3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Rothhaar's  (Read 1153 times)

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
The Rothhaar's
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
I'm just curious how Roger and his son Ryan are doing, I've seen Ryan on here not long ago but not recently. And Roger I believe has been slowing down a bit. Two great guys. I love to read Roger's book Whitetail Magic every fall. He was well before his time with whitetail logic. Thanks in advance, Paul

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Rothhaar's
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
Seen Roger give a Whitetail seminar back in the 80s, very informative.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
Hah. I pray I can I can slow down like Roger. He had a very good season from the grape vine. Ryan sometimes comes up to Kalamazoo. If he does I will point him here.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Yup, we're all still kickin'.  The Old Man hasn't slowed down hunting any, he still hunts pretty much every day of the season and spends about a month in the spring in Louisiana chasing pigs.  He doesn't get up into trees much anymore (he'll turn 77 in a week) and shoots bows in the low 50's lb range, mostly hunts out of semi-permanent ground blinds.  He doesn't get off the farm much anymore, afraid something will happen while he's away.  He kills a couple bucks a year, this year he targeted a couple older ones that had been around for a few years, like 7 1/2 yr old bucks, with "small" horns, they were both in the low 150's, I think.

I didn't do well on the bucks this year, I shot only a doe back of my house in early October, the deer hunting right now where I live in west central Indiana is pretty dismal between a couple bad EHD years and the mismanagement by our DNR.  On my farm in Missouri I had a good hunt in November, saw the buck I wanted to kill 6 times in 10 days, but zigged where I should have zagged a couple times and never got a shot.  That place is getting better year by year and I have high hopes for the future.

We're all still plugging away!

Thanks for the thoughts!

Ryan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
Good to hear about you and your Dad Ryan.  Hope to see you soon.
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »
Ryan good to know your dad is still hunting not surprised one bit though. We had some great times at Walters over the years, lots of bears and lots of laughs. All the Wisconsin boys are still kicking although Mike broke his back last year on an ATV accident (your dad did his bear) and has recovered. Give Roger my best.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
God bless Roger Rothhaar, what an awesome Man!  I've had several interactions with him years ago and cherish the conversations and letters he's written me, as well as his wonderful books.  A true inspiration in our sport and we owe him much for all he's given.  And Ryan has sure continued the great Rothhaar reputation.  I wish all the best for the Rothhaars!

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 05:41:00 AM »
I love hearing about the "older" guys still at it. It's a real inspiration for me.
My uncle told me of his father-in-law still making his winter wood into his eighty's, this update about Roger, only killing "smaller" bucks! Gotta be more mental than physical. Everybody starts to hurt eventually, but the WILL to continue beats all.

Thanks for the update.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
Ryan....Thanks for the update.....KY   :archer:

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
Ryan,
Good to here you and your Dad are doing well! Thanks for the update and post up some updated pictures of you and your Pops when you get a chance. I'm sure alot of us would like to see them. Take care, Paul

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
All these so called "celebrity" hunters put together don't have the experience and knowledge the Rothhaar's have.

I really enjoyed Rogers books and all the knowledge they both share. Glad they are hunting hard and doing well

Offline green valley gobbler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
Very glad to hear you and your dad are doing well Ryan.  I talked with your dad a few years back and spent a little over an hour talking with him, enjoyed it very much.  
Paul's comment a few threads above reminded me of a post Ryan shared a few years ago with us regarding a recent visit with his dad.  I really enjoyed the photos and story/info Ryan provided us with here...
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=004144;p=1

And like Paul mentioned, feel free to share some more stories and photos Ryan!

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
Just this morning I was skimming thru my copy of Whitetail Magic and got a kick out of the photo of a very young Ryan sitting on the mounted head of one of Rogers monster bucks!! Good stuff...C'mon Ryan the pressure is on!

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
I've always felt a type of "kinship" with the Rothaars, can't really explain it, and just now I realized it's probably because in my humble opinion the Snuffer is the best broadhead ever. And I feel kinda bad about not defending it when the merits of 2 blade heads threads run their course here. (I DONT WANT TO START A DEBATE!) Glad do hear you guys are doing good, tell Pop thanks for all the memories, and I'd love to see him come out with a new book.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
Met Roger and Ryan at Cloverdale a few years back. After talking with them awhile felt like I'd known them for years. Both very approachable and personable.
I love 160gr Snuffers and will use them as long as I hunt critters, big holes and short blood trails...........   :thumbsup:

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
I've never had the chance to meet any of the Rothhaars, but I did luck into one of Alan's Piercers and an extra set of limbs.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
Good to hear things are well.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"