3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Testing some different strings  (Read 830 times)

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Testing some different strings
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:02:00 AM »
I get more and more questions from customers asking which is the "best" string. Instead of just selling what is easier to build, or whatever is the "in" material right now, I prefer to actually test different things to give some insight in to what I am offering.

I built the following strings to test. I listed their finished weight, and the speed I got from each one using the same bow/arrow combo for each.

Each string has the same length serving, and the same size/location of whiskers, as well as padding in the loops to make them all similar there as well. The 12 strand Rhino is just slightly thicker in dia. than the 18 strand Fury and BCY-X.

12 strand Rhino     140 grains     178 fps
18 strand Fury      131 grains     179 fps
18 strand X         147 grains     177 fps
8 strand Ultra Cam  140 grains     178 fps.

On the 8 strand Ultra Cam, the double serving puts more weight right in the center of the serving where it is most critical.

From what I have found, a moderate size string gives good performance without sacrificing stability.

The noise level from each of the tested strings was so close, I won't even comment on it. One would need a good db meter to tell the difference.

I hope this sheds a little light to those who don't get a chance to actually test different strings. I know this isn't a complete test of every string possible, but it does show that some material may have a little advantage over others.

I have been using Rhino for the past couple years with great success. I have just started stocking Fury, and am really excited about it. The amount of creep (or lack of) is incredible! It and X are the lowest creep materials that I have used.

I don't have any allegiance to either bowstring material company. I choose what seems best for me, and my customers with an open mind through testing like this.

If you have any questions, or would like to see me test something different, just ask!  I love trying new stuff.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Testing some different strings
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to compare and post.
What is fury and rhino made with?
shoot straight shoot often

Online dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
That is some good, and very interesting, information. Thanks!

Darren

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
I am amazed how close in speed they all are.

Thanks Allen.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
It seems that string weight is the differences.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
I wonder if no string silencers vs string silencers if the fps would be as close as this test
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
Good stuff.  My results were the same with moderate size strings.  Add to that less stretch/creep and increased durability.

Anyone that knows me knows I am biased towards BCY.  That is because over the last two decades they have earned it through far superior customer service, products, and openness about their products.  But that's my experience.  I still have my picks of their materials that I feel work the best for traditional bows.

Its always good to keep testing.  Keeping in mind that speed is just one aspect, and the mass weight of the string is the big factor there.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
I know everyone says those new materials are much faster but I wonder how b55 and even b50 compare in that same test...especially for those with older bows....just to see how muchnif any you give up. Thanks for the test I love to see comparison.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by katman:
Thanks for taking the time to compare and post.
What is fury and rhino made with?
Here is a quote from Brownell that we dug up during testing:

-completely different material than Rhino, highest grade UHMWPE Brownells has ever used, its not just smaller dia. Rhino
-shinier appearance than Rhino or BCY-X, not quite as smooth as XS2 or Rhino when finished, but smoother than  BCY-X
-less stretch than BCY-X or 452x
-stiffer than XS2/ similar stiffness to Rhino
-Rhino typically has a softer shot feel than BCY-X, Fury is somewhere in between the two in this regard
-smaller strand size allows 'rounder' finished string or cable

Also from Brownells:

We have multiple suppliers for our HMPE products, therefore we cannot use the branded "Dyneema" name because DSM is not our sole supplier. HMPE is not a play in words, its the what the material is, plain and simple. The grading of material is based on the supplier and all suppliers have different grades. No one on our side has ever stated that Rhino is SK90.

Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE, UHMW) is a subset of the thermoplastic polyethylene. Also known as high-modulus polyethylene, (HMPE), or high-performance polyethylene (HPPE), it has extremely long chains, with a molecular mass usually between 2 and 6 million u. The longer chain serves to transfer load more effectively to the polymer backbone by strengthening intermolecular interactions. This results in a very tough material, with the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic presently made.[1]

UHMWPE is odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic.[2] It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals except oxidizing acids; has extremely low moisture absorption and a very low coefficient of friction; is self-lubricating; and is highly resistant to abrasion, in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel. Its coefficient of friction is significantly lower than that of nylon and acetal, and is comparable to that of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, Teflon), but UHMWPE has better abrasion resistance than PTFE.[3][4]

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Fastltz:
I know everyone says those new materials are much faster but I wonder how b55 and even b50 compare in that same test...especially for those with older bows....just to see how muchnif any you give up. Thanks for the test I love to see comparison.
I have tried this before comparing B55 to a FF. I got right at 8 fps slower with B55.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
I find comparisons such as this very interesting. Whether the speed might vary a few fps with a different chrono is, to me, immaterial. What is important is the relative performance given as few variables as possible - same chrono, same serving diameter, same string silencers, same bow, same arrows.

I would also be curious to see how 12 strand BCY-X would have compared to the 18 strand X.

The important thing appears to be that there are not going to be huge differences in speed from any of the current FF strings and other aspects such as durability, appearance and cost may be more important. Cost would also have to be drastically different to influence me because I don't buy a new string every week.

Nice work and thanks.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
Nice testing Allen. I have settled on the 8 strand Ultra cam from you. Sounds and feels best to ME.  Bill

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bullfrog 1:
Nice testing Allen. I have settled on the 8 strand Ultra cam from you. Sounds and feels best to ME.  Bill
The 8 strand Ultra Cam strings are very nice. The one benefit can be in tuning. If you have an arrow that is too stiff for your bow with a standard string, going to a skinny string will allow the arrow to tune weaker. Not necessarily faster, but weaker.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:

I would also be curious to see how 12 strand BCY-X would have compared to the 18 strand X.

Nice work and thanks.
I will build one this coming week and test it. I have a feeling it will end up very much like the 8 strand Ultra Cam string as far as weight and speed. I will post results as soon as I get time to build and test it.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
One more thing, I set each string up with a clicker, drawing exactly 27". I used the same 3 arrows for each chrono test, and posted the average of 10 shots each.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Great test,Allen;thanks for posting.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
One of the most detail oriented bowhunters\\customer\\friend I have still prefers D97. It is still a great material.

He buys so many bows, that he keeps me well practiced with that material. Just sayin'   :saywhat:

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
This is a good thread....interesting to me because I've been thinking/wondering about strings and string add ons etc.

I just bought a Black Widow SiW (Short Iron Wood) 56" built in 2001.  Black Widow recommended their #300 BW RECURVE Flemish Twist Dyna 97 string.  The bow came with one installed and a brand new one in the package.  I've been wondering what other string options I have that might improve the efficiency of the bow or is this string the "best choice".  

Also...regarding silencers and other add ons....I've got two of the hush puppy silencers AND two of the black widow spider silencers on the string....the bow is very quiet but I wonder how much speed I'd gain by playing with various silencers.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
What was the length of strings and serving? Thanks
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by 3arrows:
What was the length of strings and serving? Thanks
The strings I tested are all 58 1/2". The serving is .021 in the 3 thicker strings. The 8 syrand string is double served with .017/.022. All the servings are 7" in length

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©