3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Moose Hunting  (Read 532 times)

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad Moose Hunting
« on: January 28, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
I have been reading some of the old threads here on Moose hunting in Alberta and NF as well as doing research. I am looking at Maine as well but drawing will be the issue there as many of you know. Does anyone on here have knowledge on a Trad friendly Moose outfitter or just a Moose outfitter that is good with bowhunters for that matter? Mostly looking at Canada for now. Any stories or recommendations would be helpful.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Moose Hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
There has been a lot of talk about one guy in maine but I cant remember his name I hope one the smart ones jumps in here to help you.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
Contact biggie Hoffman. I remember seeing his picture on the website that offers maine bear as well as moose. Starts with a S..
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »
I was going to check out Eldon's just thought it took years if ever to draw a Maine moose permit. I have a good friend who has been trying for 18 years.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
I thought Eldon sold his operation?

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I thought Eldon sold his operation?
Might have.. The number I called on his website went to someone else's voicemail so you may be right.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Ernie Holland may still be outfitting on the Moose John River in Alaska.  That's the hunt Jay Massey used to offer.  Good hunt.  Did it twice.  Killed a nice bull the second time. Quite a few years ago. Don't know what's happening there now.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
PM Bill Carlson, He'll have all the info you'll need regarding Eldon
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
I think their is a couple in Alberta, one of Fred Eichler's videos has one on it.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 04:30:00 AM »
I went to NF last year, and in my opinion there is a world of difference between a trad friendly outfitter than one that is good with bowhunters.  Calling in bulls present a variety of distances and angles when it comes to shot 'opportunities ' and y'all really need to be on the same page. I would like to plan a return trip someday so I am interested in what you come up with.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 05:55:00 AM »
Killed a bull in Newfoundland in 2013,guide got him in to 3 yards,shot him at 6 yards.Call me if you want info.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by okla bearclaw:
Killed a bull in Newfoundland in 2013,guide got him in to 3 yards,shot him at 6 yards.Call me if you want info.
Terry
And therein lies probably the biggest key to any guided hunt for moose...I suspect that is not the first moose that guide has called in that close...I have one guided moose to my credit but that was long after calling season and my hunter was shooting a rifle...my guiding buddy Pat has over 40 ticks on his birch bark call...moose calling can be a very simple process as long as you do not make any mistakes

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 06:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by TexasKing:
I went to NF last year, and in my opinion there is a world of difference between a trad friendly outfitter than one that is good with bowhunters.  Calling in bulls present a variety of distances and angles when it comes to shot 'opportunities ' and y'all really need to be on the same page. I would like to plan a return trip someday so I am interested in what you come up with.
If you want a good read sometime get a copy of Barry Wensel's book Once Upon A Tine...he relates a story about his good friend Paul Schafer and how one of Paul's friends called an elk in pretty tight for Paul...Paul decided to pass on the bull until his friend whispered to him that before they got there Paul said he would shoot any bull that showed up...Paul casually double lunged that bull at about 65 yards...there is a world of difference in shooters as well

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
I and a buddy of mine are headed to Alberta this September to hunt Bullwinkle. We had originally planned to go to NF but switched because of doubts about our NF outfitter. I did a ton of research and I would have to say that Alberta outfitters are much more bowhunting friendly than NF; especially when it comes to trad equipment.

Two Alberta outfitters that stand out are Ryk Visscher and Alberta Wilderness Guide Service. We are using Ryk. Both outfitters book up way in advance so check them out as soon as you can.

Darren

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by dhaverstick:
I and a buddy of mine are headed to Alberta this September to hunt Bullwinkle. We had originally planned to go to NF but switched because of doubts about our NF outfitter. I did a ton of research and I would have to say that Alberta outfitters are much more bowhunting friendly than NF; especially when it comes to trad equipment.

Two Alberta outfitters that stand out are Ryk Visscher and Alberta Wilderness Guide Service. We are using Ryk. Both outfitters book up way in advance so check them out as soon as you can.

Darren
Thank you for the heads up. I will check him out. After hunting the Edmonton Bowzone last year in Alberta I would have to say I'm leaning that way.

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
I have a friend who has hunted with Ryk the last three years with his LB and has shot a moose each year ... he is a shoot any moose kinda guy so none have been big. Ryk gets very few trad hunters according to my friend so I am not saying he is a trad outfitter just that it has worked for my hunting buddy.

Regardless of the outfitter you still need the guide to know what your needs are, I have hunted moose twice. The first time in BC, my first guide didn't have a clue so I discussed it with the outfitter and got a change in guides and the next day shot a small bull at 6 yards. The change made a big difference as the second guide knew trad bow hunting and his calling and hunting method was much different than the first fellow. This outfitter no longer has a concession in British Columbia.

The second hunt I went to Alberta ( not Ryk ) and hunted with a well known outfitter. Again my guide did not have a clue what trad was all about but I was stuck with him for the entire hunt. In fairness to him we had some pretty extreme weather and hunting was tough, but he really set up every time like we were rifle hunting not bow hunting. I saw one bull the entire hunt and it was at 300 yards on the last day.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
I live 10 mins from where Ryk's main hunt area is. The area has one of the highest Moose densities in Alberta.  I guided for him one year. My trad hunter saw Bulls every day. He blew a shot within 10 yds. Ryk has trad hunters almost every year. Some of his guides hunt trad. He went 9 for 10 last year. You will get an opportunity at a Bull during your hunt. FYI
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline bushwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
Call Bob Bearman in Nipigon, Ontario. I've been hunting with him since 1996. One of the toughest men I've ever met and a blast to hunt with. He knows his country like the back of his hand and will bust his butt to get a moose in front of you. I've seen some absolute Giants up there and always have an opportunity at a good bull.

807-887-3801

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
Moose is on my short list.  Enjoying the info shared so far.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©