrows I use some old white tube Fletchtite I managed to locate...it is still far better than the earlier Platinum...I do know Bohning has claimed to have fixed that issue, but I really have no need to find out now

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
My problem with fletch tape is if your feather bases are not absolutely perpendicular to the rest of the fletch they will eventually lay over. Tape has no filling qualities. Do yourself a favor and go to Walmart (other places too)and get some E 6000 glue.It fills gaps and stays flexible. Big old tube for 3 bucks. Works on wood carbon and aluminum.One glue fits all no need for stocking two or three. I have fletched to date about 4 dozen arrows of carbon , aluminum and wood and as of yet have not one loosen or come off.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
I used fletching tape on my alum shafts for many years.  Now I have been using carbons for many years and still using the tape.  I have never had a problem with tape.  The great thing about tape is it lasts in my archery box.  Seems when using glue, every time I needed to do some fletching the glue was dried out and then had a make a trip (25 miles) into town for glue.  Now while you are making a trip to buy glue, I have already finished fletching using the tape and I am out shooting. ha

Offline hart2hart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Has anyone tried spraying contact cement  on the shaft first..letting it dry and then fletch?I've done so many NASP shafts I don't know if it really worked or not.
Mike

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
Saunders NPV
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
The original fletchtite worked good on bare Easton aluminum using acetone, feathers would stay on for years.  Now with the platinum I either crown dip with bohning products or use wraps.   My feathers will stay on for years in all kinds of weather and temperature ranges.  Just my opinion of what works good for me, and I've tried most of the other products.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
Another NPV glue guy here. Clean alum with comet and hot water. I have tried home store glues like E6000, had marginal sucess.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
NPV
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©