3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Curious. Mountain guys wear supports?  (Read 445 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Curious. Mountain guys wear supports?
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
As I am in my 50s now I have considered wearing ankle and knee supports while mountain/hiking hunting.  Any of you guys do this, consider it, know about such methods?

Thoughts???

KSDan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Curious. Mountain guys wear supports?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
Not a mountain guy necessarily, but since my last knee surgery, I wear an ACL brace for hunting.  Mostly keeps me from doing any more damage than already has been done.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
Thanks.  That is to my question Patrick- wondering why we don't just wear them when we hunt and hike hard.  Seems like it could really protect us when in the action.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
I believe I will try one out this next season. 1100 vertical feet in just over 1/2 mile with a half of a muley buck on my back, and my left knee still hasn't recovered.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
I wear them on both knees when hard hiking or when I will be pulling or lifting, e.g. cutting and hauling firewood. I pack them when I'm hunting in case I need to drag out a deer.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
I am 62 and have elk hunted in Colorado five times. The last two I used trek poles when backpacking in, averaging about four miles in.

I wouldn't backpack without them. some guys use one pole when actually hunting, but I have not felt the need to yet.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Even check out a swede-o brace.  I used them in my collegiate days for ankle injuries.  They have various versions, but they would protect your ankle and even protect from blisters.  Not sure why we don't hear of guys using these more.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
I have,  but wearing them all day can bring problems too if you don't actually totally need them. Better fitting boots have helped me more than anything, and being in shape helps too! My buddy used to wear them and he really didn't need the support he said, but the neoprene kept his knees warm which was what he really needed!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
I'll be 70 in a year or two.  I did wear an elastic bandage before I got my knee fixed. Got a new knee three years ago.  Now, I don't wear any kind of extra support.  Just a good pair of boots.  I do use a walking stick packing/hicking in, but not when I hunt.

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 11:33:00 PM »
Orion you must be pretty tough !

I don't wear any braces but my ankles have never given me trouble and my knees just a little bit and only lately. But I can't think of anyone I know that does either. One good friend does wear an elastic-type brace for his lower back.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
For ankles you need a good fitting "above" the ankle boot and proper foot beds to be sure your step is aligned correctly for good ankle support. If you have weak ankles the elastic brace may give you a bit of added help but they can also make your feet hot and sweaty, not good for long hikes or serious mountain time. If you don't have any real ankle issues just get really good boots.  

In extreme cases you could go to an Arizona brace ( it is a leather lace up brace ) and wear it inside a properly fitted boot. I had severe arthritis in both ankles due to an injury and eventually that was the only way I could do any mountain hiking. I finally gave into the pain and had both ankles replaced with a full ankle replacement. One in 2013 and one in 2014 ... I can now do moderate mountain hiking and hope to improve on that as time goes on.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
I backpacked and hunted in Colorado for the last 35 years. My right knee has been scoped about 12 years ago. I use trekking poles when packing in and carry a lightweight brace for packing out a heavy load.

I never felt the need to wear the brace all day, in fact I believe it could be worse, giving you a false sense of security and allowing the knee to relax more than work.

Good boots for ankle support are a must in my opinion. That's my experience YMMV.

Thanks, Pat
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
I hunt some rugged Rocky Mtn country and the best way to avoid injury is strong legs, ankles and common sense. No need for supports unless an injury has left you impaired.  Do full range motion exercises, especially for the ankles.  I am 55.                                                                                                 Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »
I tried them on my knees but it was counterintuitive and was worse. I'm guessing something to do with restriction of blood flow. Talking goat cliffs not rolly polly hills.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 01:17:00 AM »
LOL Stevo!

I wish I had worn mine coming off eklutna....when I stopped, my legs gave out, ended up paying for that jaunt to this day from time to time.

I carry them, but for whatever reason don't wear them very often.  Coming down with heavy loads is why I have them

For ankle support I have in the past but found good boots to fixed that issue.  That and they are kind of klunky and mess up the fit of good boots, didn't see the advantage in them.

Offline East Fork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
I use trekking poles like a few of the previous posters mentioned. I mainly use the knee sleeve type supports to keep my knees warm.  

Ed

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 11:05:00 AM »
Thanks for all the insights guys.  I hear all the "in-shape" and "good boots" comments.  Could not agree more. . .   I also use trekking poles- even a single one for most of my flatland mid-west hunting.  But even as a life-long athletic type guy- I also continue to see my human frailty. I would like to rely on my body- but it has (and will continue to) fail me as I get older.  The reason for my inquiry. . .

Thanks again all. . .

Dan in KS

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
One step at a time is the mantra I use to keep from injury in the mountains now I am over 50. The ankle exercises are something I never did when younger. They help a lot! Another training trick is set up a balance beam. Load your pack, walk the beam. Walk it eyes closed. Walk it backwards. You'll be amazed how this helps keep your balance "young".    Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©