3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It just doesn't come close.  (Read 524 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
It just doesn't come close.
« on: January 28, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
All the years I spent looking at compounds and buying a new one every few years I always thought the engineering was impressive and the technology was cool, but looking at these Black Widows, Bob Lee's and others really has opened my eyes to some beautiful craftsmanship. These bows truly are a piece of art. One day I will have one of my own. Just last Jan I dumped 1200$ on an Elite Energy 32, and it is a very nice rig, but it's collecting dust now.Got me thinking of putting it on the market. I guess the fact the someone took many hours/days/months to craft something like a custom recurve or longbow is just mind boggling
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: It just doesn't come close.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
I've spent my life outside.  Hunting, fishing, trapping.  I don't know how how many animals I've harvested with a gun...couldn't even venture a guess.  I devoted myself to traditional bowhunting totally 3 years ago.  In that time I have taken 1 animal, a whitetail doe.  I've left a lot of empty tags, and I have never been more fulfilled.  

At this point there is no doubt that bowhunting with traditional equipment is my life's passion.  I love it.  Your enthusiasm reminds me of when I first started out.  Guess what brother, it only gets worse (or better).

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Put that elite up for trade. I'm sure someone dumped a lot of money into a custom that would rather have a wheel bow now!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
I need to do it before it loses even more value. At this point, I don't want to walk in the woods with wheels. But I have to make sure Im as proficient with the recurve as I can be. I have come a long ways in just 2 weeks. I went from not hitting the target at all at 10 yds to hitting the vitals quite often at 15 yds. I still miss a lot, but I also hit where I am looking a lot. Practice almost daily. I have taken two days off in two weeks. I just have so much fun shooting it, even when i miss! If I do sell the wheels, I will look hard at an upgrade not too far down the road. I can buy a really nice set up for what I have in the wheel bow.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
I see you did't mention Robertson Stykbow....Have you seen a Robertson?    ;)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
yes I have seen them, very nice bows. So many good one out there!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
Or a Whippenstick??

A Stewart?

A Java Man?

A Centaur?

A Schafer?

A Toelke?

A Sarrels?

LOL.

There are soooo many talented bowyers out there.  Along with the hunting its a passion of mine to try them all once in this lifetime...likely not gonna happen but its fun to try.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
Stay the course, Nine.  I'd say you can try them all!!

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
Yea...yea...yea...shootem' all man. Only way to know. Shot a lot at Denton,Baltimore before I bought my Stewart Slammer.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 06:51:00 AM »
So many bows, so little time !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
I switched over a few years ago from the wheels, and like you, I wanted to make sure I was completely comfortable taking my recurve into the woods knowing I could kill something with it.

I held onto the wheels for a while just in case, but eventually told myself I would put in the time and practice enough to hunt with it the following season or not at all. I ended up trading the bow and never looked back.

I personally think not even having that option to fall back on the wheels will make you focus that much more on becoming proficient with the stick and really give you extra motivation. Just what worked for me though!
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
I took the dive over to traditional archery about twelve years ago... Something I read back then helped me along... Can't remember who wrote it or where but it was kinda like this:

"So you are new to hunting with a recurve or longbow. If you can hit a pie plate at five yards with a broadhead arrow, fine. Go hunting! Just Keep Your Shots To Five Yards And Under! Same said about ten yards. Hunt the cover and limit your shot distance, not hunting time."

That was an eye opener! Keep up with your practice. It has to be fun, not like work. Look forward to the next hunting season with your trad bow without worry. Now get out there and break some arrows!  :D

... mike ...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
10.4! My personality is one of OCD...I do nothing in moderation. When I make up my mind, it's done. Not bragging, it's just the only way I get anything done, all or nothing. I think I am going to put that bow on the market. Anybody want to buy a compound? LOL

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
Starting on a good road to follow.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
This is my fourth year shooting trad.  I've killed a bear, four deer, a pig, and various small game in that time.  I went from a 1963 Damon Howatt Monterey to a Samick Red Stag, to a Black Widow PAII, and now to a zipper nitro longbow.  Aside from the red stag, all my bows get shot and I can't imagine selling any of them.  Welcome to the fire.  I promise you that traditional archery is no a handicap.  I'm considerably more successful now than I was with training wheels.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
"OCD"?..... That's my middle name!  :dunno:  Kinda get's ya thinking, don't it? Might just be a great (persona) for trad archery after all.........  :rolleyes:
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
Ha! Yeh well I have been able to channel it into positive avenues for myself.

Offline JDow3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
I'm an all or nothing kinda guy with OCD tendencies. I wonder if that's a common trait amongst trad hunters.

I'm getting ready to put my wheelie bow up for sale. I wasn't confident enough last fall with my newly acquired Montana but already feel much more confident that I can get a clean kill. By the time the fall rolls around, I should be consistent at 20-25 yards. I've never killed a deer with a bow much beyond that anyway. My last two were both within 12 yards.

Online chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Yes, sell the compound before it's antiquated.  At this point it's safe to conclude you're never looking back.  When I was introduced to traditional my wheelie bow was over ten years old; already a mastodon at that point with no real value.  It's been in storage since 2010 where I keep the Christmas lights.  My wife says I'm OCD as well.  I correct her that I'm a type O personality; it's not a disorder...
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
I really didn't believe you guys a month ago before I owned a recurve. you all warned me, but I see it first hand now. I find myself running out in the dark at like 8:30 at night under the flood lights at 25 deg out taking 5 or 6 shots....I come back in and wife says, "what are you doing?" I say oh just messing with the bow and what not...hoping just doesn't cue in to my new sickness...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©